Is it OK to Polish Side to Side Instead of Up and Down?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sophiegees

Reaction score
Hello

I am thinking this may be a complete no no. But to get the cuticle curve when polishing I can do it beautifully side to side but not the traditional up and down.

So I do a stoke up the middle of the nail, then the curve at the bottom across and then everthing else up as normal.

Is this a really bad thing to do???

xx

I'm not a nail expert but in my opinion if the end result is a beautifully polished nail, what difference does it make. Sounds tricky though, sure I'd make a big mess trying it that way!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

No, it's not wrong.

I sweep the curve from the middle to the side and then down to the free edge ,... flick across the free edge to the middle to seal. Then I do the same thing for the othern side. Finally finish from north to south to complete.

Last edited:
Ha ha ha, if that's the way you can get the lovely cuticle shape you have been so desperate for then what does it matter!

Good girl, you found your own way.

Jacqui xx

We all have our own special tricks and tips. Whatever works best for you, do it.

Yes I sweep across as well, gives a nice clean curve! :green:

I agree with the others. . . Whatever works for you. . I trained in nails 18 yrs or so ago and then it was considered the best way was to paint the nail in 3 moves. The middle from cuticle to free edge and then sweep the brush from cuticle to sidewall and then finish at free edge, doing the other side with next stroke. I've seen a tonne of other ways to do it and as long as the finished product is a beautifully even covered nail then it s good job done in my opinion x

That is how I paint some toes! Lol just works better that way some times

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Interesting take!

Never actually considered trying it that way. Especially with some polish lines that have those dang tiny brushes! Agh.

I would like to thank everyone for their replies and encouragement. I went through a stage during the last couple of days that made me wonder if I was cut out for this - Im 51 and have never had many practical skills - never considered myself to have a 'steady' hand.

But I think Ive come out the other side and I will do this - and with a side to side cuticle curve if necesary! I did Shellac on a friend yesterday and it wasn't too bad - was very nervous, but it did me good to practice on a real person instead of old faithful (the nail trainer!)

Thank you all so much.I have a long way to go but am determined to get there!

xx

Latest posts

Back