Infilling other's work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meme!

Reaction score
hi geeks just wanted to know your thoughts on infilling others peoples work mainly with regards to acrylics,i had a lady who came with nails(not done by me)and wanted infilling but they were really looking worse for wear so advised a new set and just had a lady who has enquired about an infill on her nails that i didnt do

for some reason i realy dont like the sound of infilling another techs work but when i think why im not sure of the answers isit fine todit this?what do you fellow geeks doxx thanks

I do it if I think the end result will be ok! I just file the nails right down with my e-file and then apply as normal:) hth

this does help mrmarkymarc thanks.its just ive read and heard that alot of techs do not like to doit.??x

Same, I would assess the nails when I met with the client. 9/10 I've found I can infill, however I've had a few that have a lot of growth/chips/discolouring and weighed up soaking off versus infilling to an acceptable standard and how long it will take etc. Although I'm not a huge fan of infilling MMA (as it is so hard to file as I don't use an efile) I will if it will offer an acceptable set of nails for the client :)

I always say to Infills that I haven't done before is that I need to assess their nails to see if a proper infill can be done....if not I offer to soak them off and apply fresh set.

Most like this as it shows you're thorough and care about the quality of your work.

I agree I don't like to infill mma it's very hard to file and it has a funny smell

I'm never sure why some are so wary of following someone else's work. If the nails look healthy and secure then why ever not? I have an area on my CRC for clients to sign if they have come to me from another technician but I have actually never had any problems with anyone.

I've gained hundreds of new clients over the years by 'taking over' where another tech has left off and making much nicer nails than the clients arrived with! :green: it's a real chance to impress and I would grab it with both hands (so to speak).

I wouldn't work on horribly discoloured nails or loose, leaky gross looking nails on anyone ... They would be removed and replaced ... It would not be an option for the client at all. I would make the judgement and they can take it or leave it. They always take a new set if I tell them it is needed. It's all about trust ... I would never tell a client they needed a new set if they didn't.

thanks for your replies they are very helpful and have put me at ease with my thoughts..can i ask what the term for mma is please.lolx

thanks for your replies they are very helpful and have put me at ease with my thoughts..can i ask what the term for mma is please.lolx

Methyl Methacrylate is a cheap liquid which isn't good for your health and some salons still use this!

Just a quick question for the more experienced nail techs.
If someone is booked in for an infill on nails you haven't done, but when you see them you think they need soaking off and re-doing what happens if you have only booked out an hour to do them. Do you ask them to re-book?
I'm still quite new to nail extensions so it still takes me quite a long time to do a full set and would certainly be nowhere near finished after an hour!

Yes not a problem infilling other techs work, as long as all is well. If they are rubbish, they would have to come off. And if I didn't have time I would probably suggest a soak that day, throw a polish in and not charge just for sweetness, and rebook a new set at the next available time. It's not fair to make the next and subsequent clients late.

Just a quick question for the more experienced nail techs.
If someone is booked in for an infill on nails you haven't done, but when you see them you think they need soaking off and re-doing what happens if you have only booked out an hour to do them. Do you ask them to re-book?
I'm still quite new to nail extensions so it still takes me quite a long time to do a full set and would certainly be nowhere near finished after an hour!

To be honest I'd book out the relevant time that it takes you to do a soak off and new set just to be sure. You never know what condition the clients nails will be in. :biggrin:

Thanks for your replies. I've got a bit more idea of what to do if the situation arises now x

personally I dont infill someone else's work. I dont like to breathe in the dust from non standard salons. I find the majority of people who have asked for infills are expecting it at a much lower price than a new set, as they are under the impression you are all done in 30 mins.
Maybe so in a NSS, but seem as how my prices are not so high to start with, I would have to charge even less for an infill which I dont want to do.
I will infill my own products, as I know what to expect and its good experience for me and I need to speed up. (plus I'm not inhailing toxic dust) and I want to keep my clients coming back of course.

What about Infilling with gel? Any thoughts??

What about Infilling with gel? Any thoughts??

Gel is not different, same rules apply?
It depends on the nails you are presented with.
If speaking with a client on the phone, it's always best to not give a definite answer of "will need replacing or yes I can infill" when first speaking with the client, you must wait to see what you are presented with and make the decision from there.

Gel is not different, same rules apply?
It depends on the nails you are presented with.
If speaking with a client on the phone, it's always best to not give a definite answer of "will need replacing or yes I can infill" when first speaking with the client, you must wait to see what you are presented with and make the decision from there.

how can you be sure what the client has on their nails?

may seem a silly question to us nail techs, but some clients haven't got the faintest idea, i try and ask how it was applied but sometimes i think my questioning leads them.

would it be the end of the world if product was taken right down and the opposite product applied? e.g. rebalance using gel on a L&P nail or vice versa?

how can you be sure what the client has on their nails?

may seem a silly question to us nail techs, but some clients haven't got the faintest idea, i try and ask how it was applied but sometimes i think my questioning leads them.

would it be the end of the world if product was taken right down and the opposite product applied? e.g. rebalance using gel on a L&P nail or vice versa?

I usually just ask them "was it liquid and powder?" And they'll be able to recall right away. :) And it shouldn't be a problem if you you use gel on l&p and vice versa. There was a discussion about this on another post (sorry I can't recall which) but it's not unheard of to do that.

Latest posts

Back