Industry shows

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allow a spouse or companion in isn't going to help the situation,potentially HALF of the atendee's will not be professionals !

Did Pro Beauty used to be just two days and not three ? I was thinking maybe the extra cost has put companies of exhibiting ?? Or has it always been three days ?

Hey Bombini - I am answering this before continuing to read this whole thread (nice one Becki - definitely thought provoking).

Originally in 1990 (that's when I started doing shows).. they were 2 days at Olympia (Sunday & Monday). The three day is CRAZY and yes uber expensive. Day 2 is always less busy than day 1 with even fewer folks on Day 3. If they didn't have the day 3, the 'few folks' would have to come to day 2 making it busier.:rolleyes::smack:

When Mark started the shows all those years ago... we had trestle tables with black cloth over them and all the goods piled on the tables with us behind them selling (can you imagine:lol:)... then of course the organisers started organising more shows.... it used to look like this Olympia in March, Olympia in September and GMEX in October. Then the Olympia show in March moved to ExCeL and went to 3 days. The September one stopped (which says something):idea:.

As a distributor, once you start doing shows it is very difficult to stop but it gets more and more expensive once other trade magazines start to organise their own and want you on board. When S2 went live in October 07 there was no way we were in a position to do a show; we made the decision NOT to do ExCeL for many reasons but one being the expense and us being a new company. We did GO to ExCeL and as a team we honestly felt that our decision was justified.

The old show organisation was bought out by Emap who are a HUGE company and do shows etc all over the world. I understand that they are making an effort to 'up the ante' with the PB show at Manchester so those of you who go will be able to experience it for yourselves.

I did get sick of the cheap 'stall' like stands selling belts, bags, hair pieces, scarfs etc and this year (at ExCeL) there was a 'Mother/Baby' show opposite the PB show and there were women and children walking into the PB Show from the Mother/Baby show... I actually sat there and watched them whilst I was having a coffee and pointedly made the effort to find them in the PB show just to se if they got in and guess where they were??? Yup - in the nail section buying polish (I won't say what stand they were on). Shows should be for professionals and it is up the organisers to make sure this happens BUT... it is also up to the nail pro to adhere to that and not bring non pros with them as a 'fun day out'.

Doing a show (from a distribution stand point) should be about being able to see your customers, chat with them, give them good deals, educate them in new things, show them new products etc... We would have liked to have done the GMEX show this year but the organisers aren't willing to help so that put an end to that. :irked:

Don't you think it would be great to have just ONE FREAKING HUGE show for 2/3 days once a year (we could justify maybe 3 days if it were only 1 show per year) - just like the Hair Professionals have Salon International (although that show is 5 days)... then everyone would save and make a real effort to go.

I would support that!! :!:

I would support it too...

have The Event every year!! but noooooooot on my bday week end!! lol

I havent taken this personally,some will I dare say, but its to let you know what I think as a student..

we may not have buying power ? I dont know ?,I havent been to a show before,but would like to, but we still contribute the money from tickets sold for these events to be held, dont we??? unless there free :lol:

As for running around buying handbags & neon hair extensions, :lol: thats not for me as Im 40 now, gone past the stage of neon :), and I hate handbags in general..
But I understand the point you are trying to make..

Limited knowledge ? obviously,were learning:!: but you know there are plenty of qualified people,who are still rubbish at what they do, IM NOT GOING TO BE ONE OF THESE STATISTICS, I have the passion for it,as I love learning and without blowing my own trumpet,I think I know quite a lot compared to some students of my level,considering I never even touched a polish til sept 07,when I started college.
And Im always reading( alot on this site helps ) and I use L&P on a nail trainer, even though Im not taught it yet, but its all practice and afterall you learn from your mistakes too :!:

I shall be using cnd L&P and brisa at college, this I know is one of,if not the best product on the market,some students should research more of the products they may want to use, thats why they should not be dismissed at shows, they need to learn brands and who is out there,so to speak, they dont get taught it in college,and shows give them the opportunity to find this out..

anyway what is the harm to let students attend? if they want to compulsivly buy, LET THEM,:lol: it only generates more cash for the companies to invest in their products..

A lot of students may not have access to the internet,so trade shows give them the chance to see the different companies/products,they might not otherwise of heard of,if they are new to the trade? like meee:lol:

On a last note, if a student purchases e-files and L&P/gels and uses it on clients without training,then they are fools:!: and should learn or use their sense,Im glad I have a nail trainer to practise on until qualified...

