Interesting article re Bio Sculpture vs Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Kimmi for your reply , and also for coming here to put your views forward to us.
I have replied to you on your blog.
I hope that makes more sense . :)

I found the article very interesting. I am forever explaining the difference between products such as Shellac,Gelish etc and Biosculpture. They are different products but to the consumer they are the same thing...a product which provides non-chip colour.
I think the article was informative for the consumer and they can make there own minds up as to which product is suitable for them. I write a blog on my website and am thinking of writing a similar thing highlighting differences and benefits of both of these great products. Thanks Kimmi :)

Very interesting to read.

Can I add one wee thing that I don't think has been picked up. Bio Sculpture can be infilled. It's actually part of the exam when qualifying. Some tech's don't offer it (I do - each to their own) although I only ever infill once.

I offer both Bio Sculpture and Shellac and both are loved equally by my clients.

Just my tuppence worth

:) xx

As a new geek, I'm sure that there will be plenty of people with different, more experienced views. In my experience however, both as a beauty therapist and a consumer, I would have different views to those expressed in the blog.

In my opinion, Shellac leaves my nails in the same condition that they were when the Shellac was added - an understatement if anything, as my nails are stronger now then they have ever been and this is with un-interrupted shellac use. Bio-sculpture seemed to leave my nails in a weaker condition (i had my nails done at a well respected local salon, whereas I shellac my nails myself)

Bio-sculpture always seemed to lift - again, my nails were done on many occasions in a popular local salon. When I have done Shellac on myself I have never had lifting (and neither have any of my clients)

The colour choice with Bio Gel is undoubtedly fantastic - I love their colours!! But on every other front both I and my clients prefer Shellac including the fast soak off time.

Thank you all for welcoming me and responding to my post. You are all such a lovely bunch of people and I would hate to think anything I say would damage your profession, because I really do love it like it were my own.

If any of you do post about the differences on your own blogs, or would like to do a Q&A with me for my blog, feel free to email me at [email protected]. I take pride in promoting real professionals of any beauty sector. If giving just one of you a public voice means one consumer becomes more educated, than I have done the job I set out to do.

Much love,
Kimmi

Very interesting to read.

Can I add one wee thing that I don't think has been picked up. Bio Sculpture can be infilled. It's actually part of the exam when qualifying. Some tech's don't offer it (I do - each to their own) although I only ever infill once.

I offer both Bio Sculpture and Shellac and both are loved equally by my clients.

Just my tuppence worth

:) xx
Yes it can be in-filled but Bio themselves no longer advocate this.

Jacqui xx

Hi Everyone,

First I would like to say thank-you so much for sharing my post. I understand you are all professionals so my post could be aggravating to many of you.

What I want to clear up though is that I did this post because many of my readers were asking for a comparison. I very strongly believe Shellac and Bio Gel are two very different treatments but as my blog is 100% consumer focused, I like to give my readers what they want.

The post was done back in May, and my subsequent posts have reiterated that these are two very different treatments. I am a huge fan of both, but I do get Shellac more often than Bio Gel at the moment as it is slightly cheaper.

I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has about the post. I LOVE beauty but I am just a beauty consumer talking about the treatments and products that enter her life. I don't claim to be a professional, nor an expert, nor anything other than just one independent female sharing her opinions.

Further more, if anyone is interested in being an official expert on both treatments (you would have to have been trained legitimately by the respective companies and are actively using both services for your clients) I would be happy to conduct an interview with you, and post an 'updated' version.

Thanks again all and I hope this has provided some insight into why I did the post.

Kindest,
Kimmi
xox

Lovely post, very balanced, not defencive, and completely from a user's point of view.

Jacqui xx

I bulleted the main points you made because they stood out in my mind as well. I feel there may have been problems with the application if there were "pinholes" appearing through the surface of her Shellac. And you're absolutely correct about the ridge filling qualities. I have clients with pretty deep ridges in their nails and once they are Shellac'd, no ridges. And Shellac doesn't "lift," it peels.

She admits to being pretty heavy handed. That alone suggests to me that Shellac may not be the product for her and she may need to stick to a gel polish product.

I also wonder if these blogs aren't strategically placed by perhaps someone who is strictly a proponent of or even employed by a product line.

