Ideas on how to discipline a 16 month old?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A cupboard under the stairs?
Or this??
:D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1393260549828.jpg
    1393260549828.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 180
She is just being a perfectly healthy, inquisitive little toddler! Don't let the small things bother you, the more you draw attention to it, the more at that age they will continue to do it. To a toddler any attention is good! all too soon you will long for spilt milk or messy cupboards rather than raging teenage hormones! Believe me, I know!

SouNds perfectly normal!! It's how they learn! Ignore the stuff you don't like and praise all the good stuff! Most of all just enjoy it! It soon passes and they grow up to quick !! X

Or get a cage

For yourself...........

In any case, 16 months is too young for the naughty step. A child should not be punished for wanting to experiment, explore and learn. It's also too young to be testing boundaries. She's just learning, poor little mite. We should all be happy our children are showing an inquisitive mind. You just need to make your home more child proof.

I had a massive play pen for my first daughter which id set up in the living room if I had to get on and do a clean like mop the floors. Also, you need to keep them occupied with objects so they stop messing with your stuff. Clean out plastic bottles, cereal boxes, toilet rolls etc, give them some wooden spoons and pan lids. You don't have to spend a fortune, there's plenty of stuff around the house. Colourful paper cupcake cups, all that kind of stuff you can get in pound shops. If you give them plenty to get on with they won't be interested in DVD boxes.

Not sure if that is classed as abuse, taping a child to the wall?!

What about super nanny tactics? She's a naughty step advocate!!! What else does she suggest.

To be honest I spend a lot of my time laughing at my sons escapades in the house attempting discipline and the naughty step but secretly laughing inside because it is funny really - although I must say I really wasn't laughing when the oven gloves went up in flames because he turned the cooker on and all the fire alarms went off!!!!

Ahh bless him! I think they do want to please deep down but the urge to explore (and destroy everything) overcomes them! Either that or the devil.

Yes my little girl loves buttons too, she switches everything on and off and she's now worked out how to operate the TV by the buttons on the side because I took the remote off her. They are so sneaky!

Yeah they just can't help themselves but to touch or press or turn! It must be such an exciting world to them!!!

I only really do the naughty step when he hits his older brother in the face or over the head with a toy which he has started doing lately (he totally terrorises him). My older one was really placid as a baby and I found discipline so easy and this little one is quite spoilt, baby of the family, naturally more mischievous and therefore a cheeky monkey!!!

I don't think that at 16 months they need to be disciplined. Maybe just channel their inquisitiveness/curiosity into more positive activities.
Also, children can detect the most subtle nuances of emotions, so even if you think that they don't know that you are a little amused at their antics, they know it and will repeat on a loop!

OMG my son must have been an angel! I've NEVER had to or even thought to use a naughty step. Have told my husband to go and sit on it several times though! Haha.

I've smacked my son twice, and god did he deserve it. I was smacked by my dad and my step dad once each. Never again after that.
I did say NO a lot to my son, from just a few months old. Yes he understood it too. If he touched things he shouldn't then they were moved out of reach or sight. If I had to get jobs done, I waited until nap time. Whilst he was awake, I was there to play and teach him. When he reached 10 months he was walking and No changed to Don't You Dare! He soon learnt what this meant. It's tone of voice and the look on your face that shows them you mean it.

One try at copying a child with a tantrum in Tesco and I just looked at him with my "I mean business" look and just said Don't You Dare sternly and he gave up. He was praised for being good and told off for being naughty. Smacked hands for pinching another child.
On the whole I think I had it easy, unless I just had more patience than people do today.
I was 28 when I had him so rather mature. You can guarantee if I'd had another child, it would have been completely different. I'm fair but firm with all kids and don't put up with bad behaviour.

I really don't know what I could do to make our house more baby proof. I've tried all the gadgets, she unlocked the cupboard locks within hours (as did my niece and nephew!) and she's tall so she can reach everything. She has literally hundreds if toys in the living room, 2 huge 80litre storage boxes overflowing, one of those racks with 9 canvas boxes full, a ball pit, a rocking chair and a ride on horse all live in the living room! She's never really been interested in playing with them though.

