Is hygiene important or am I being overly critical?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJK

Addicted to pilates geek
Reaction score
This is my first post, so please be gentle with me and I apologise if I've posted this is the wrong forum.

I am absolutely sick to the back teeth of poor hygiene standards in our industry. I am trained in hair, beauty and nails, but offer a limited range of beauty treatments and nail services. However, what I do, I do to the best of my ability, and I'm meticulous. I'm especially carefully about cleanliness. For instance: towels are washed after every use, at 60 degrees; tools are sterilised; I don't double-dip when waxing; I wash my hands regularly, and use gloves when appropriate.

I go to salons for treatments for myself because it isn't as much fun to do it yourself, it's good CPD, and I'm supporting my industry. Unfortunately, I don't want to be treated by somebody whose standards aren't up to mine. I don't want my brazilian done by somebody double-dipping; I don't want my hair brushed during a blow-dry with a hair brush full of other clients' hair; I don't want my hair dried with a towel that I know has only been hung out to air, rather than washed properly after the last client.

These aren't isolated incidents and I'm fed up with it. I've been through three hair salons in the last six months, and four beauty salons. Am I being too particular? - you can be honest.

Well at least you and your clients know that localy you stand apart from others with your good hygiene habbits :D

No, you're not; good for you for having high standards!!!

It drives me up the wall when I go to pamper evenings at schools and similar and have to stand next to other people doing BNS or IHM taster sessions and they don't do a consultation, they don't use any sanitizing lotion on their hands between clients, they stand there chewing their nails, they use the same towel against everyone's hair all night and what drives me completely and utterly insane is that NO ONE SEEMS TO NOTICE!!!! Yuk!!

I know I have high standards but aren't we all supposed to have if we're in this business and taking people's money?

Stick to your guns, be particular and have a clean conscience as well as a clean salon...

You're Hired!

I can't agree more SJK. I cringe when I walk into my barbers and see the last 5 customer's hair all over the floor - although he does use Clippercide and new razors!

All my chaps get a fresh towel to rest their heads on, a fresh towel to cover themselves over with if necessary, a clean couch cover and couch roll.

The pots and trolley are cleaned between each customer and there's never a spat that dips twice. Any wax spills are cleaned off the floor every time too!

I put myself in the customer's view and ask "what hygeine would I like to see?" and then find myself cleaning the greasy paw prints off the glass front door quite regularly! :)

Keep going with your high standards! That makes at least two of us!!

I've seen stuff in our industry that is appalling! I agree...stick to your guns and your high standards.

I am meticulous, too. My BFF teases me about it but would never go to anyone else. She knows when she comes to me, everything is sterilized/sanitized and she is in good hands. :)

Good on you for bringing this up! Ive recently been thinking of doing a course on eyelash extensions, so thought Id go an do some research, had them done at "the best" salon in my area, by the actual owner, who happens to own the 2 most popular Salons in my town, and she stunk of booze!! I was disgusted! And she continued to boast about what a great night she had had the night before!
I was really mad,but I do give a secret snigger when i come across these things,as after-all, she is a top competitor of mine,and Im happy in the knowledge that my standards are far higher than hers! tee hee : )
xx

Good hygene is just basic standards in this industry and it appals me how few salons seem to think so, so good on you, it will soon set you apart from your competitors and help the industry :) :) :) xx

I don't think you are being to critical. Hygiene is very important.

The one that REALLY grosses me out is the pedicure chairs at the chain salons. They "swish" a dirty blue cloth around the footspa after the client is done. No disinfectant. No hot water. Nothing. Ewww.

I admire you for voting with your feet.

Poor standards in salon hygiene drags the reputation of the industry down.

It's time more people thought long and hard about this CRITICAL area in salon management. GOOD SALON HYGIENE IS ESSENTIAL - NOT OPTIONAL.

Ohh your so right as a mobile hairdresser you cant imagine how often i hear "oh your the first person to give me a skin test" " oh a floor covering thats new" "Oh a cover to protect my chair never seen one of those before" the list goes on and on and on!!!!
I just think that it sorts the wheat out form the chaff and people will notice the difference and if they dont so what io do it all for my own peace of mind.:D

I very particular about hygiene....! It should be standard practice in all salons but I know it isn't! :mad: So I know How you feel I'm just the same, At least we have high standards & your clients will also notice these things, as soon as standards slip they go else-where!

This is my first post, so please be gentle with me and I apologise if I've posted this is the wrong forum.

I am absolutely sick to the back teeth of poor hygiene standards in our industry. I am trained in hair, beauty and nails, but offer a limited range of beauty treatments and nail services. However, what I do, I do to the best of my ability, and I'm meticulous. I'm especially carefully about cleanliness. For instance: towels are washed after every use, at 60 degrees; tools are sterilised; I don't double-dip when waxing; I wash my hands regularly, and use gloves when appropriate.

I go to salons for treatments for myself because it isn't as much fun to do it yourself, it's good CPD, and I'm supporting my industry. Unfortunately, I don't want to be treated by somebody whose standards aren't up to mine. I don't want my brazilian done by somebody double-dipping; I don't want my hair brushed during a blow-dry with a hair brush full of other clients' hair; I don't want my hair dried with a towel that I know has only been hung out to air, rather than washed properly after the last client.

These aren't isolated incidents and I'm fed up with it. I've been through three hair salons in the last six months, and four beauty salons. Am I being too particular? - you can be honest.

I hear ya. Most salons have some practices like that. You either complain or vote with your feet and find somewhere nicer to spend your money.

I switched to Easydry disposale towels about a year ago because I found doing laundry to the highest standards was very time consuming and expensive (cost of detergent, water, electricity and replacing the tatty cotton towels).

My clients love the towels because they know that they get their own personal towel and they are 100% clean and fresh each time. You should check them out www.easydry.co.uk

I think it gives me an advantage over other salons in the area because it's more hygienic and innovative!

Latest posts

Back