I'm a servant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think the OP was upset with having to call her Mrs more that her attitude was uncalled for.

When I ask a clients name I see what they say, first name or surname and I use that name to call them by.

I find I automatically address ladies of a certain age as Mrs X but most of my Ladies are a first name basis.

I have great respect for all of my clients and most of them are very well to do, I would not however expect to be treated as a member of staff.

I would also be gob smacked if someone spoke to me in this manner.

I don't think the OP was upset with having to call her Mrs more that her attitude was uncalled for.

When I ask a clients name I see what they say, first name or surname and I use that name to call them by.

I find I automatically address ladies of a certain age as Mrs X but most of my Ladies are a first name basis.

I have great respect for all of my clients and most of them are very well to do, I would not however expect to be treated as a member of staff.

To be fair, we don't know if there was any MANNER. We only have hearsay. Everyone is Mrs to me unless they tell me differently. We are servants ... Get over it ... That (as Lynne says, doesn't mean we have to act servile.m there is a difference.

But why?!

Does it not get right up your nose when workmen call you "love", or receptionists address you by your first name?
It does me!

But why?!

Does it not get right up your nose when workmen call you "love", or receptionists address you by your first name?
It does me!

It does me too. They don't know me. Until they do then I'm not Gigi to anyone.

May I please call you Lynne, Mrs Baker? :hug :

Well, Acksherlly, I'm Mrs Kay!
Lynne Baker is my, erm, working name. My delicious humsbums is Alex Kay, and I have the daily pleasure of being Mrs Alexander Kay. I love being that, more than being Lynne Baker to be honest!
Poor baby, he got very p!ssed off today when someone referred to him as Mr Baker!

I do apologise Mrs Kay ... Of course I even knew that. X

But why?!

It does me!

Of course it does with builders calling me love, not so much receptionists and first names though but as I said I have absolutely no issues calling a client Mrs x and I always address a client as they introduce themselves when booking.It's only the attitude it seems to have been said with I would be a little miffed about.

I find it kind of rewarding after addressing a client as Mrs for some time that they then tell you to use their first name, it means you have earned their trust/respect.

I certainly wouldn't be calling a client 'love' either but I do get called other names by one particular builder, have to let him off being my other half though ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Seeing a name on a CRC and being given permission to use it are 2 different things. Plus, I can guarantee that Lynne, one of our most respected professionals here on SG, always has a CRC for every client without exception. She, as I, would always ask permission to use a person,s first name; it is not a given, it is a privilege. It's something called good manners.

I didn't question that. The lady said she didn't have a clue what her name was, if she has a record of her then she knows her name. Yes it doesn't mean she can use it. I read it as she didn't have a clue ie no record of her appointments.
Not one person on this earth can criticise my politeness and respect I have been brought up to care about others before myself and I like it that way. My 19 month old daughters tells people off if they don't say please, thank you and your welcome and she has been saying it and understanding it since she was 16 months old :D (sorry proud mummy moment)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

Also sometimes its not down to respect...its fear! Some people want others to fear them by demeaning or belittling them as that gives them a sense of power.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think there's a difference between " You don't need etc... you call me etc....."

and :

" May I ask why you need my first name?.... I would like you to call me....."

I have to say this client sounds lacking in basic manners.

I love proud mummy moments I get some clients who don't mean to sound rude but are, who like it all there own way I think we all get that just stay professional and confident in your skills. And u want win this client over :)

I always call myself mrs holding. I'm 28 and have been married for 9 years. I am proud of it and love being a Mrs.

That being said I never expect to be called it, I am happy to be called Jemima (just not followed by puddle duck!)

Some people feel we are only there for the convenience and are below them. These clients I treat as any other, I am polite and talk to them in a manner in which is both to the point and kind.

Clients that act like that are not the nicest of clients initially but often turn out to be lovely people but want toad rain that professional boundary.

I feel really strongly about addressing people in the correct manor. I think calling someone by their title and surname unless told otherwise is the right and polite way to do it.

Jemima :)

If someone gave me their name as Mrs Sarah Jones I would automatically call them Mrs Jones, if I were booking in a client I certainly would address them as Mrs Jones because she is a customer not a friend.
A lot of people like too be addressed as Mrs which is completely fine, I had a lady when I left school, I worked in a hair salon for a while and she would not call me by my name, she said I was 'girl' and when I said my name is Catherine she said 'you are just girl too me' I found that quite rude but continued too call her Mrs Evans and be polite too her and thank her when she gave me my 5p tip :D:eek:
I find if I come across rude people, I react too them in the nicest possible way and be very kind and courteous, it usually stops them in they're tracks and they react abit kinder in return :D

My mother in law used to refer to people she considered 'minions' as, 'the girl' ...

I did politely explain to her that she was no longer living in Australia 1914 with house maids and that it was a very discourteous and dismissive way to address anyone these days. She never did it again in my presence anyway. I guess there are still a few of this type about.:green:

I have a couple of clients who are known as 'Mrs...' and yes, even on their consultation forms. I've never been offered a first name. I've never asked for one. When they phone they refer to themselves as 'Mrs...'. As for the consultation form, all the information for them is there, just no first name.
I even have a few nuns as clients and although I am not religious, I refer to them as 'Sister....'. That's how they like to be known. :D

I would find it offensive if someone wanted me to call they 'Mrs, Miss' or whatever. As it would make me feel like they think they're better than me. However, would still do it obviously out of respect but would resent it.

I'm happy to call a client by whatever name she chooses. If her name is Nicola Smith, it makes no difference if she wants to be Mrs Smith, Nicola or Nikki.

However, there is no need to be rude about it xx

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SalonGeek mobile app

It's interesting seeing the different opinions on this thread.

There are only a couple of clients that I call Mrs.... and they are older ladies, although my oldest client who is 90 would hate me to call her Mrs....

Also if a potential client told me I was serving her, I'd refuse. I find this extremely rude behaviour and think that until she respects me how can she respect my work? Some may disagree but thankfully I haven't had that problem come my way.

I address each client as they wish. I have never had anyone insist on me calling them Mrs xx however.
With brand new clients, I tend to adress them as Sir or Madam initially ie "would you like to take a seat, Sir?" but to be honest it really doesnt take very long to strike up a friendly and personal relationship with my clients, so after an hour Im calling them dude and having a beer with them... (that was a joke, the last bit btw)
I actually dont care what they want me to call them. Ill call them Lady Gaga if they want me to, they're paying me to make them feel gorgeous and important.
I don't however take kindly to poor manners and rudeness. I wont tolerate it towards me or my staff. Mutual respect on a level field only here.

p.s, with this lady I would be so so tempted to do what Nearlyme said.....can you get hold of a red carpet by any chance? ;)

Latest posts

Back