Is it nasty?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomme

Reaction score
There's a salon by me open 3/4 days a week, and never later than 3pm, the owner is around 65 ish, and iv heard rumours she is wanting to retire.

Ok, now the bit that may seem nasty. Should I offer to rent a chair off her if she will let me stay open later some evenings, so that I get to know the regulars and when she decides to retire I could offer to pay her full rental or buy it off her as hopefully I will have a good in house client base and take over her clients when she goes.

Is it nasty to want to whip the business from underneath her? Xoxo

No just smart! Lol.
It's not like you are going to push her into retirement. I'm sure the owner will retire when they are ready anyway. :)

No just smart! Lol.
It's not like you are going to push her into retirement. I'm sure the owner will retire when they are ready anyway. :)

I agree! Good for you for having forward thinking xx

It's not nasty, it's probably mutually beneficial..then she'll not have to have the hastle of finding a purchaser. Go for it, it sounds like a great idea.x

go for it and quick , you never know who else is thinking along the same lines as you

Go for it she may be happy to get the extra income ;)

I would go for it. It could work in your favour and she might be glad someone is interested in her business as she is maybe getting to the age where she is wanting it taken off her hands :) x

Spoke to a friend of mine who runs a beauty salon who said the lady's husband mentioned she was wanting to retire. Think I will pop in some day or send her a letter and portfolio (best get doing a load of sets to show I can do them although rarely). Atleast I don't feel as bad now, felt like I was robbing her of her life for a bit xoxo

good luck. i hope it works out well for you

Thanks, bloomin love this site, everyone's soo eager to help! So next is, if renting a chair, and being mobile, I'd like to keep my current name, would it look strange for another "brand" inside a salon? Xoxo

Thanks, bloomin love this site, everyone's soo eager to help! So next is, if renting a chair, and being mobile, I'd like to keep my current name, would it look strange for another "brand" inside a salon? Xoxo
Don't know but you should definitely wear your rubber hot pants! ;-)

Sounds like you have a smart head for business - good luck.

I do think you should be straight with her though and explain to her what you are thinking (i'm sure you were going to be anyway but just sayin' :) )

I am a mature therapist (well, 45 lol) with a mature clientele (50s). It would pxxx me right off if i thought someone was plotting behind my back to pull my business out from under me, retirement or not. I would be ruthless and scarey to protect myself!

However, if a younger therapist in your situation was honest with me, i'd really want to help them and see their business do well, and ensure a smooth transition.

Keep us posted - exciting :D

You need to consider that she may be giving the salon to a family member, a friend or even someone who works for her. If she sells she will want the best price she can get, and it also depends who the landlord wants to give the lease to if she retires when the lease is up. Or she may just put a manager in and keep it. I wouldnt make any assumptions about the situation.

xx

It's a small "local" salon, with just the one person (owner) working there, with her only being open mornings I thought it would be a good opportunity for us to work together for me to learn the more traditional way of doing things, hopefully I will get more work, and she will be earning more by getting rent from me. Then after a bit, when she knows she can trust me, or mentions retiremenbt I would say I would like to take over by renting it off her or buying it off her, not by waiting until retirement day to say ok, I'm taking your clients and business now bugger off home.

If it was what she wanted I'd still let her come in a couple of days a week to work as I know it must be scary going from working and earning to doing no work and finding things to fill ur day. And I wouldn't want her to feel useless or miss out on seeing a business she began and nurtured altering and progressing with a younger style, but I would obviously listen to her ideas, as she's been able to live off a few mornings a week, do she clearly has a good business plan xoxo

I think she would be lucky to get you; you're very thoughtful.
Think of yourself as well though. Make sure the type of salon it is now is capable of changing into what you want it to be.

Latest posts

Back