I think I've been taught wrong how to do patch tests

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A reaction would take place hours after, but that will still be the case if the tint has been in contact with the skin.

It doesn't need to be left on.

For example if you were tinting brows, the tint is only left on anywhere between 30 seconds & 2 mins then removed. An eyelash tint 10 mins. Reactions if they were to happen would be hours after. When the tint has been removed.

If the person has had a previous reaction the symptoms appear quicker the second/third time etc.

Xx

I don't leave it on overnight simply because of the mess and I once had a client who had a nice blue/black line through her blonde hair (not impressed) after tucking her hair behind her ear, but I would say 3 mins is not long and go for 5- 10 or follow your manufacturers instructions x

If you apply the tint and then remove with a dry cotton pad the tint will stay active on the skin but will not transfer onto clothes. Tint stops developing after a certain amount of time anyway. I was recently taught not to apply tint behind the ear though, as if they do have a serious reaction it could cause the throat to swell so i always do it on the arm now. xx

I have been doing beauty for 10years never heard some of the ways others have been taught
This is how I was taught at college test on. Inner elbow leave for at least 24/48hrs carry out treatment after this period if all is well. I have been with several.insurance companys over the tym who wud not cover u if u didnt leave it for 24/48hrs but the tint does stop processing after so long anyway

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Tint needs to be used within 20mins its becomes inactive after that so can't see the need to leave it on for longer I would have thought it would cause more of an irritant, but things seem to change and I trained a long time ago.

People would wash within 24 hours. It can transfer to hair/clothes as we have already mentioned.

They recommend you carry out a tinting treatment after 24-48 hours, to see if there is a reaction. Not how long the tint needs to sit on the skin before being wiped off.

The max a tint is left on is 10 mins, How can a patch test need longer?

Xx

Each tint manufacturer is different just follow your instructions and double check insurers requirements xx

I did ITEC, the procedure was:

Use the darkest tint as this is the one that causes the most reactions

Test on the inner elbow as a client cannot see behind their ear and will only know if they have reacted if there is irritation but they could still have had a reaction and not known if they can't see it.

Leave it on for 3-5 minutes which is enough time to penetrate the skin. 9 times out of 10 it leaves a stain, but I don't worry of it doesn't as I've carried out the test as trained.

Treatment can be carried out 24 hours after test following negative reaction.

My insurance company (Salon Gold) advised me to test as per my training unless the brand of tint states otherwise.

I hope this helps.

I pop some tint on a plaster and then pop it on, saves any mess :biggrin:

We we told to patch test in the darkest tint, even if they will be having a lighter tint used & behind the ear for eye treatments, I usually apply the tint & leave it there.

Test on the inner elbow as a client cannot see behind their ear and will only know if they have reacted if there is irritation but they could still have had a reaction and not known if they can't see it.

Leave it on for 3-5 minutes which is enough time to penetrate the skin. 9 times out of 10 it leaves a stain, but I don't worry of it doesn't as I've carried out the test as trained.

My insurance company (Salon Gold) advised me to test as per my training unless the brand of tint states otherwise.

I hope this helps.

Just from an 'outsider' but in the know person from the beautician I work with. The above seems more up to date.

Recently most brands have changed from behind the ear- because if there was a reaction, the patch test is too close to the ear, causing temporary deafness and close to the brain.

More commonly patch tests take place on the fold of the arm ( or sometimes behind the knee!!!!)

Alway follow brand guidelines to make sure you do the right thing to protect clients.

I hope this helps.

That's a good point, how are they to see a reaction behind their ear unless they get itching, thank you :)

That's a good point, how are they to see a reaction behind their ear unless they get itching, thank you :)

Generally people come back for their tints to me within the 24 to 48 hour time so I look at it or I tell them to get someone else to look at it.
Its not a huge big black blob that's put on the back of the ear its a little bit on an orange stick that's rubbed in.
I've never had anyone react, but by the sound of it if they are going to react it will show up which ever way it's done.

Always do it on wrist or inner elbow

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back