I really need some help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caroleloftus

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Please could someone help me!? I have a client booked in for Wed - she is having gel enhancements for her wedding. She told me she was a nail biter, so I booked her in for a manicure to tidy and prepare them today!

Well, her nails do not look very bitten but they are extrememly short, and she has teeny tiney nail beds!

Please could someone advise me how I should go about tipping these nails? It's been ages since I have had to deal with nails like these and I am panicing about what to do! :eek:

I use Creative and Brisa. Would Formation or Velcocity clear tips be better? I am struggling to visulise how I would get the tips on and the product on as her nails are so short and has such small nail beds! It doesn't look like there is going to be hardly any nail bed for actual product application!

Any advise would be so so appreciated! I am really panicing about this client now - especially as the nails are for her wedding!!

Thank you so much in advance and I look forward to reading your advice!

Thanks
Carole

When is her wedding hun?
Really she should be wearing the enhancements way before this, so she is used to them and you have plenty of time to get it looking tip top.

Dont panick though, I'm sure you will get plenty of info off of the Creative techs and others on here.

Good luck

I would use natural tips, Then use pink gel to create a longer nailbed and white gel to create a new white free-edge :) Good Luck

I would use the velocity tips because of the ultra thin contact area - natural is what I usually use but perhaps the clear would give a better finish when relocating the smile further down the nail.

If their c-curve is flat you may need to use a bigger size and tailer down the sides and also the underside to allow for any puffy skin they may have around the nail plate particularly around the free edge, this will enable you to create a more natural apex.

Obviously use an adhesive like gelbond to fill in any uneveness in the contact area, perhaps use the pink gelbond if you have some, as this would help to camouflage their natural free edge line under the product.

Finally as Lellipop suggested, create a new white free edge further down the nail to create the illusion of a longer nail bed, then perhaps finish with a single coat of a nice sheer pink to help bring it all together.

Good luck :) x

hi,

i'd use clear tips, apply clear gel 1st and maybe some tasteful decals (diamonte)
at the end of her nail bed, then white gel tips under decals to add visual length. ??

Really she should be wearing the enhancements way before this, so she is used to them and you have plenty of time to get it looking tip top.

I Really agree with this! I would normally allow for 6-8 weeks to get used to extensions and resolve any problems that may occur!

Personally i would use formation and pre Tailor the tip by removing the well which will allow for maximum overlay coverage on the natural nail and cut out the sidewall which will stop the tip from digging into the finger.

keep the length really short also as she wont be used to it.

Look at the tutorial on the site for tipping bitten nails it really helped me. HTH.

Thank you so much for all your help and advice. I really appreciate it. :hug:

I too agree that she should have the enhancements a good few weeks before the wedding, but she only booked the appointment a week or so ago.

I am just panicing as I have never done such small and bitten nails before. My confidence is not at it's best at the moment so I really seem to work myself up, especially when it's a client with nails like these! It's a real challenge for me - and I really don't want to let her down.

Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Carole xcx

Im sure you will do great:)
We all go through the 'can I' feeling at some point in our working life....
Believing in yourself and your work comes in time... I bet as soon as the client takes a seat you will go into auto pilot and know exactly what to do:)

In my book the Queen of Gels is Anna, her work is perfection. She has tutorials that are very well pictured and explained. Including nail biters etc...
Here's the link
Beauty Pro
Anna is a member here also but a very very busy lady:)
Enjoy xx

hi hun, although im not properly qaulified yet i just thought id share my view, because i have exactly the same problem, i have tiny fingers my largest is only a size 4 on my thumb, my little finger is a number 10 that needs more filing !!! whenever i have my nails done the techs always complain how difficult it is to do my nails, and to be honest ive had some use white tips then pink over them and the white is covering 3/4 of my nail and looks ridiculous, but they seemed to think it was ok? ive also had sculpts done and they looked ok, since ive been practising myself i found that a clear tip with pink to elongate the lenght of the nail bed with a small white tip painted on, looks fine

im sure your client will be very happy as her nails will look great, the fact that your concerned about it and are asking advice on what to do, speaks volumes (well it does to me hun) as ive had techs whove just ploughed on and made my nails look awful, so hats off to you, im sure they'll be lovely when you finished:)

nicky xx

Thanks for some more great advice! I really like the thought of sculpting and bringing the gel over the free edge, and then applying a form, and then carrying on as usual. This looks much simpler than pre-tailoring and fiddling with tips.

My only concern is that I haven't ever done this before and would be so worried about it (especially as the nails are for her wedding). Does the gel just come away from the skin easily and the form sit underneath nicely?

Does anyone have any tips on how to do this - and make it work!! :confused:

Do you think this would be a better option than tipping?

Thanks again x

Can anyone help?

I just wanted to say thank you to those of you who helped me with this! I had the client last night and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It did take me two hours though! :eek:

I ended up using clear formation tips, cutting the well out, and some of the side walls (which I found v difficult!). They worked quite well, and my client was really pleased with the final result.

I wasn't though! Because I was using gel, I found it hard to extend the nail bed and make the smile further up. I did do this, but wasn't happy as I could still see the natural nail smile and tip shadow. Is there any way of getting round this with gel? I did file and blend the tips as much as I could but there was just no getting rid of the shadow!

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to those geeks who did help me! It was much appreciated and really helped! Thanks x

Being as you're a Brisa user you could have used French Warm or Cool Pink, it isn't 100% opaque but does a very good job of extending the nailbed. By using clear tips there shouldn't have been a shadow, what colour gel did you use?

Your client was pleased with her nails so it's a fantastic result :D well done.

Being as you're a Brisa user you could have used French Warm or Cool Pink, it isn't 100% opaque but does a very good job of extending the nailbed. By using clear tips there shouldn't have been a shadow, what colour gel did you use?

Your client was pleased with her nails so it's a fantastic result :D well done.

Thank you so much! I used clear tips but still had a shadow - any ideas why this might be? I also the usual Brisa pink so that is probably why! I haven't yet invested in the two new colours but def will after last night!

Thanks x

I used clear tips but still had a shadow - any ideas why this might be?
Did you use a coloured adhesive? I use clear gelbond for applying clear tips and don't find problems with shadowing.

Did you use a coloured adhesive? I use clear gelbond for applying clear tips and don't find problems with shadowing.

I used clear gelbond?!! I wonder what I did wrong? I might have to go and seek another nail biter so I can pratice some more!!!

Latest posts

Back