Is it possible to achieve vibrant red on bleached hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash Tan

Reaction score
I have recently had a colour change from bleached blonde to red. I know red is notoriously hard to maintain on any base colour but am i fighting a losing battle with fading on bleached hair?

I don't want to keep running permanent colour through the ends for the risk of over processing but does anyone have any solutions as to how best keep the colour looking vibrant and not wishy washy and faded? I've trained in hairdressing many years ago but don't do colour myself anymore so would appreciate some tips?

I have my colour done regularly at my friend's salon but she also doesn't want to pull permanent colour through the ends each time i have my roots done every 4 weeks. Last time we tried a vegetable colour which didn't give me any colour at all plus i ended up with tri-tone hair (new regrowth, regrowth with red that took from colour change then bleached faded ends)

This is the colour i'd like but not sure if its possible with my hair as it is right now.
jugu2a6a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You only need to use a semi-perm in bleached hair as the hair will literally soak up the red. You can't get away from fading unfort but you can keep topping up the colour with the semi perm,Try the xxl red x

The reason your hair is fading so much is because you used permanent color when you went red. A Demi/deposit only color should have been used after filling with red pre pigment. You can try using Demi for your next touch up, but most likely you've already done too much damage. Get some red depositing after care. Davines has a great shampoo and conditioner for reds from the Alchemy line.

You only need to use a semi-perm in bleached hair as the hair will literally soak up the red. You can't get away from fading unfort but you can keep topping up the colour with the semi perm,Try the xxl red x

XXL red as in the box colour?!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's defiantly a permanent on the regrowth and semi on the ends.

Can we please remember that it is in the site rules that we don't recommend Over The Counter products in these forums.

Here is the rule just to refresh your memories...

Though shall not give pseudo-professional advice
In the forums where you are not a professional (i.e. the Hair Geek forum if you are not a professional hair messer) you may not give advice. This is a forum for professionals and the only way to keep it that way is to make sure that you are very careful in your comments that you make in forums where you hold no qualifications. It is fine to chime in with opinion as long as it does not lead readers to construe that the information you have given is a professional recommendation. On that note, please do NOT recommend OTC (Over the counter) products and services. These are not professional.

XXL red as in the box colour?!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

No, please of NOT put that on your hair! It's full of everything that works against the grain of our trade,

Latest posts

Back