Intimate Waxing Insurance

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rang my insurance company yesterday because of this thread to ask this question and the answer from them was yes you do need a seperate certificate for intimate waxing to be able to perform the treatment or for that matter any procedure you carry out. If your certificate is a general waxing certificate then you must have a seperate one " but it must also state that you are trained in not just intimate waxing but it must list the types i.e. Hollywood, Brazilian etc" for you to be fully insured. They suggested that you also check if the course is accredited and acceptable to your insurance company before spending money on a course.

They said if a claim is made against you the first thing that the broker will ask for is your certificate showing you are insured for that specific treatment. No certificate no insurance. Hope that helps anyone x

I rang my insurance company yesterday because of this thread to ask this question and the answer from them was yes you do need a seperate certificate for intimate waxing to be able to perform the treatment or for that matter any procedure you carry out. If your certificate is a general waxing certificate then you must have a seperate one " but it must also state that you are trained in not just intimate waxing but it must list the types i.e. Hollywood, Brazilian etc" for you to be fully insured. They suggested that you also check if the course is accredited and acceptable to your insurance company before spending money on a course.

They said if a claim is made against you the first thing that the broker will ask for is your certificate showing you are insured for that specific treatment. No certificate no insurance. Hope that helps anyone x

I'm glad you were able to clarify this, hopefully everyone else will check with their insurance also and if necessary attend a fully accredited training course to make sure their policy covers this treatment. x

As a trainer, it's my experience that just because a person has been waxing for years, it doesn't always make them any better than a person who has been waxing for a short time. Some of my best students have been new to the business.

As far as courses being accredited, there are many many accredited courses out there where the training is sub standard, despite having to meet a certain criteria to have a course accredited. So what's the answer? My courses are accredited by BABTAC but does it make me a better trainer?

I could write a book of horror stories that I've heard from clients about bad experiences that they've head where their labia/scrotum has been ripped and they've been left scarred, and traumatised.

Even worse are the salon owners who insist that their staff do Brazilians/Hollywoods in 15 minutes when they haven't got a clue what they're doing. Then the poor therapist ends up wanting to give up beauty because it's knocked their confidence.

Last edited:
As far as courses being accredited, there are many many accredited courses out there where the training is sub standard, despite having to meet a certain criteria to have a course accredited.

Ain't that the truth!
When i did my waxing course, i was in and out in 2 and a half hours :eek:
I checked to make sure it was accredited as well and it was accredited by the beauty guild so i thought it would be good.
The receptionist was dragged in to be the model. I watched her do half a leg and then i did the front half of the other leg. I did one strip on her underarm. She then did her lip. The receptionist didn't need her eyebrows doing so we didn't do that. The trainer then let me do one strip on her bikini as it didn't really need doing. And that was it!
I had to do 8 case studies and was then supposed to go back and do a demo. By the time i had done my case studies she had moved salon, so she told me to post my case studies to her.
She never saw me wax, she didn't know if i was competent or not and yet she passed me and then i was qualified and insured to work on the public :eek:Quite shocking really!

Just goes to show you that nothing good can come out of one day courses most of the time!

Just goes to show you that nothing good can come out of one day courses most of the time!

Unless it's my course!:) Seriously, it's the quality of the training that counts, not the quantity. I know that as most of my students have spent 2 to 3 years at college and most say how they weren't really taught to wax that well.

Unless it's my course!:) Seriously, it's the quality of the training that counts, not the quantity. I know that as most of my students have spent 2 to 3 years at college and most say how they weren't really taught to wax that well.

lol of course honey (not from personal experience but other posts stand testimony to that). Quality and quantity though in my opinion, a day only goes so far and there are some people out there who go to pieces when they are on their own and if they don't use their skills they forget them unfortunately. So day courses are not suited to everyone. I don't know how colleges can get away with not teaching adequately, why don't their students complain? That two and a half hour wax course someone went on was laughable!

I love your peachy bum picture!!

I was trying to say in my post (not sure if I was clear enough lol) I think a day course is definately not enough to learn basic waxing from scratch as there is so much to fit in i.e. consultations, contra-indications, health & safety, prep, application, removal, technique, etc etc.