Enough rambling on :lol: Im off for a cuppa :hug: x

Well done! Nough said, I am very impressed, all the points you made are very valid points and I agree with all of them. When I was a student, I went to the exhibitions and bought most of my equipment (couch, wax pot etc) from there, but what I wanted to do was have some of the treatments done on me eg nails, facials etc, I think that if there were more beauty stands instead of the bag stands I would have stood more of a chance of eperiencing some of the treatments on offer. I hope some of the geeks who perhaps are envolved in the setting up of the stands or who have pitched at the exhibitions can pass this information on.

Lastly, I asked whether any of the geeks know how much it costs to pitch a stand but no feedback yet :cry:

Actually Be Beautiful myself and geeg answered your question re cost

Sorry hth's

Last edited:
,unless the show is open to professionals only !

I mean no disrespect and I am frequently humbled by the amount of experience and skill people have in this field but I believe that I AM a professional.

I class myself as a student because I don't know everything and that's why I am going to college again in September to do a Level 3.
I am not in business yet and have just qualified in L&P and that means I would be able to buy an efile and yet I am not trained in the use of an efile. How does this make me more suitable to buy one just because I am a professional (hope that makes sense)?

I fully appreciate where you are coming from and understand the point being made fully but it sounds a bit like double standards. Only professionals but professionals in what? How would this be managed would professionals have to take certified copied of their certificates incase they haven't got training in using an efile? When I do an efile course I would prefer to learn using my own equipment rather than a different one.

I'm rambling on a little now, i'll shut up.... sorry :lol:

Well I'm all for having a trade show without the silly stalls that have been mentioned!!

I dont mind that one day is usually and traditionally for students - all of us was a student at sometime!

I like to go to the shows because its a chance to see all the products that I use (gel) and compare the companies that do gel. This gives me a chance to see if there is a new gel etc out there that I did not know about that is better than the one I currently use (hope this makes sense)
I can make decisions about my business ect.
I do understand why big companies are not exhibiting as much in the shows and I strongly hope this thread has some impact on the organisers to make the right changes!!

Of course it has been thought about. I've done shows for 25 years and Show venues of old were of course full to the brim with beauty and nail stands and professionals and salon owners ... they had to search for larger premises to hold he shows in hence why Olympia moved to Excel.

Then the organisers thought, oh maybe we can make even more money by making it a 3 day show and that way the exhibitors will have to pay for an extra days rent! Trouble is, no one came on the extra day ... or you had 2 pants days where everyone who would have come on day 1 & 2 spread out over 3 days.

The organisers are supposed to advertise these shows and get the professionals there .. that is their end of the deal... trouble is they didn't deliver the extra professionals but still kept the show at 3 days! Ridiculous.

Numbers of pros have got so low low that at the last show at Excel, there was also a "mother and baby" show running across the way and they let all those folks in!! Can you imagine what that was like?? Non professionals plus their kids. One on the hip and one in a pram and granny trailing behind with a toddler. :eek: What a mess.

I could tell you exactly what it costs to take a huge stand like the ones we had for CND in the past but I don't really think it is appropriate to tell you nor would it accomplish anything to do so. And the stand cost is only a part of it ... the stock ... the team ... the accommodation the food and drink ... the transport of all of it ... the setting up ... you've no idea!

Gigi, Bekki mwah mwah to you both and :hug::hug: each. WOOOOOOOOW, I knew it would be costly and you are both right I never imagined just how expensive it was (but that's why I said I don't mind if you don't mention the price :lol:) I found it really amusing how the mother, toddler and granny almost ended up in the beauty exhibition I couldn't stop laughing to reply to your threads quickly lol (thanks Bekki, somehow I missed the second page of this thread).

Here here!! I noticed this at Beauty Uk. There was even a stall selling carved wooden animals. I also noticed quite a few young children in push chairs when children arent usually allowed. It was hard enough to get round as it was without bypassing prams!! Real boring for the kids too. A trade show is a trade show and just that as far as Im concerned.

I mean no disrespect none taken hereand I am frequently humbled by the amount of experience and skill people have in this field but I believe that I AM a professional.

I class myself as a student because I don't know everything and that's why I am going to college again in September to do a Level 3.
I am not in business yet and have just qualified in L&P and that means I would be able to buy an efile and yet I am not trained in the use of an efile. How does this make me more suitable to buy one just because I am a professional (hope that makes sense)?Oh i agree but there is only so much you can do,that would be down to the integrity of the company,if the show organisers raise the bar surely exhibitors would follow suit ?