It's frustrating because we don't have enough room for a play pen because our house is a strange layout. I tried a travel cot but she just screamed for ages until I let her out so now she follows me around the house. Our interior door is old and made of glass do I can't shut it, she bangs on it and I'm worried she'll break it and hurt herself.

She's a very bright little girl, I've taught her lots of things like actions to nursery rhymes, peekaboo, and she always says ta when you give her something. She gives lots of kisses, she knows lots of words like bye bye, toast, teddy, shake shake, sausage, pop, boo etc! So I thought I might be able to teach her right from wrong. Maybe she's just too young, I've never done this before so I'm learning :o

Last edited:
My 18 month old to a t! Argh it's so frustrating but hilarious at the same time. I'm trying and mostly failing at explaining why we must do x and how we should do y instead as it's nicer etc etc I think this is a tricky age just keep consistent and she will learn.. Eventually...I hope ;-)x

I really don't know what I could do to make our house more baby proof. I've tried all the gadgets, she unlocked the cupboard locks within hours (as did my niece and nephew!) and she's tall so she can reach everything. She has literally hundreds if toys in the living room, 2 huge 80litre storage boxes overflowing, one of those racks with 9 canvas boxes full, a ball pit, a rocking chair and a ride on horse all live in the living room! She's never really been interested in playing with them though.

It's frustrating because we don't have enough room for a play pen because our house is a strange layout. I tried a travel cot but she just screamed for ages until I let her out so now she follows me around the house. Our interior door is old and made of glass do I can't shut it, she bangs on it and I'm worried she'll break it and hurt herself.

She's a very bright little girl, I've taught her lots of things like actions to nursery rhymes, peekaboo, and she always says ta when you give her something. She gives lots of kisses, she knows lots of words like bye bye, toast, teddy, shake shake, sausage, pop, boo etc! So I thought I might be able to teach her right from wrong. Maybe she's just too young, I've never done this before so I'm learning :o

Awwww, she sounds lovely. If you really need a break, I'd try the travel cot again, let her scream the house down, she'll soon get tired of it. Don't let her out, do 15 minute bursts. She'll get use to it. Sit in the same room with the first time, either on SG or reading. Then build up to leaving the room. Obviously check on her constantly and make sure you can hear her if you're in another room.

I just think discipline is for older children who are deliberately naughty, not a one year old wanting to experiment and learn.

I have found some of the posts and suggestions on this thread are quite upsetting. We're talking about a 16 month old here, not a 5 year old!

Not sure if that is classed as abuse, taping a child to the wall?!

Really? bugger I best stop doing it to my 5yro then... Tbh I WAS using so much tape the cost was getting ridiculous!!
:rolleyes:

Awwww, she sounds lovely. If you really need a break, I'd try the travel cot again, let her scream the house down, she'll soon get tired of it. Don't let her out, do 15 minute bursts. She'll get use to it. Sit in the same room with the first time, either on SG or reading. Then build up to leaving the room. Obviously check on her constantly and make sure you can hear her if you're in another room.

I just think discipline is for older children who are deliberately naughty, not a one year old wanting to experiment and learn.

I have found some of the posts and suggestions on this thread are quite upsetting. We're talking about a 16 month old here, not a 5 year old!

Thankyou, she is lovely :biggrin:
We've spent the morning playing in our 'den' which is a coffee table with a tanlw cloth over it! She's now washing me with baby wipes haha! It's good to know that everyone goes through the same things with their children. I was a little worried because when she throws my phone in the bath or throws her dinner down in a tantrum she might carry on doing it as she grows up unless I stop her somehow. I suppose I'll have to wait and see :lol:

