Ingrowing hair!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Geeg. You haven't offended me and I'm the one who wants the question answered once and for all! lol
The majority are saying stick to shaving and thats what I'm gonna do unless your expert friend tells me something different!:)

Well I shave my legs every few days. I love it when they are waxed, but can't stand the waiting and the growing the long hair until they can be waxed again!! I have been lucky maybe and never have an ingrowing hair. It does not sound nice at all. I also shave my bikini line too and have never had a problem there!! It may be an industry no no but it has worked for me for more than 30 years!! :lol:

Well I shave my legs every few days. I love it when they are waxed, but can't stand the waiting and the growing the long hair until they can be waxed again!! I have been lucky maybe and never have an ingrowing hair. It does not sound nice at all. I also shave my bikini line too and have never had a problem there!! It may be an industry no no but it has worked for me for more than 30 years!! :lol:
It's not an industry no no at all..The only reason we recommend ladies dont shave 'down below',is because when you get the re-growth it itches like crazy,whereas when you wax the hair is tapered and dosn't itch.
My daughter shaves down below.She is a qualified beauty therapist as well but chooses to shave as she has a low pain threshold and wont be waxed or wax herself.:eek:
I would never shave down below,cannot stand the itching with the regrowth.
Neither of us suffer with ingrown hairs yet we both use different depilation methods.

Well have to say i found all this very interesting and some really good information on here keep it up

WEll ahve to say i foudn all thsi very interesting and some really good information on here keep it up

Same here.. its great to have such a mix of tallented people who are willing to offer and share techniques and advise... Hip hip horay for the Salon Geek :hug:

It is a known fact that waxing causes more ingrown hairs than shaving does,due to the damage done to the hair follicle as mentioned earlier.
However,one of the side effects of shaving can also be ingrown hairs.This is usually worse for people with curly hair,It's known as pseudofolliculitis barbae,or razor bumps.
These side effects can be minimized by using a fresh blade,making sure you lubricate your skin fully prior to shaving and avoid pressing the razor down too hard on the skin.

BABSann I too have found this thread very interesting. I used to get my legs waxed and stopped because I got MORE in-growing hairs than not. However this didn't seem to happen on my underarms. I have had these waxed for 8 years with no problems. Recently I have had my underarms lasered and the hair is just non existant now, but I still get out the Mach3 and Gillette Gel for bikini and leg area. I would love to have everything lasered and then I'd never have to worry again (don't want to put the waxing geeks out of business though):smack:

Skingeek is actually a very interesting forum. Thanks Skingeeks for your professional insights!!:hug:

BABSann I too have found this thread very interesting. I used to get my legs waxed and stopped because I got MORE in-growing hairs than not. However this didn't seem to happen on my underarms. I have had these waxed for 8 years with no problems. Recently I have had my underarms lasered and the hair is just non existant now, but I still get out the Mach3 and Gillette Gel for bikini and leg area. I would love to have everything lasered and then I'd never have to worry again (don't want to put the waxing geeks out of business though):smack:

Skingeek is actually a very interesting forum. Thanks Skingeeks for your professional insights!!:hug:

Lazer treatment is a great option for some people,however people with darker hair respond better because treatment very much depends on the light energy being absorbed by the pigment colour of the hair.

People with white,grey or platinum blond hair will not respond to lazer treatment.
Lazer treatment is only effective on hairs during the growing cycle(active)

So although you dont have any regrowth at the moment additional treatment will be required to treat other hair follicles as they re-enter the growth phase and produce new growth.

Hope this helps a bit.Guess there will always be business for us waxers though even if it be only the fair haired variety.:hug: xx

Lazer treatment is a great option for some people,however people with darker hair respond better because treatment very much depends on the light energy being absorbed by the pigment colour of the hair.

People with white,grey or platinum blond hair will not respond to lazer treatment.
Lazer treatment is only effective on hairs during the growing cycle(active)

So although you dont have any regrowth at the moment additional treatment will be required to treat other hair follicles as they re-enter the growth phase and produce new growth.

Hope this helps a bit.Guess there will always be business for us waxers though even if it be only the fair haired variety.:hug: xx

Thanks!
I might have a look into this then. Do you know if it is very expensive?

Thanks!
It can be, best to have a look on the net,type in lazer hair removal and will give you different areas and prices.
It can be expensive in the short term but when you add up all those waxing treatments people have say every 4 to 6 weeks,sometimes less then it is actually more cost effective.HTH

Thanks!

As a general rule, the lighter your hair the more expensive treatment will be as you will need more sessions with the laser to achieve a totally hair-free result.

Traditional laser methods were not effective on very light and mature (grey) hair, and actively dangerous to use on darker skins. Now I've heard from a Botox nurse based in London that the clinic she works in on Harley Street is offering a pioneering laser treatment suitable for the lightest hair and safe for darker skins...all good news eh :green:

Thanks Girls!

No, that hair is dark, so I should get a discount! lol
Mind you if it stops me having my Spray Tan done whilst I'm getting the treatment forget it!:lol:

Thanks Girls!

No, that hair is dark, so I should get a discount! lol
Mind you if it stops me having my Spray Tan done whilst I'm getting the treatment forget it!:lol:
I cant really see many people queuing up for Harley street really anyway,imagine the prices.I think that will very much be for the select 'few':green: Good luck though,have a look on the Web,lots of smashing bargains at affordable prices!!!

to have my underarms lasered it was £595.00 but they sometimes do deals like, buy half leg and get bikini for free. My underarms are fab and I love how soft they are. I remember the therapist telling me it's not as effective for girlies with blonder hair. Those of you hitting the old bleach bottle should be OK though!! :lol: :lol:

So what ahppens if your a brunette but your goign grey, do leg hairs and underarms go grey? crieky if they do im getting mine off now before i can see it

Latest posts

Back