I'm a servant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If a client calls to book and says "it's Mrs Smith" then I call her that, if she says its Betty I will call her Betty etc....

I don't find it offensive...I just find its the way they would like to be addressed. You find that some of the Mrs brigade then start calling saying "hello it's Betty smith" and then to Betty...if that's what they want, it's fine by me.

My main concern is my client is happy with their treatment (hair style etc) and their treatment (the way I and other staff have treated them.). I personally wouldn't push a client to tell me their first name if they don't want to.

We have a very loyal client who comes weekly, we know all about her and her family but until one of her friends came in and said "has Lily been in today?" We didn't know her name and the client still refers to herself as "Mrs X" rather than Lily. She is of a few generations above us so I can only assume that's the way it is. Even when she speaks of her husband, she calls him "Mr X" he he.

We are not "servents" we are in the service industry. I always take first and second names, I wont take appointments without them. My clients are addressed as mrs/mr/miss initially but I actually find it helps their nerves if you approach yoie client sat in reception with a huge smile and a handshake, saying "Hi I am "first name". We've never met before have we do you prefer I call you "first name" or mrs"
But I have worked blinking hard to get to where I am. I have cleaned toilets whilst stylists sat smoking, done.the lunch run, been a gofer, gone from giving away free hair cuts in the street to charging top range prices, I will be damned if I am going to look after anyone who calls me their "servant", id have told her not to bother as there are 1000s of other clients out there without being desperate enough to pander to the ones who like to degrade you in such a way. I am worth more then that. To be frank id rather clean I toilet then gain a client with that attitude.
Service provider NOT servant.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

We are not "servents" we are in the service industry. I always take first and second names, I wont take appointments without them. My clients are addressed as mrs/mr/miss initially but I actually find it helps their nerves if you approach yoie client sat in reception with a huge smile and a handshake, saying "Hi I am "first name". We've never met before have we do you prefer I call you "first name" or mrs"
But I have worked blinking hard to get to where I am. I have cleaned toilets whilst stylists sat smoking, done.the lunch run, been a gofer, gone from giving away free hair cuts in the street to charging top range prices, I will be damned if I am going to look after anyone who calls me their "servant", id have told her not to bother as there are 1000s of other clients out there without being desperate enough to pander to the ones who like to degrade you in such a way. I am worth more then that. To be frank id rather clean I toilet then gain a client with that attitude.
Service provider NOT servant.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Couldnt have put it better myself :)

This is a really interesting thread.... I will always take the lead from a new client and address them as they introduce themselves. I think it is mainly a generational thing.... My father always used to say that to understand somebody, you have to consider how the world was when they were 16 - for many clients of older generations, you addressed people you didn't know as Mr / Mrs etc. That's the way things were when they were growing up, and that's fine.

As for being a 'servant', that is a completely different story. I am not in the employ of any of my clients. They pay for my expertise to provide a service that they cannot do themselves. This is the same relationship that they have with their accountant, dentist or plumber.

There is a difference between providing a service, and being subservient. When I read a lot of the problems on here that people have with clients, I often think that as an industry, we are as guilty of not knowing our worth, or our professional position, as the clients are. I do think many need to stand up for themselves more, and tolerate less BS from some clients!

J

My third client when I set up has stuck with me for 2 years now. She has an unfortunate surname, think that film, meet the fockers and we are getting there.

She likes being called Mrs 'focker' and I don't flinch, mock, laugh I just addressed her by her preferred name. She has been a wonderful, loyal client and after one year allowed me to call her by her first name (she actually booked the anniversary date, and said she had been coming to me for a year now so I could call her _____).

My dad has an American partner in his firm called Randy- normal American name, but surname Cox.
In U.S. he just likes to be called Randy. In UK he insists on being called Randy Cox. He weeds out the sniggerers, and those with attitude or immature this way, and marks their card within the company.

My surname is really rare, and I often have to spell it out and repeat the pronounciation. If the person says to me 'oh so it's _______' and pronounce it completely differently to how I pronounce it, I get offended and won't go back or deal with them again.

Names are a personal thing and you have to respect others requirements.

It could also be a weeding out process for some people.

Is for me. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back