I'm good friends with Kimmie from the plastic diaries and she is in no way affiliated with any make up, nail or skin care company. She has no industry experience. Her blog is her job and she works hard to maintain it and keep info as true and correct as she can for her readers. But as many of you have pointed out she is a blogger therefore her knowledge is limited to that of a consumer and her posts are based solely on her opinions which are always honest and (to my knowledge) never sponsored

HTH

Sam

xoxo

Thank you all for welcoming me and responding to my post. You are all such a lovely bunch of people and I would hate to think anything I say would damage your profession, because I really do love it like it were my own.

If any of you do post about the differences on your own blogs, or would like to do a Q&A with me for my blog, feel free to email me at [email protected]. I take pride in promoting real professionals of any beauty sector. If giving just one of you a public voice means one consumer becomes more educated, than I have done the job I set out to do.

Much love,
Kimmi

Did not see this before I responded #fail lol

As stated in above replies... This is not a completely accurate blog post as far as Shellac is concerned. I do not offer Biosculpture so I cannot comment on it.

I just felt the need to reiterate what has already been said by previous replies. SHELLAC SHOULD NOT THIN YOUR NAILS. There is no step during application or removal that requires thinning of the nail plate.

No bumps occur with application of shellac. Sounds like the person applying this set was too rough with cuticle removal and caused a bit of tearing on the nail plate.

And I'm curious why the blog poster posted two pictures of their Shellac after 14 days stating that they "looked reasonable from afar" but did not post pictures of the Biosculpture after the same amount of time? The Shellac's wear looked great for two weeks and I can't imagine wearing ANY polish with regrowth like that for more than a couple of more days. Her nails were long and even. No breakage.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that every problem that was stated on this blog post could only have been caused by poor application and not the product itself. But from looking at the pictures, the nails looked great for two week wear and I didn't see ANY of these flaws that were stated by the poster. Not even the color wearing down at the tips.

My opinion... Not an accurate read for the consumer.

Yes it can be in-filled but Bio themselves no longer advocate this.

Jacqui xx

Why is this? I use bio sculpture and infill it until clients want a change of colour. I was taught that way and have never had any problems other than average wear and tear breakdowns. Why the change?

Why is this? I use bio sculpture and infill it until clients want a change of colour. I was taught that way and have never had any problems other than average wear and tear breakdowns. Why the change?

I think to make you use your gel faster and buy more from them .

I have never in-filled for these reasons ..

The time and cost difference between in-filling, or removing and having fresh colour applied, is minimal.

Unless you file down the original colour until you can almost see through it the in-fill could be a little thick.

The newsletter that came out about 6 month ago gave similar reasons for their decision.

But if you want to in-fill and your clients are happy then carry on. They are not saying you cannot do it. But they no longer advocate it.

If in doubt give them a call.

Jacqui xx

I have never in-filled for these reasons ..

The time and cost difference between in-filling, or removing and having fresh colour applied, is minimal.

Unless you file down the original colour until you can almost see through it the in-fill could be a little thick.

The newsletter that came out about 6 month ago gave similar reasons for their decision.

But if you want to in-fill and your clients are happy then carry on. They are not saying you cannot do it. But they no longer advocate it.

If in doubt give them a call.

Jacqui xx

Agreed :)

I've done both .. Started out soaking off all the time, then decided I knew better so infilled all the way.
But client's had more probs with lifting (from old product breakdown probably .. But also because *IMO* bio is quite 'rubbery' for want of a better word.. so lots of filing encouraged lifting .. in my experience).

I now soak off ALL the time and it is paying dividends .. clients are going longer between appointments, with minimal product breakdown - and... I'm sort of ashamed to say - my client's nails are much healthier, stronger and in better condition :))

I think this is where there can be such a difference in peoples opinions on Bio and calgel soak off times.

I don't gnerally infil Calgel as i find it takes longer to get off the next time you do want to take it off.

I think this is why some people are saying on here that Calgel and Bio can take 30 minutes or more.Well it can if you have done 3 infils on it because it is thicker but usually its 15 mins.

I infill when I have done sculpts but otherwise soak off everytime as per the latest recommendations.

I infill when I have done sculpts but otherwise soak off everytime as per the latest recommendations.

Oops forgot about sculpts .. I'm the same and infill sculpts (if appropriate) , but otherwise soak x

Thank-you Jacqui.

I am very aware that often journalists and bloggers can get very defensive about their writings, rather than simply listening to the feedback offered and try to explain why they wrote what they wrote.

xox

Thank-you Jacqui.

I am very aware that often journalists and bloggers can get very defensive about their writings, rather than simply listening to the feedback offered and try to explain why they wrote what they wrote.

xox

Your attitude is refreshing.

Latest posts

Back