Ingrowing hair!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm another huge fan of PFB Vanish.. although I do like Tend Skin as well.. but people who are not educated tend to over use it.

ive found salon systems ingrown hair terminator is fab!! its in a cream form so you apply it every day to prevent ingrown hairs. I prefer it to liquids as i find them a bit messy and hard to apply.

:) hi there, waxing is definately better than shaving if yr prone to ingrown hairs as being waxed by a professional will ensure the hairs are all pulled out in the correct direction minimising trapped/ingrown hairs. shaving obviously cuts off the hairs at wrong directions as u sweep the razor up over many hairs. definately keep up with the exfoliating and moisturisin to help!! i know wot u mean with the tan as i am always smothered in fake tan as i do not believ in skin damage through sun exposure anymore since i stupidly use to nail the sunbeds and sun, stupid!!! am much wiser now!!!!!
gud luck!!! x
I have to disagree with this.waxing can actually make a person more prone to ingrown hairs.Unfortunately some people are more prone to ingrown hairs than others.
As mentioned earlier moisturising the area and exfoliating will help reduce this problem.
We retail a product called Ingrow Go,it's excellent in preventing and getting rid of ingrown hairs.Men can use it as well as women.

I'm another huge fan of PFB Vanish.. although I do like Tend Skin as well.. but people who are not educated tend to over use it.

i see you all talking about this PFB vanish but have never heard of it, is it a technciians tool only or is it somethign we can buy, i suffer with the worse ingrown hairs in my calves you have ever seen and been like it for years before i ever waxed or shaved my legs.

Have to say though i am very confused now as to whether waxing or shaving is the worse culprit as non of you seem to agree with each other.

I also love getting the odd ingrown hair and rooting around to pull it out!!

Can anyone explain what threading is?

i see you all talking about this PFB vanish but have never heard of it, is it a technciians tool only or is it somethign we can buy, i suffer with the worse ingrown hairs in my calves you have ever seen and been like it for years before i ever waxed or shaved my legs.

Hey Scatty :)

You can buy PFB Vanish in the UK from Salonlines (click to be taken to their website, sorry mods if I'm not allowed to post this). You can also buy it wholesale from the same distributors, but will need to give them a ring in order to set up a trade account.

Alternatively, ping me a PM and I'll pop a trial size in the post for you.

Andy x

Believe me I am no expert in this skin forum .... I know nothing!! BUT I do know the experts in this field (one a particularly good friend and top educator for a top company) and she has always told me that one is more prone to ingrowing hairs after waxing than after shaving. I think amydemans post was very informative, well written and sounded logical to me.

I think I will have to invite my friend to come on as our resident expert in the skingeek forum so that we have the same type of factual information as we have on the nailgeek.

It is a known fact that waxing causes more ingrown hairs than shaving does,due to the damage done to the hair follicle as mentioned earlier.
However,one of the side effects of shaving can also be ingrown hairs.This is usually worse for people with curly hair,It's known as pseudofolliculitis barbae,or razor bumps.
These side effects can be minimized by using a fresh blade,making sure you lubricate your skin fully prior to shaving and avoid pressing the razor down too hard on the skin.

It is a known fact that waxing causes more ingrown hairs than shaving does,due to the damage done to the hair follicle as mentioned earlier.
However,one of the side effects of shaving can also be ingrown hairs.This is usually worse for people with curly hair,It's known as pseudofolliculitis barbae,or razor bumps.
These side effects can be minimized by using a fresh blade,making sure you lubricate your skin fully prior to shaving and avoid pressing the razor down too hard on the skin.

Thank you. I'm learning loads ... keep it coming .. I could be a skin geek yet.

Thank you. I'm learning loads ... keep it coming .. I could be a skin geek yet.
LOL Gigi,you will be an expert skin geek in no time.:)

Wel for the bikini area, it is never reccommended for it to be shaved. to shave this area is seen as a beauty sin. every other method of hair removal is better than shaving -for the bikini area!!!!!!

Ooh hang on there missus:green:

I'll just break down the name pseduofolliculitis barbae for those who don't understand Latin (so...erm...that's all of us then:green: ) pseudo (false) follicle (hair) itis (inflammation) barbae (of the beard)....this is actually a condition that effects only men and hirsute women.

You can also get pseudofolliculitis on the back of your neck (well, men and hirsute women can), which is then called pseudofolliculitis nuchae.

This condition occurs when hairs exit the follicle shaft then curl back and re-enter the skin adjacent to the follicle shaft. It is exacerbated by shaving because shaving leaves the hair tip very sharp and therefore much more efficient at re-entering the skin.

