Is it normal for clients to want to see you outside of work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeycure

Reaction score
I had this this client for the first time as a gel client. She had come in before for pedicures with another girl, and I remember talking to her a bit (just a bit, it took me a while to recognize her!). She came in for her gel appointment, and she seemed really concerned about the gel prices.

It took her ages to pick a design (mostly because of the price), and then once I was done she even seemed to have a problem with her design even though I asked her a million times before finishing up! Anyways, during that whole appointment she kept insisting on taking me out to dinner at her husband's restaurant.

In the end, she said she had no cash so she couldn't tip me, and she said "Oh it's alright I'm gonna take you out to dinner anyways!"

Uhhh what??? I never even said yes. Why does she wanna take me out to dinner so bad?
Is this like where she gets me free food and I do her nails for free kinda thing? Do I look hungry? Or is she just being nice?

Something seems weird about this. I mean, I've been invited to social engagements by clients before, and I think it's okay. But I don't know, she can't tip you, but will take you out to dinner? Odd...

Just saw that it's her husbands restaurant... she's definately looking to barter. Maybe you can swap gift certificates, they'd make good gifts. We've done this where I work with local restaurants before. I'll have their menu on hand. I'm in a resort town, so people always want to know where to go out to eat.

Valentines Day, this year, I swaped GC's with a restaurant and then sold them back to clients as a couples package, two massages and dinner for two. Went over really well.

But then again, maybe you're not interested.

Ohhh maybe you're right

Well, I'm only part time and I just work there. I don't have any authority to do that sort of thing. She knows that too since I already told her... o_O Strange woman

Spunds a little 'pushy' to me Jenny!! Maybe she fancies you ?? :D

I always try to keep business separate form friends ... there is always the odd exception where a client does become a genuine friend but better not to get too 'close' I think.

im with geeg i can understand that on some occasions there will be clients/people that you just click with and therefore they become friends but otherwise i would keep things seperate.
it doesnt sound as though you just "clicked" with her so she probably has an ulterior motive!

i agree with geeg defo sounds like she fancies you!!!

Spunds a little 'pushy' to me Jenny!! Maybe she fancies you ?? :D

Thats what I was thinking :D
just sounds a little fishy.. especially if she's aware that you just work there...

Last edited by a moderator:
Or is she just being nice?

Nope, she's using you.
She doesn't want to pay for the service so she's hoping to do a trade.

You suspicious lot you!! :twisted: Ha! I think she genuinely likes you, probably thinking you really are interested in her when you are just making polite chat! Let her down gently lol!!

Nope, she's using you.
She doesn't want to pay for the service so she's hoping to do a trade.
Yeah I agree with this as I have had it before, why did she not come straight out with it lol sounds like a wierdo to me ha ha :Dx

Yeah, I'm sure she was looking for a trade. She called today wanting to know if I could make her nails more sparklier. I told her it would be an extra charge, and she lost interest and said she'd call back next time.

Not so sly :/

Latest posts

Back