i have an interview!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamer_1

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if any of you could help!
I have been qualified since June last year but have only been doing family and friends! couldn't do what I had planned to do which was work in a salon straight away as my mum had just had a baby and had a slipped disc in her back which meant I had to basically do everything with my baby brother until she recovered from surgery which wasn't until November!
Problem is, by then I had lost lot of confidence in myself as had only been doing nails on family an friends!!
I'm now really determined to start doing nails properly in a salon and have just managed to get an interview for Monday next week!!! :green: which I'm so chuffed about but really terrified as I've never done a nail interview before! normal interviews are bad enough!!! :rolleyes:
wonder if anyone could give me advice as to what happens like what questions an stuff she'll ask!
also she never mentioned that I was to take anything of my own so a bit unsure.

any help would be great :lol:
xxx

Do you need to do a trade test as well or is it just a face to face interview?

I'm not sure how it works over there...but when I've ever been on an interview the owners/salon managers have asked basic nail ?'s like what makes up the anatomy of the nail,what systems do I know...things like that .....and then wanted to see what I could do......so I always brought a little kit with me so I could do one nail to show my work......if your not sure at leased pack your own brush....this way you will be prepared for anything! good luck! :)

its just a face to face interview, what's a trade test? :o

its just a face to face interview, what's a trade test? :o

Sorry - should have explained it more. It is when you have to carry out a treatment to show what your application/product skills are like. So if your are doing L&P you would be asked to do possibly a set or at least a few fingers.

Well today was the day i've been counting down to since last week since i phoned the nail salon and was offered an interview!
i'v been studying my creative nail manual and getting my sister to quiz me, then turned up to nail salon today all excited.........and it was SHUT!!!
i really dont understand why she told me to go today if she knew she was gonna be closed :irked: !
i was so annoyed!!! not to mention the fact that the salon is nowhere near me and i had to get two buses to it!

How disapointing for you:hug: did she give you a day or a date? If date then its worth calling to rearange, we're all alowed a blond day:lol:
If day still worth calling, she might have had an emergancy.
Hope it comes right for you:hug:

she just said come see me monday at 12, she didnt ask for a contact number so i dunno if maybe something came up and she had no way of contacting me, but i had been trying to get a hold of her since 11 this morning to ask if it'd be possible to change the time and even from then the phone was just ringing and she only opens at 10!
i use to pass the salon a lot as i used to work near it and have noticed that in the window it says shes open a monday but it is sometimes closed, must be if shes no clients, but didnt expect it today!

Hi I was just wondering how all you feel about this as im a bit unsure?
The last i posted was when i was suposed to have interview at nail salon but place was closed.
Anyway i rearranged for another interview few days later, so went for interview and she was bit busy with clients etc so couldn't really have a chat about things properly.
I ended up doing a set of nails for her friend so she could see what I was like and she explained that she would train me for a month and put a poster in window asking for models at half the price and see how it went, thing is she isn't paying me a wage but i do get ten pound for every full set I do and 5 for manicure.
So to cut things short i have been working there now 2 weeks mon to sat 11-7.
Thing is almost everyone I know is saying the situation isn't right and that even as a trainee i should get some sort of wage.
Was just wondering what all of you think, i personally dont see anything wrong as im not perfect at my nails cause i didnt start straight after i finished the course :irked:.
Sorry about it being so long, if theres anything thats a bit confusing just ask :green:

The last i posted was when i was suposed to have interview at nail salon but place was closed.
Anyway i rearranged for another interview few days later, so went for interview and she was bit busy with clients etc so couldn't really have a chat about things properly.
I ended up doing a set of nails for her friend so she could see what I was like and she explained that she would train me for a month and put a poster in window asking for models at half the price and see how it went, thing is she isn't paying me a wage but i do get ten pound for every full set I do and 5 for manicure.
Thing is almost everyone I know is saying the situation isn't right and that even as a trainee i should get some sort of wage.
Was just wondering what all of you think, i personally dont see anything wrong as im not perfect at my nails cause i didnt start straight after i finished the course :irked:.
Sorry about it being so long, if theres anything thats a bit confusing just ask :green:

How many set have you been doing while you are there? Is she classing you as employed or self employed?

i'v roughly done about 6 or 7 since i started.
i'l be employed by her but techinically not until i'v trained for a month.

Is she getting you to do other things? Like preping or polishing for her, or getting you to tidy, answer the phone etc. If she is then I think you should definately be getting a wage.

Tbh I think most new techs would be glad of the experience and the extra advice thats on offer.
I think you would have to class yourself as self employed in this situation though and pay your own national insurance contributions and tell the tax office.
You may be covered on the salons policy for public liability insurance but I would check it out to be on the safe side.

yeah I answer the phone if she's busy and i look after the shop while she runs errands or goes for lunch etc.
then on the other hand when im not doing stuff like that or clients im just shadowing her to try and pick up some tips so i can see her point in not giving me a wage.

Free Education! plus you are still getting a little bit for your work.
Sounds ideal to me. and it is only for 1 month.

Tbh I think most new techs would be glad of the experience and the extra advice thats on offer.
I think you would have to class yourself as self employed in this situation though and pay your own national insurance contributions and tell the tax office.
You may be covered on the salons policy for public liability insurance but I would check it out to be on the safe side.

Dont get me wrong im totally glad of it cause i know how hard it is to get started in a salon without experience, i did try to explain im not saying i think i should get a wage, im just asking what you all think as professionals cause you's would kno best, its just that all my friends and family etc are saying opposite but i'v just shrugged it off until i spoke to my hairdresser and she was saying the same so made me think.

Dont get me wrong im totally glad of it cause i know how hard it is to get started in a salon without experience, i did try to explain im not saying i think i should get a wage, im just asking what you all think as professionals cause you's would kno best, its just that all my friends and family etc are saying opposite but i'v just shrugged it off until i spoke to my hairdresser and she was saying the same so made me think.

No hun I think you are doing the right thing. Experience works, without it none of us would succeed.:hug:

thanks all!!
advice appreciated x
mayb i should print this page off and throw it at the members of my family that are moaning about it :lol::lol:

The main thing is.... are you enjoying it? Are you learning, are you improving with nails?

I know you aren't getting much money, but there are people who would love salon experience for free... and people who have done this in the past! At least you're getting a fiver or a tenner from your nails.

As long as you are both happy, and you feel she is happy with you and likely to employ you, I wouldn't worry :hug:

Latest posts

Back