Industry shows

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becki x

Reaction score
On the back of another thread and a post i have just read,i thought it warranted it's own thread :D

As a professional do you really want to walk into a trade show only for it to look like a market,bag's jewellery etc ?

I have noticed those who exhibit at the show talk about supporting our industry etc,IMO that's not what it's about anymore.

Mrs x is able to take in her mum and kids buy a little handbag and some neon hair pieces and maybe pick up a few enamels at trade price ! Whooo

Where does that leave the serious tech ?

I have already read some view points on this,but would love for you to share yours,thanks geeks x

I agree and thats why i haven't been to one in ages...IMO its all about greed...they let anyone in and let anyone have a stand....its all about ££££££££

I agree Angie,and we are all here to make money other wise it would be a hobby as geeg says lol

however i don't churn out sub standard sets to claw back a few quid so why should our trade shows have less standards ?

And what do we do to get this changed ?

Last edited:
me too , hence why i dont bother with em now , when i was new to it all it was ok but after a few visits , and you see such a high percentage of cr@p that you can get anywhere , it just drives me crackers :eek:
if i am at a nail /beauty show i really want to be seeing professional brands there not the likes of diy stuff
sorry just my rant x

Hi I have only been to one and that was Olympia, so I thought that was the norm, only thing that really surprised me were a couple of stands that quite honestly looked like they had come straight from the flea market.
After reading the posts on here I can understand why so many Geeks have lost heart and stopped going to the shows, as for me, well I am still at the excited stage, and maybe all this feedback is getting through to those in charge and things will change for the better. So ALL Geeks and professionals will start attending shows again.
Because lets face it at the end of the day its very short sighted of them to let anyone have a stall and anyone to attend...who is going to spend more money...Joe public on a handbag...or the professional on professional products. x

from a foreign point of view, here we only have one national show. it is interesting but it is for all the cosmetic world, hair, make up, nails, altogether. so you see many things, many ppl, test...

we (my company) always go there because it is a great oportunity to meet up with our clients, talk with them and also introduce a new lacquer collection, nail art tendencies, etc.
BUT we never sell anything, we only take orders, only for professionnal, due to the minimal that you have to order. some complain, but it is a way also to have the woman who only wants a polish go to a nail studio working with our products (because in my country there's no Sally ;))

and for now, no kids were seen. the organisation sucked big time, but no kids. and next year I bring my swimm suit and test the jacuzzis

Ive never been to a beauty/nail show, but what I would expect is,for it to be based soley on these trades.
Id be really disappointed if it was like a local market etc,and even though I have children,Id prefer for there to be none, espicially prams.
If I wanted market stuff and to be ran over by prams then Id go to a market instead, hope I dont offend anyone?? Im a mom too :)

I've never been to one and have been looking forward to pro beauty in Manchester. I have to say I'm shocked :suprised: I wasn't expecting to find handbags there??? Why on earth would there be handbags on sale at a beauty exhibition?? hmmm... also, I though the whole idea of it was 'professional' beauty... not 'come and get it anyone'!!!

As I've never been to one before I'm going to reserve judgement yet but have to say my enthusiasm dropped a little when I read this :irked:

This is why I am going to go to the BABTAC Roadshow next time there is one close to me. I had hoped to go to the Bristol venue but it has been postponed until next year :cry:

I will never forget the first time I went to GMEX and there was an EBAY nail shop there :eek: !!

I went to to Professional Beauty @ excel this year and thought it was awful I was shocked at the lack of big names there, when it used to be at Olympia every beauty/nail/etc exhibitor under the sun would be there and it was definetly the best, I could easily have spent the whole weekend there.

Did Pro Beauty used to be just two days and not three ? I was thinking maybe the extra cost has put companies of exhibiting ?? Or has it always been three days ?

As I've never been to one before I'm going to reserve judgement yet but have to say my enthusiasm dropped a little when I read this

Aw hun :hug: forwarned is for armed ! xx

Did Pro Beauty used to be just two days and not three ? I was thinking maybe the extra cost has put companies of exhibiting ?? Or has it always been three days ?

Yes hun it was 2 days x

I've never been to one and have been looking forward to pro beauty in Manchester. I have to say I'm shocked :suprised: I wasn't expecting to find handbags there??? Why on earth would there be handbags on sale at a beauty exhibition?? hmmm... also, I though the whole idea of it was 'professional' beauty... not 'come and get it anyone'!!!

As I've never been to one before I'm going to reserve judgement yet but have to say my enthusiasm dropped a little when I read this :irked:

Well the whole point is that these shows are no longer professional anymore which is why many of the top brands will not be at Manchester. Exhibitors cannot make it pay, especially when they have to bring a show team to man the stand and put them all up in hotels and feed them (which of course you have to do ) as well as pay them ... if the organisers cannot get the professionals to the show to buy then why should the pro companies exhibit there??

So the organisers have to rent stand space to any old person selling any old thing to make the show pay for them, they have to fill the empty spaces ... I mean there was a tarot card stand at the last show amongst other things!! What the hell is that supposed to be all about and such low end quality stands selling JUNK.

If you want to know about a company and the brand it represents, FAR BETTER to put your money toward tickets to a special EVENT when you see it advertised, which offers top education plus a chance to meet and to be taught by some of the most famous people in the whole industry. At least you'll be getting quality for your money and getting something that will really benefit you and your business.

