Interesting article re Bio Sculpture vs Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks.. Good review, an interesting read :)

It was interesting.

I am interested in why i couldnt see a picture of the bio sculpture at six weeks.

I am also interested in the coment about shellac thinning the nails at the tip. If they had been thinned how did they then magically un thin in a weeks time ?

the thing we have to remember is this is a BLOG, many people have them and use them to voice there OPINION!

We also have to think about how the product was apply did she DIY? or get it done by a train professional? or has she done the training?

Ive read many blogs about one product vs. another each one is difference as is opinion, we all have one and thats why we uses the products we do :)

the thing we have to remember is this is a BLOG, many people have them and use them to voice there OPINION!

We also have to think about how the product was apply did she DIY? or get it done by a train professional? or has she done the training?

Ive read many blogs about one product vs. another each one is difference as is opinion, we all have one and thats why we uses the products we do :)

It says in the article that company representatives applied the product so that she could rule out the effects of a dodgy manicurist affecting results.

Well this article wouldn't put me off Shellac. Each to their own. There will be die hard Bio Sculpture fans and Shellac fans. I love Shellac, I love wearing it and so do my clients. Who want's to wear a nail color for six weeks, with an horrendous amount of re-growth? I like to change my nail color quite often and I go the recommended 2 weeks to show my client the wearability of the product.
When I first started using Shellac I only ever experienced bumpy bit's under my Shellac when I hadn't prepped the nail properly or removed cuticle or scratched the nail plate, all of my own doing of course. Teething problems for me and not in anyway associated with Shellac.
I'm sure Bio Sculpture is a really good product but why compare the two when they are two completely different systems?. Silly really I think.:biggrin:

Last edited:
I don't know why people bother to compare the two treatments their not the same, one is a gel and the other isn't xx

There are a few points I disagree with in this, not because of what I do, just because they are not right.
There should be no 'bumps' in the Shellac product unless something has interfered with the application- a fuzzy/ bit of cuticle etc.
Shellac SHOULD be smooth.
Contrary to the blog, Shellac also has ridge filling qualities so those with ridges will still get smooth coverage.
Shellac should not lift, it isnt as strong as Bio however as its not meant to be; I suspect her nails were too bendy for the length she wore at a guess.

The main point; which the blogger did seem to get at the end, is that the products are not the same- they suit different people. Shellac is a power polish, ideal for those with a good natural nail, Bio is a gel which is stronger and more suitable for those with poorer quality nails or wanting more length.
They are different products and so I dont feel its a good comparison to make- you cant compare Shellac to a gel because it isnt one, simple.

I would also bet my bottom dollar she didnt use her solar oil twice daily as recommended in her Shellac aftercare :biggrin:

Interesting read but FULL of incorrect info

• There should be no 'bumps' in the Shellac product unless something has interfered with the application- a fuzzy/ bit of cuticle etc. Shellac SHOULD be smooth.
  • Contrary to the blog, Shellac also has ridge filling qualities so those with ridges will still get smooth coverage.
  • Shellac should not lift, it isnt as strong as Bio however as its not meant to be; I suspect her nails were too bendy for the length she wore at a guess.
The main point; which the blogger did seem to get at the end, is that the products are not the same- they suit different people. Shellac is a power polish, ideal for those with a good natural nail, Bio is a gel which is stronger and more suitable for those with poorer quality nails or wanting more length.
They are different products and so I dont feel its a good comparison to make- you cant compare Shellac to a gel because it isnt one, simple.

I would also bet my bottom dollar she didnt use her solar oil twice daily as recommended in her Shellac aftercare :biggrin:

I bulleted the main points you made because they stood out in my mind as well. I feel there may have been problems with the application if there were "pinholes" appearing through the surface of her Shellac. And you're absolutely correct about the ridge filling qualities. I have clients with pretty deep ridges in their nails and once they are Shellac'd, no ridges. And Shellac doesn't "lift," it peels.

She admits to being pretty heavy handed. That alone suggests to me that Shellac may not be the product for her and she may need to stick to a gel polish product.

I also wonder if these blogs aren't strategically placed by perhaps someone who is strictly a proponent of or even employed by a product line.