But for an intimate waxing course, if the student is a competent basic waxer and has a good teacher, then I don't see why it can't be done in a day.

I understand that many un-accredited courses are better than accredited ones. In my opinion there needs to be a better system in place as to how the insurance companies decide which courses are acceptable.

Kim, if I was to learn intimate waxing I would definately not start without training. I would be happy to attend one of your courses :)

xxXxx

I was trying to say in my post (not sure if I was clear enough lol) I think a day course is definately not enough to learn basic waxing from scratch as there is so much to fit in i.e. consultations, contra-indications, health & safety, prep, application, removal, technique, etc etc.

But for an intimate waxing course, if the student is a competent basic waxer and has a good teacher, then I don't see why it can't be done in a day.

I understand that many un-accredited courses are better than accredited ones. In my opinion there needs to be a better system in place as to how the insurance companies decide which courses are acceptable.

Kim, if I was to learn intimate waxing I would definately not start without training. I would be happy to attend one of your courses :)

xxXxx

Bless you and I'd be happy to have you.

I do get what you're saying. I suppose the point I'm trying to make is this.........Of course in an ideal world, students would spend weeks and weeks waxing under the close supervision of their tutor and have real bodies to wax.

The reality is that more often than not, students are left to wax without supervision, so mistakes are not picked up.

So a day of close supervision is worth much more than a year of minimal supervision.

Also, the way that I teach Intimate waxing with hot wax is very extreme and so far removed from general waxing with strip wax that just because a person is good at one, doesn't mean that they'll be good at the other. It's a bit like an electrician being expected to plumb in a bath. They are miles apart in skill and technique. x

I trained with Kim several months ago (Hi Kim, I was pregnant at the time - had a little boy in June:)) anyway, I was completely new to waxing but after two days intense training, I was armed with enough knowledge to do basic & intimate female waxing. Obviousley I have practiced what I learned and researched as much to do with waxing as I can before I let myself loose on the public as I want my paying customers to come back! My point is, the quality of Kims training, her enthusiasm & persistance set me in good stead, the only benefit for a longer course would purely have been to gain experience, which I can do in my own time. Kim expressed that if there was ever anything I was unsure about she is only a phone call away. I am also 100% certain that if I hadnt shown enough competence that Kim would not have issued me with a certificate.
Anyway I have rambled on & forgotton what the thread is about now!

Elaine

LOL.....What's even more worrying is that I've only just noticed that I started the blooming thread. So basically......I've been talking to myself as usual :)

A therapist I know was sued for 'supposedly' causing client to experience thrush after an intimate wax session :eek: I know the therapist well and she uses a completely fresh-wax system being ultra hygienic in her wax procedures ... what next? someone will probably get sued for causing a pregnancy :irked:

I do understand this. But many therapists who are experienced waxers desire a certificate from an accredited trainer purely for their insurance. I am waiting for clarification from my insurers as to whether this is necessary or not. It's not that I doubt you, I would just like to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.

I do not have a copy of Habia's guidelines, I shall seek them out, but I am under the impression that their guidelines do recommend accredited training and appropriate certificate.
Going back to original thread ... I have been led to believe the following

A Traditional or Modest Bikini removes hair beyond a traditional pair of panties (STYLE)

A Brazilian Bikini removes from underneath to the edge of the labia fold plus between the butt cheeks (STYLE)

A Honeymoon Bikini removes the entire hair growth from underneath including labia folds (hair is not normally found 'inside' the labia) plus between butt cheeks (STYLE)

Hair on the pubic mound/pubic bone can be left in place, removed completely or shaped into a DESIGN

A Hollywood/DESIGN & Brazilian/STYLE leaves no hair on the pubic mound and almost all the hair (underneath and beyond) is removed ... apart from upon labia folds

A Landing Strip/DESIGN & Honeymoon/STYLE leaves just a 1" width strip of modesty hair on pubic mound whilst the entire growth from underneath and beyond is waxed away

3styles9designs.htm

Latest posts

Back