I messed up, advice on how to rectify please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic1210

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls. I'm looking for some advice please, I feel sick I'm so angry with myself!! I had a client this evening, it's the second time she's come... It started off bad and just got progressively worse! It took over an hour to get her last appointments Gelish off! In the end, there were a few tiny bits I had to buff cos they just wouldn't budge. (Apparently temperature has an impact...I ordered a wheat bag as soon as she left!!) then after 2 coats of 'caution' I felt it needed another but she was happy with the 2 until after the top it off, then she agreed another coat would look better...throughout this appointment my daughter kept coming downstairs n although it's no excuse, i was getting wound up with her and loosing concentration. I put a 3rd coat on and then started to cleanse, having totally forgotten to apply another coat of top it off!! Bloody disaster! They were the worst set I've ever done, they took forever and quite frankly, they looked terrible too! I want to contact her and apologies (again) for how unprofessional this service was, how do I word it? In my head I want to say, "I did a s€€t job and am more than happy to redo them for free" although I know that's prob not best! ;) could anyone advise me on how best to get across that it wasn't my best work and I'd be happy to offer a discount on her next appointment? If I ever see her again after this!! Sorry for the essay! Xx

Hi guys and girls. I'm looking for some advice please, I feel sick I'm so angry with myself!! I had a client this evening, it's the second time she's come... It started off bad and just got progressively worse! It took over an hour to get her last appointments Gelish off! In the end, there were a few tiny bits I had to buff cos they just wouldn't budge. (Apparently temperature has an impact...I ordered a wheat bag as soon as she left!!) then after 2 coats of 'caution' I felt it needed another but she was happy with the 2 until after the top it off, then she agreed another coat would look better...throughout this appointment my daughter kept coming downstairs n although it's no excuse, i was getting wound up with her and loosing concentration. I put a 3rd coat on and then started to cleanse, having totally forgotten to apply another coat of top it off!! Bloody disaster! They were the worst set I've ever done, they took forever and quite frankly, they looked terrible too! I want to contact her and apologies (again) for how unprofessional this service was, how do I word it? In my head I want to say, "I did a s€€t job and am more than happy to redo them for free" although I know that's prob not best! ;) could anyone advise me on how best to get across that it wasn't my best work and I'd be happy to offer a discount on her next appointment? If I ever see her again after this!! Sorry for the essay! Xx

Hang on.... What did the client think? Did she actually think there was anything wrong with the nails? Before you go offering free sets and admitting your at fault to the client, did she actually notice? We all have sets we are less proud of especially early on, so don't be too hard on yourself.

I would wait and see what happens..

When she comes back for her next appointment , make sure you do a fantastic service..

If she doesn't come back, take it on the chin...we live and learn and we've all had disastrous days ....and made mistakes.

When I asked if she was happy with them, she said, "yes, it's a lovely colour" that says nothing of the work though!! It's not even me wanting to be a perfectionist, they were bad!! All messy around the cuticles and everything. I'm fuming with myself!! (And a little bit with my daughter) I feel like if I don't contact her, she will think that I think what I did was an acceptable job...and it wasn't! Do you think I should leave it then?? Another concern is I live in a small bubble of army wives, surrounded by nail techs and beauticians who have been going for years and bad news travels fast! Thank you so much for replying xx

Do you know what... If you feel that it was a bad service, then contact her & apologise. It won't hurt will it.. In fact offer her a small discount as a good will gesture. It's far better for her to leave thinking you are bothered rather than not & word could get around .. Those Army Wives are right battle axes, so don't give them any chance to stir the pot!

When I asked if she was happy with them, she said, "yes, it's a lovely colour" that says nothing of the work though!! It's not even me wanting to be a perfectionist, they were bad!! All messy around the cuticles and everything. I'm fuming with myself!! (And a little bit with my daughter) I feel like if I don't contact her, she will think that I think what I did was an acceptable job...and it wasn't! Do you think I should leave it then?? Another concern is I live in a small bubble of army wives, surrounded by nail techs and beauticians who have been going for years and bad news travels fast! Thank you so much for replying xx

It's a difficult one, I would be inclined to leave it personally and take it in the chin as rinn said. However, i don't live in your area or know much about army wives, so you really feel that it will help protect your reputation in a cliquey area and you genuinely feel they are that bad, don't text admitting the nails were awful- divert and maybe text her apologising for the length of time it took and offering her 20% off her next treatment as recompense?

Don't worry we've all been there! Honestly lol!