At the Sweet Squared EVENT in October there will also be one hell of a party in between the 2 days to really let your hair down. A chance to TALK (which there never is at shows) and an EVENT to remember. You won't get any of those things at a show.

I advise you to check it out. Any professionals are more than welcome to come. The EVENT is highlighted in August SCRATCH magazine and of course you can always ring Sweet Squared 08452106060 for further details.

Has anyone thought about whether there are enough beauty stands to fill up the venue. I am not sure how many different beauty industries there are all together that put themselves forward to set up a stand. Also, there is the cost of hiring a space to consider. I agree that bags etc are nothing to do with beauty per say, but there must be a reason why other industries can have been allowed to pitch their stand. Perhaps beauty industries can shed a bit of light on the matter as to how a rough estimate of the cost of pitching a stand. If this is a difficult question then I accept. :)

Hi
I have never been to a show as they are to far away for me to travel but was thinking of going to one next year (hubby promised to take me to one) is there one you would recommend x

Has anyone thought about whether there are enough beauty stands to fill up the venue. I am not sure how many different beauty industries there are all together that put themselves forward to set up a stand. Also, there is the cost of hiring a space to consider. I agree that bags etc are nothing to do with beauty per say, but there must be a reason why other industries can have been allowed to pitch their stand. Perhaps beauty industries can shed a bit of light on the matter as to how a rough estimate of the cost of pitching a stand. If this is a difficult question then I accept. :)

My husband designs and builds the stands :D they vary hugely in cost but are extremely expensive,they cover the cost of the workers their digs and expenses plus building material petrol,time you name it.So i know what goes into this,to give an example of a price would be impossible,you wouldn't beleive your eyes if you saw some of them.

However i would rather pay an entry fee than get a ticket for me and a guest to help improve the standard of the show,rather than the organisers happily letting out space to non pro,or even non relevant companies

have you ever been to the CosmoProf Salon in Bologna???

there are MANY MANY MANY brands. anyone with some money can create its own... maybe look it up, you'll be amazed.

the cost of renting is really high, and then yes you only pay for the space, you then have to fill it, buy a structure, and as Geeg said, the ppl... I understand, from your comment, why so few bigs make it to your shows...

on a side note, I'd kill my bro to go to the Sweet Squared EVENT if it weren't on my bday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Of course it has been thought about. I've done shows for 25 years and Show venues of old were of course full to the brim with beauty and nail stands and professionals and salon owners ... they had to search for larger premises to hold he shows in hence why Olympia moved to Excel.

Then the organisers thought, oh maybe we can make even more money by making it a 3 day show and that way the exhibitors will have to pay for an extra days rent! Trouble is, no one came on the extra day ... or you had 2 pants days where everyone who would have come on day 1 & 2 spread out over 3 days.

The organisers are supposed to advertise these shows and get the professionals there .. that is their end of the deal... trouble is they didn't deliver the extra professionals but still kept the show at 3 days! Ridiculous.

Numbers of pros have got so low low that at the last show at Excel, there was also a "mother and baby" show running across the way and they let all those folks in!! Can you imagine what that was like?? Non professionals plus their kids. One on the hip and one in a pram and granny trailing behind with a toddler. :eek: What a mess.

I could tell you exactly what it costs to take a huge stand like the ones we had for CND in the past but I don't really think it is appropriate to tell you nor would it accomplish anything to do so. And the stand cost is only a part of it ... the stock ... the team ... the accommodation the food and drink ... the transport of all of it ... the setting up ... you've no idea!

Numbers of pros have got so low low that at the last show at Excel, there was also a "mother and baby" show running across the way and they let all those folks in!! Can you imagine what that was like?? Non professionals plus their kids. One on the hip and one in a pram and granny trailing behind with a toddler. :eek: What a mess.

I remember that!! It was horrendous. Though i think the highlight of that day was that i got to see you showcase the popits!!:)

Of course it has been thought about. I've done shows for 25 years and Show venues of old were of course full to the brim with beauty and nail stands and professionals and salon owners ... they had to search for larger premises to hold he shows in hence why Olympia moved to Excel.

Then the organisers thought, oh maybe we can make even more money by making it a 3 day show and that way the exhibitors will have to pay for an extra days rent! Trouble is, no one came on the extra day ... or you had 2 pants days where everyone who would have come on day 1 & 2 spread out over 3 days.

The organisers are supposed to advertise these shows and get the professionals there .. that is their end of the deal... trouble is they didn't deliver the extra professionals but still kept the show at 3 days! Ridiculous.

I could tell you exactly what it costs to take a huge stand like the ones we had for CND in the past but I don't really think it is appropriate to tell you nor would it accomplish anything to do so. And the stand cost is only a part of it ... the stock ... the team ... the accommodation the food and drink ... the transport of all of it ... the setting up ... you've no idea!

Do you think theres anything that can be done about it?

Do you think theres anything that can be done about it?

Lots of things can be done about it.
This very thread may be doing something about it. :lol:
The Sweet Squared EVENT in October is definitely doing something about it. :green:

This very thread may be doing something about it

I hope so !

This thread isn't about pulling anyone down,but for us to voice our opinions,speak and ye shall be heard :D

So if you have an opinion please say so, show organisers NEED our feedback surely it can only help to improve things :idea:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back