Indian Head Massage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purplebunnies

Reaction score
I have booked into do a Indian Head Massage 1 day course next Friday. It's only for personal use (b/f & family) so they said i dont need to have my A&P.

But i was wondering is a 1 day course enough to learn all the techniques to carry this out. Have tried a search but didn't get the answer i was looking for.

Anyone done any of these courses?

purplebunnies said:
I have booked into do a Indian Head Massage 1 day course next Friday. It's only for personal use (b/f & family) so they said i dont need to have my A&P.

But i was wondering is a 1 day course enough to learn all the techniques to carry this out. Have tried a search but didn't get the answer i was looking for.

Anyone done any of these courses?

HI - have you had experience of indian head massage your self or any other form of massage - most people find the one day courses easier if you have had some regular prior experience of this type of treatment.

Had a couple of back massages, but thats as far as i have got. Considering my cousin is a beauty therapist i dont have any beauty treatments at all

Hello,
If your only using it on friends and family you'll probably learn enough on a 1 day course. I do IHM on clients, but I did a course with the BSY group which I had to do a few months worth of course work and also go on a 1 day practicle session (I'd also previously done swedish massage at college). I also got a DVD which had all the massage movements on it to remind yourself with. There are also alot of different styles within IHM, so it depends on if you are after something more spiritual, physical or a mixture of both (I tend to be a mixture). Some therapists use oils, some don't and you can give an IHM with the client laying down or sitting up. Hope you enjoy your day, I found it very interesting and there's lots of books at the library on the subject. :green:

i did a one day course and it is enough in my honest opinion

I think everyones different - ive done 1/s day courses before and picked things up straight away, but my huisband has just done ih massage at college over 16 weeks, and he says that there would be no way he would feel confident after doing a 1 day course.:green:

I did a one day course and do this on my husband and clients. All say it is good. It was enough for me, learnt the technique in no time:)

i think it depends on how much you want to learn aswell. If you only want to know how to do a "basic" indian head then Im sure its ok. I did VTCT in Indian head massage, (and am already a qualified holistic massager) and it involved a weeks course, 4 case studies and then an assessment day! It was hard work with lots to learn, (massage movements, chakras, what oils/massage mediums to use ect). I dont really think 1 day courses can be thorough, but teach enough if you just want to "do the treatment". hth:)

Personally I don't think that one day is enough to be competant in IHM.
It's necessary to know which muscles you are massaging, where they are, what they do, and also its crucial you are aware of areas to avoid,,,,ie some of the marma points, if you are not careful it is possible that incorrect proceedures can cause danger to life,,,,,,,,,very unlikely you may say, but it has happened in the hands of the inexperienced.
So many people think that IHM is just simply rubbing the head ,,,,,,,,,,how very wrong.
I did a 4 month course at college, 2 evening a week, and also had to do at least 4 case studies of a minimum of three treatments each.
Anatomy and Physiology is vital in order to understand and perform IHM.
Another aspect of my course was Proffessional Conduct and Business Awareness, not needed I agree when only treating friends and family, but if your'e going to do something, why not do it properly and get all the training you can.........believe me its well worthwhile.
I proudly display my Diploma certificates, ( distinctions) on my wall, and feel that when performing an IHM, I am giving the client the best I can,,,,,,,,,by the way, after a full session, you will be tired out!!

Hope this helps in any way,

Christine

where do you do these courses and how much do they cost i have always wanted to do head massage but when i looked into it at collage you had to do massage first.

Hello all,
New here, but thought I'd put my bit in anyway. I did VTCT IHM over 20 weeks and have also qualified with VTCT as Holistic Therapist and Advanced Reflexologist and I think that a one day course is fine for friends etc but trying to remember a 40 minute routine from probably only 6 hours training is going to be hard. You also need the A&P to be able to provide a good massage as if you aren't working over the correct areas you will miss muscles that need the massage. Also the case studies are invaluable (I had to do 4 peeps 5 times) as this is where you iron out any probs and gain great experience. Basically what I'm trying to say is that I would recommend a longer term course. VTCT IHM carries A&P with it so you don't need the body massage course first.

You can go to the vtct website at www.vtct.org.uk and they have listings of all colleges etc that carry their training. I would say though that having just finished my advanced reflex which cost £160 for the year's course they have now increased the course fee to £2576 due to government subsidies being removed. I'm so glad I've done all my main training!!!!! However, you may find that smaller academies are cheaper. Most of the part time courses at all my local colleges are now in excess of £1000 and funnily enough they are so undersubscribed that a lot of them are not running in September!

Sorry for the long reply and hope it helps.

Crystaltippers

Latest posts

Back