Xxx

Hi, personally, I would contact her, explain you were not happy with them, and if your not happy with something you would wear than why should she be? Your not losing out on money as such, your correcting something thats been on your mind, she's more likely to tell people you were great because you contacted her,and corrected something, I would never charge someone if I wasn't happy with it. Thats just my thoughts good luck in what you decide x x

I think you should leave it. If she said she liked the colour then she seems happy. I had a similar situation a few weeks ago, was using Shellac grape gum and I was really unhappy with the coverage, ended up doing three coats and still felt they didn't look my best work. I was going to offer a discount on her next appointment as it was the first time I'd done her nails (plus my dad had turned up an hour early at my house to pick up his dog who I was looking after who started barking like crazy when he arrived, so the whole appointment had felt really unprofessional!) But she was happy with the end result even though I wasn't so I left it at that. She has since been back and has rebooked again :)

Thank you so much for your replies! I think I will contact her tomorrow and offer her 20% off her next appointment. she made light of the time it took to soak off but I think she was just being polite! Lol! I've been lucky with the wives keeping myself to myself, but in a small community saturated with people offering similar services and to a very limited audience, I'm in no position to slip up and create a bad name for myself!! I massively appreciate your advise, I aspire, one day to be able to create the stunning work that you lot do!!xxxx

Being a "wife" I know what environment your in. I would contact her and offer a complimentary set what's a set of nails to save your reputation and put your mind at ease,
Good luck

Being a "wife" I know what environment your in. I would contact her and offer a complimentary set what's a set of nails to save your reputation and put your mind at ease,
Good luck

Exactly what I would do, and advise x x

If you think you'd be unhappy with the nails/service then without doubt, contact her. Even just a simple text saying 'Hey, sorry about last night - seemed to take forever and my daughter didn't help, hope you're happy with the outcome and just for the inconvenience of my little monkey being up and down I'll knock you 20% off for your next appointment'.

It's all very well saying to wait to her next appointment but what if that day doesn't come and she's spoken to 10 people by then, if you know your service wasn't up to scratch, deal with it now that way, if she was happy she'll be even happier to have a bonus discount next time and will sing your praises, if she wasn't happy she'd look pretty bad to not give you another chance bearing in mind she was obviously okay the first time around :) ..it only takes one appointment to put someone off - make it right!! xx

My thinking exactly! Thank you for clarifying what I thought was the right thing to do. I did call my best friend crying lol!! Bit dramatic, but I was just so bloody angry with myself n my husband isn't here to rant at!! ;) fingers and toes crossed she comes back, as you say, she was happy the first time to have come back today xx That child of mine is getting no pocket money for a month if she repeats tonight's performance tomorrow!!!!! Xx thanks again ladies xx

Me too. I think it will be a weight off your mind if you speak to her and say that you weren't entirely happy with the application and that you would like to offer her a complimentary set of gels. I would do that in your situation. Good luck and don't panic, it happens to us all.

As an ex army wife (10yrs) I would contact her but I'm sure they were not as bad as you think x

Why do you think it took such a long time to remove her Gelish ??? Do you usually have problems with removal ? X

I worry far too much about all sorts of things that I needn't, but I won't sleep tonight cos of this and with good reason!! I have no idea why it took so long, It was the first removal I've done on her, the base just didn't want to come off! I applied it super thin as well so I'm stumped on that one! Now I've got myself all worked up and am dreading my next client tomorrow! Xx

On the topic of daughter coming down stairs, I was gonna starta thread but hope u don't mind me jumping on here!! Tonight I had a new client (recommendation from another client who told me she was hard work) we had just sat down and my 6 year old popped her head in and said 'night mum and blew me a kiss', smiled at the new lady and said 'I hope u lik ur nails! ' This new lady said 'aw bless her', I said 'sorry bout that hope u didn't mind' (bearing in my she was 20 mins early so didnt get to say a proper good night like normal) she said 'no worries, I suppose if people want a really professional service they would go to a salon' !!!!!!!!!!!! I was bloody fuming. I pride myself on a very professional service, had to hold myself back from launching into a big speech! So spent the rest of the appointment using technical terms and explaining in far more detail what I was doing than normal, felt I had to prove myself after that. She was super happy with her nails but that got me rather cross. Phew sorry rant over! What would u have said? Xxx

On the topic of daughter coming down stairs, I was gonna starta thread but hope u don't mind me jumping on here!! Tonight I had a new client (recommendation from another client who told me she was hard work) we had just sat down and my 6 year old popped her head in and said 'night mum and blew me a kiss', smiled at the new lady and said 'I hope u lik ur nails! ' This new lady said 'aw bless her', I said 'sorry bout that hope u didn't mind' (bearing in my she was 20 mins early so didnt get to say a proper good night like normal) she said 'no worries, I suppose if people want a really professional service they would go to a salon' !!!!!!!!!!!! I was bloody fuming. I pride myself on a very professional service, had to hold myself back from launching into a big speech! So spent the rest of the appointment using technical terms and explaining in far more detail what I was doing than normal, felt I had to prove myself after that. She was super happy with her nails but that got me rather cross. Phew sorry rant over! What would u have said? Xxx

I've had this exact situation where she said 'if I wanted the professional service I should of gone to ragdale hall' and started laughing and I Responded 'yeah I love It there but if you can't afford it then mobile techs are a great alternative!' And started cackling like she did lol. She wasn't amused but she's a regular now and hasn't said t again haha! X

I would take those "professional" comments with a pinch of salt- as long as they keep coming back keep telling people and keep paying me they can think what they like! Lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back