I fully appreciate where you are coming from and understand the point being made fully but it sounds a bit like double standards. Only professionals but professionals in what? How would this be managed would professionals have to take certified copied of their certificates incase they haven't got training in using an efile? When I do an efile course I would prefer to learn using my own equipment rather than a different one.

I'm rambling on a little now, i'll shut up.... sorry :lol:

Imo there is only so much that can be done,but by only allwoing peeps entry who hold a recognised relevant qualification,surely this can only help to improve things !

I have to say im quite shocked at reading all these posts especially the ones regarding the Professional beauty exhibitions! :eek:

As a tech and regular visitor to the show I think having seen London this year that since that new company took Excel over, the show was better than before !

There were no 16 year old 1st year students running around grabbing stuff , my friend is currently at college training in beauty and she was only allowed to attend if in uniform and attended along with her college as a group with her tutor, they were under strict instructions apparently that if they didn't wear their unforms, they wouldnt be allowed in, she even saw coaches being turned away cause they weren't;t in uniform.

Loads of big brand names were there including loads of new ones and I have registered to go to Manchester already and the amount of new brands there as well I can see on the exhibitor list and as far as I can see no tat just health and beauty brands, I for one am very excited. :)

I have to say im quite shocked at reading all these posts especially the ones regarding the Professional beauty exhibitions! :eek:

As a tech and regular visitor to the show I think having seen London this year that since that new company took Excel over, the show was better than before !

There were no 16 year old 1st year students running around grabbing stuff , my friend is currently at college training in beauty and she was only allowed to attend if in uniform and attended along with her college as a group with her tutor, they were under strict instructions apparently that if they didn't wear their unforms, they wouldnt be allowed in, she even saw coaches being turned away cause they weren't;t in uniform.

Loads of big brand names were there including loads of new ones and I have registered to go to Manchester already and the amount of new brands there as well I can see on the exhibitor list and as far as I can see no tat just health and beauty brands, I for one am very excited. :)

You must have attended a completely different PB show than we all did then :lol: ...

also just my opinion :green:- i think its good for students to attend shows , just because someone is 16 and in their first yr doesnt mean they are not serious about their calling ,
i started hairdressing at 16 and i took it completley serious , i would much rather a load of 1st yr students were there , than mums with their kids (no offence meant here , as i am a mum myself ) but wouldnt dream of taking my kids to professional show (gawd i dont even like taking mine to the supermarket :lol: )

also just my opinion :green:- i think its good for students to attend shows , just because someone is 16 and in their first yr doesnt mean they are not serious about their calling ,
i started hairdressing at 16 and i took it completley serious , i would much rather a load of 1st yr students were there , than mums with their kids (no offence meant here , as i am a mum myself ) but wouldnt dream of taking my kids to professional show (gawd i dont even like taking mine to the supermarket :lol: )

I'm with you on that one Dee, and I'm a mum as well!!!!!

So peeps what do we do ? How do we get them to listen ?

So peeps what do we do ? How do we get them to listen ?

Do they give out any kind of feedback cards or anything like that? If not, I would have no problem writing a short feedback to send to them following the event. Perhaps anyone who feels strongly enough about it should do something like that? If it's the bad then it's worth the effort isn't it?

new brands doesn't mean good brands.
if you want my little bit of advice, stick to the real and long lasting ones, or internationnal ones, for a few easy reasons...
anybody can launch their brand, you just need the capital in the beginning. unluckily money doesn't make you'll make it last "like that", and it's always boring to have to find another brand when you've been used to working with one.

ha ha uniforms. (sorry) this seems to be so british it's amusing.

new brands doesn't mean good brands.
if you want my little bit of advice, stick to the real and long lasting ones,

I totally agree that just because it's new it doesn't mean it's good but I for one don't take anyone else's word for it alone (word of mouth is a good source) as often this can just be a matter of taste/opinion/preference. I prefer to check things out for myself too. This type of thing is a fabulous way of doing that IMO and I'm looking forward to doing so :)

ooh I didn't mean you shouldn't check them, some will survive, and the big ones once started small.

but... lol.

I saw many many many new brands in Bologna and the following year they're already dead... so it can be sad.

Lots of people are saying about brands, can i ask, what/who do you think are good brands, new and long established?

Latest posts

Back