I just wanted to add that although I struggled quite a lot initially, I've started to find this motherhood lark fascinating and enjoyable now she's getting older. Although I so get frustrated almost daily, as I think most mothers do, I wouldn't want to discipline her just to keep her quiet or to give myself an easy life. I'd just hate for her behavior to cross over into naughtiness as she gets older, if it was as a result of me being too relaxed with her, if that makes sense?! I just want what's best for her : ) xx

Last edited:
I remember back in the stone ages when my eldest kids were tiny they used to post lil toys, playdough, coins, cat biscuits etc into the video player slot.
They were relatively laid back so their antics were few and far between.
My 3rd used to be a destructive livewire from a year, she moved and it was fast!!
She was like a silent ninja, stealth like and usually with a pen in hand.
She was a whinger rather than a screamer and as an early walker she was an early climber too, used to climb out of travelcot playpen and be into mischief in the blink of an eye lol.
My youngest walked late and didn't talk until 2 she couldn't crawl, roll or bum shuffle so no touching, emptying, breaking, moving things... She just sat and screamed non stop!!
When she hit 2 that's when she began her reign of terror lol.
She has had the least time to do stuff compared to her siblings but has done more than all the other 3.
The worst being when she broke the Wii and games by posting coins into the slot and when the older kids would put a game in it would spin against the coin and scratch it..
14 games broken and binned all in one day as the kids tried one after the other!!
She sat there watching and shaking her head at them for breaking the games..
Shes been better from 4 upwards (shes 5 now)

I am now watching my eldest two granddaughters going through it, one listens to her parents and I occasionally has a 'foot down' moment
The other is a wild one ;)
I'm loving it lol.

All I will add as any form of help to those going through this is...
Take it on the chin, try not to stress too much about it, come down to their eye level and see how much fun the world looks
AND enjoy it...
I look back to my lot and their toddler years and I realise how fast its all gone!

At 16 mnths old they are trying to push the boundary so they will drop something on the floor and look at u for response.
I would get down on ur knees look then in there eye and very calm but stern say no.
They are to young yet for time out. But they are not be intentionally naughty just they got there walking legs on they are going to explore there world
I love love toddlers so much more than babies. We have so much fun together.

Thankyou, she is lovely :biggrin:
We've spent the morning playing in our 'den' which is a coffee table with a tanlw cloth over it! She's now washing me with baby wipes haha! It's good to know that everyone goes through the same things with their children. I was a little worried because when she throws my phone in the bath or throws her dinner down in a tantrum she might carry on doing it as she grows up unless I stop her somehow. I suppose I'll have to wait and see :lol:

I just wanted to add that although I struggled quite a lot initially, I've started to find this motherhood lark fascinating and enjoyable now she's getting older. Although I so get frustrated almost daily, as I think most mothers do, I wouldn't want to discipline her just to keep her quiet or to give myself an easy life. I'd just hate for her behavior to cross over into naughtiness as she gets older, if it was as a result of me being too relaxed with her, if that makes sense?! I just want what's best for her : ) xx

They do grow out of it, your daughter sounds totally normal.

I get what your saying though there's a difference between letting them run rings around you and letting them explore! I think they key is consistency, we all have our own views on parenting and what works and what doesn't but if your not consistent with whatever you choose then it won't work!

My friend was seemingly really strict with her son she would shout at him a lot and smack a lot and then hug him when he cried as a response to the smack, therefore his behaviour crossed over into total bad behaviour he was awful by the age of 3! We tried talking to her, telling her to stop smacking and screaming but she couldn't stop!

I'm quite no nonsense, I say no firmly and raise my voice if I need to and I do make him sit down away from the others if the behaviour is clearly bad. For instance I fully believe he needs to know when repeatedly hitting the brother over the head with a toy, that it's wrong. Said brother is screaming and crying in pain! Perhaps this is attention seeking but he is told no all the same. I feel this behaviour needs some level of discipline and is different to exploration. He is told firmly "no" as a response in no uncertain terms.

Also I totally ignore any tantrums and rolling on the floor as well as if he's doing it. I literally just pick him up and say come on let's go and do (insert here). The tantrum stops pretty quickly when the attention is diverted!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back