This condition mainly effects men of African descent, because of the exceptional curliness of their hair. (look some pics up on the internet....the whole beard area of these guys is covered by pustular papules and keloid scarring....I can't imagine the pain....poor blokes).

The condition pseudofolliculitis pubis effects the pubic hair of both sexes, but it takes some proper wirey/curly pubic hair to cause a bad case of pseudofolliculitis pubis.

Pseudofolliculitis cannot really occur on calf/thigh/arm hair, because it mainly effects terminal hair, not vellous hair. Vellous hair is too straight and too fine to be able to curl back on itself with any sort of conviction, unless of course it has already been distorted by waxing (and even then there's not much chance).

Just thought I'd better clear that up before gigi's expert friend comes to join us :green:

Ooh hang on there missus:green:

I'll just break down the name pseduofolliculitis barbae for those who don't understand Latin (so...erm...that's all of us then:green: ) pseudo (false) follicle (hair) itis (inflammation) barbae (of the beard)....this is actually a condition that effects only men and hirsute women.

You can also get pseudofolliculitis on the back of your neck (well, men and hirsute women can), which is then called pseudofolliculitis nuchae.

This condition occurs when hairs exit the follicle shaft then curl back and re-enter the skin adjacent to the follicle shaft. It is exacerbated by shaving because shaving leaves the hair tip very sharp and therefore much more efficient at re-entering the skin.

This condition mainly effects men of African descent, because of the exceptional curliness of their hair. (look some pics up on the internet....the whole beard area of these guys is covered by pustular papules and keloid scarring....I can't imagine the pain....poor blokes).

The condition pseudofolliculitis pubis effects the pubic hair of both sexes, but it takes some proper wirey/curly pubic hair to cause a bad case of pseudofolliculitis pubis.

Pseudofolliculitis cannot really occur on calf/thigh/arm hair, because it mainly effects terminal hair, not vellous hair. Vellous hair is too straight and too fine to be able to curl back on itself with any sort of conviction, unless of course it has already been distorted by waxing (and even then there's not much chance).

Just thought I'd better clear that up before gigi's expert friend comes to join us :green:

Maybe we don't need her ... looks like we've got an expert already .. YOU!! Thank you. :lol:

Excuse me all, apparently I have upset one individual in this thread by even suggesting that I ask an industry expert to join the nail geek to help give advice in times of conflicting opinions such as there has been in this thread.

Again, apparently, I have been rude and insulting to this individual personally, even though I was not aiming my suggestion at any individual at all.

I thought everyone would like to have an industry head here on the skin geek, even though there are obviously some pretty knowledgeable skin geeks here already. I was not meaning to insult anyones knowledge or expertise just offering what I thought would be a helpful tool in times of conflict. Most geeks in the past have seemed to think it was positively marvelous to have access to industry experts on the nail geek ... why would it not be the same right here?

Any way humble apologies to any I have unintentionally offended with my suggestion. I'M STILL GOING TO ASK HER THOUGH :lol: :lol:

Always great to have more than one expert opinion. I've learned loads already from the Skin Geek, shame some people feel intimidated by new members. Shame also that some people misinterpret a good intention.

The more experts, the better, in my opinion.

Excellent, informative post Amy. :green:

Excuse me all, apparently I have upset one individual in this thread by even suggesting that I ask an industry expert to join the nail geek to help give advice in times of conflicting opinions such as there has been in this thread.

Again, apparently, I have been rude and insulting to this individual personally, even though I was not aiming my suggestion at any individual at all.

I thought everyone would like to have an industry head here on the skin geek, even though there are obviously some pretty knowledgeable skin geeks here already. I was not meaning to insult anyones knowledge or expertise just offering what I thought would be a helpful tool in times of conflict. Most geeks in the past have seemed to think it was positively marvelous to have access to industry experts on the nail geek ... why would it not be the same right here?

Any way humble apologies to any I have unintentionally offended with my suggestion. I'M STILL GOING TO ASK HER THOUGH :lol: :lol:

I'm with the positively marvellous gang :green:

And clairet...thanks :wink2:

I for the life of me can't imagine why anyone wouldn't value the input of leading industry professionals - surely it's how we all learn and grow to be the best therapists we can be, even if that means having our views and comfort zones challenged from time to time?

I'd rather be at the cutting edge, not so set in my ways that I'm not prepared to listen to anyone else and get left behind as a result.

What a fantastic opportunity - bring on the experts, I say! :green:

We can never know enough although there are those that think they already do.Unfortunately they are the ones who wont be told.
I think it's a good idea to bring on as many experts as are willing.
:)

Thank you Geeg. You haven't offended me and I'm the one who wants the question answered once and for all! lol
The majority are saying stick to shaving and thats what I'm gonna do unless your expert friend tells me something different!:)

Latest posts

Back