She admits to being pretty heavy handed. That alone suggests to me that Shellac may not be the product for her and she may need to stick to a gel polish product.

I also wonder if these blogs aren't strategically placed by perhaps someone who is strictly a proponent of or even employed by a product line.

I agree , hence why I have posted a reply to her blog.

I did wonder too, dont get me wrong, Bio has a fantastic reputation no doubt, but the article in general appears more bias in my opinion, but I thought that perhaps was just me and my love for the product I use, hence why I didnt mention.

I don't use biosculpture so I can't speak about it...but we may be a little Shellac-centric. LOL

Yes an interesting article but in my opinion, not a good article.

The simple reason being, the 2 products being tested are not the same.

It is like comparing chalk and cheese.

Had she tested Shellac and another soak off gel polish/hybrid, then yes, maybe it could be seen as a good and far article but from the get go, this was not a true test of 2 identical products.

It's articles like this that gives Shellac a bad name......of course Bio Sculpture is going to be better on her thin weak nails, that's exactly what's it's for and that's why it's a gel and Shellac is better for natural nails in good condition and it's a power polish not a gel.

I dislike articles like this that gives out incorrect info like this.

I would disagree, I think they are good products to compare from a clients' perspective. I have to explain the differences between the two systems all the time as many don't understand how and why they differ, I don't think this is a great article but the idea of comparing the two products isn't a bad one. After all, for some clients all they understand is that the two provide long lasting colour.

I don't use biosculpture so I can't speak about it...but we may be a little Shellac-centric. LOL

As someone who uses both, I also think the article is full of inaccuracies. I'm also very "shellac-centric" (love that!) but offer both as they work very well side by side for me. I first read this a few weeks ago and I question the impartiality of the tester!

She also wrote that she was informed you had to use the special wraps to remove the Shellac and not foils. I'm sure I read on here that that is not essential to be in the certified salon list, so why would she be told this?!

She also wrote that she was informed you had to use the special wraps to remove the Shellac and not foils. I'm sure I read on here that that is not essential to be in the certified salon list, so why would she be told this?!

I have used bothe foil and wraps and the foils do the job just as efficiently as the wraps. :biggrin:

Hi Everyone,

First I would like to say thank-you so much for sharing my post. I understand you are all professionals so my post could be aggravating to many of you.

What I want to clear up though is that I did this post because many of my readers were asking for a comparison. I very strongly believe Shellac and Bio Gel are two very different treatments but as my blog is 100% consumer focused, I like to give my readers what they want.

The post was done back in May, and my subsequent posts have reiterated that these are two very different treatments. I am a huge fan of both, but I do get Shellac more often than Bio Gel at the moment as it is slightly cheaper.

I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has about the post. I LOVE beauty but I am just a beauty consumer talking about the treatments and products that enter her life. I don't claim to be a professional, nor an expert, nor anything other than just one independent female sharing her opinions.

Further more, if anyone is interested in being an official expert on both treatments (you would have to have been trained legitimately by the respective companies and are actively using both services for your clients) I would be happy to conduct an interview with you, and post an 'updated' version.

Thanks again all and I hope this has provided some insight into why I did the post.

Kindest,
Kimmi
xox

Thanks Kimmi for popping in and letting us know your thoughts.

I think I understand where you are coming from but can I say from a professionals point of view, it is very damaging to our (already attacked a lot) industry when the wrong information is given no matter who it's for or who it comes from.

There is already enough wrong information out there that damages us to some degree, so I suppose when we see an article that contributes to this on any level, we get a tad upset. It's nothing personal towards you as such.

I think it would be a great idea to do a updated version of the article and correct any wrong info and help to squash the many myths already out there about both products.

I stand by what I said earlier about that I feel comparing these 2 products is not correct because at the end of the day they are not the same and it's articles like this one that contributes to the consumers being confused at to what is what.
it doesn't matter that consumers think they are both just a coloured gel or whatever they think, it's our job to make sure they know the difference and not be lead to believe that they are the same and I'm sorry to say, to me this article portrays they are the same type of product but just different brands of the same thing.

Latest posts

Back