Ingrowing hair!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tars

Reaction score
In the last couple of years I get the odd very painful ingrowing hair.
Would it make any difference if I waxed instead of shaved?

have you tried threading?

have you tried threading?

Yes I threaded this lol !

No I haven't. Would this make a difference? I suppose what I'm asking is, is it my shaving that causing them?

Hi, I have recently completed a waxing course (still waiting for my final assesment) so am a newby, however we were taught that waxing can make you more prone to ingrowing hairs, however the best way to avoid them is to exfoliate regularly and keep the areas well moisturised.
Some of the more experienced geeks will know more and have some handy hints I'm sure !!
HTH

Ive always been under the same impression as Sallyann... that regular exfoliation helps the situation.
Personally, I still prefer to shave my legs rather than wax as even with exfoliation I find I get more ingrown hairs with waxing, dont know if it has anything to do with the hair being finer.

those bloody hairs, ive shaved, threaded, waxed the lot and i still getbthe odd one,
the only thing that really helps is hard exfoliation, hope this helps x

Hi, I have recently completed a waxing course (still waiting for my final assesment) so am a newby, however we were taught that waxing can make you more prone to ingrowing hairs, however the best way to avoid them is to exfoliate regularly and keep the areas well moisturised.
Some of the more experienced geeks will know more and have some handy hints I'm sure !!
HTH

me too.
as you need to shave more often than wax, you exfoliate every time you do it as the action of the razor removes old skin cells as well as hair.
waxing does pick up those cells too, but as you do it much less frequently they build up to a thicker layer preventing the erruption of the hairs.

regular exfoliation and moisturising should help.

i usually wax and rarely follow my own advice and i get loads of ingrown hairs. not the ones that look like a spot, but mine grow under the surface and are clearly visible but trapped under a thin layer of skin. very strange:irked:
as i dont do much waxing, i dont really know if thats unusual or not:confused:

angel!!!
yes those ones under a thin layer and no spot are so common. i use good tweezers and just hook them out on to the top again ;)

angel!!!
yes those ones under a thin layer and no spot are so common. i use good tweezers and just hook them out on to the top again ;)

ha, so i'm not a total freak then:green:
tough i dont just get one or two, i get them in patches mostly on the sides and back of my calfs.

Thanks for all your replies! I'll have to step up the exfoliating even though I do it alot as I wear Spray Tan most of the time.
They just hurt so much and I hook them out too! eewwww gross!:eek:

if you do get a ingrown hair...it helps to put a small dab of Magnesium Sulphate Paste on a plaster and apply over the ingrown hair...it draws it out...also fab for splinters...works every time on me. xxx

:) hi there, waxing is definately better than shaving if yr prone to ingrown hairs as being waxed by a professional will ensure the hairs are all pulled out in the correct direction minimising trapped/ingrown hairs. shaving obviously cuts off the hairs at wrong directions as u sweep the razor up over many hairs. definately keep up with the exfoliating and moisturisin to help!! i know wot u mean with the tan as i am always smothered in fake tan as i do not believ in skin damage through sun exposure anymore since i stupidly use to nail the sunbeds and sun, stupid!!! am much wiser now!!!!!
gud luck!!! x

if you do get a ingrown hair...it helps to put a small dab of Magnesium Sulphate Paste on a plaster and apply over the ingrown hair...it draws it out...also fab for splinters...works every time on me. xxx

Thanks again, I'll keep that in mind! Have just got over a painful hair in my bikini line, wish I'd posted this sooner and then I might not have suffered so much!

is this the same as facial magnesium?? or do I get it else where?

Am I the only one who loves getting an ingrown hair? its so satsfying to squeeze them and get this great big long hair out!!!! fab! Unless they are painful and get infected then its not much fun!

perhaps Im just a weirdo!!

Definitely stick to shaving if you're prone to ingrown hairs, and as mentioned lots....make sure you exfoliate well! Sometimes manual exfoliation (with a loofah or sisal mitt) is not enough, so try chemical exfoliation; Decleor's Phytopeel and an Aveda exfoliation product (can't remember exact name) are especially good.

Shaving will not distort hair growth because you are not damaging the follicle using this depilation method, you are simply cutting the hair down so it is level with the skin. This is also why you will be less prone to ingrown hairs than if you were to wax.

Waxing is more invasive than shaving and because you are pulling the hair out directly from the follicle in the opposite direction to which the hair is growing, this can distort hair growth and cause hair to follow the direction in which it is waxed (for example: hair growing up the shin, rather than down).

There are pros and cons to both depilatory methods, and if you experience no contra-actions to waxing then it's fab for it's long-lasting effect! Everyone to their own :green:

I find that many people get more ingrowns with shaving as apposed to waxing. Incorrect technique while waxing can contribute to ingrowns. It is very important to not only exfoliate after waxing but to also moisturize. I instruct my clients to exfoliate one day, moisturize the next, exfoliate, moisturize and continue to alternate until you see the hair come through. Then you can slow down on that. Then, about 4 days before you come in for another wax, start exfoliating again... every day until you come in for your wax.

Is there a exfoliater that you recommend or just any one?

Definitely stick to shaving if you're prone to ingrown hairs...

Shaving will not distort hair growth because you are not damaging the follicle using this depilation method, you are simply cutting the hair down so it is level with the skin. This is also why you will be less prone to ingrown hairs than if you were to wax.

Funnily enough, it's not always been my experience that shaving will cause less ingrowing hairs than waxing - especially if the shave is particularly close and the hair is shorn off just below the surface of the skin (which can easily happen with multi-bladed razors).

The hair can get trapped under a build-up of dead skin cells regardless of whether it is tweezed, waxed, shaved or sugared. Curly hair (think bikini line, underarms and afro-caribbean hair) is also more prone to getting trapped as it can curl into the wall of the follicle as it regrows.

As Amy mentioned, chemical exfoliation is a great help - something containing the BHA salicylic acid is ideal (PFB Vanish is my pick of the crop, but steer clear of Tend Skin unless you want to dry your skin out beyond recognition). You will be unable to use these products if you are allergic to asprin, however.

Andy :green:

Latest posts

Back