Is it possible to work voluntarily as a Beauty Therapist?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olive

Reaction score
Is it?
I have been out of the industry for 12 years, does anyone know if it is possible to offer my services voluntarily? Thank you very much for any replies. :)
Emma

Offer which services and to whom?

I volunteer at a hospice as a beauty therapist. There's quite a few of us where I am. Try hospices and hospitals in your area. Send them an email or give them a phone.
I started volunteering as I didn't have any experience in the industry. It's built up my confidence, I've met great people and it's nice to know you are making a bit of a difference in somebody's life.

That's a brill idea I have the Ptlls teaching qualification and I would love to that free in a college. I have also though if I won the lottery I would do permanent make up for cancer patients (eyebrows and Areola) in my spare time. Good luck

Hi,

I work for my local volunteer centre. If you check out the 'Do It' website Do-it - Volunteering made easy it should give you a rough idea of what you can do. This isnt always as up to date, as opportunites are added all the time. Google volunteering in your local area and pop in to you local centre, charities/hospices etc are always crying out for people generous to donate their time and they will all be listed on the data base. Good luck x

Lovely idea.
Just a note; you will still need insurance, I think.

Offer which services and to whom?

Hi there JenBella. All beauty related work; from reception duties, beauty treatments,(for example: waxing, massage, facials), to management or marketing. I hadn't really thought about who for in particular, anyone I guess!

Thanks for your replies everyone.:)

I volunteer 1 day a week at a holistic salon, just for experience, so yes it is possible, I have my own insurance too

Hi there JenBella. All beauty related work; from reception duties, beauty treatments,(for example: waxing, massage, facials), to management or marketing. I hadn't really thought about who for in particular, anyone I guess!

Thanks for your replies everyone.:)

Thanks, sorry my reply sounded a bit curt, didn't mean it to sound that way! It's an area that has been of interest to me in terms of hospitals/retirement homes etc.
The only thing that might be an issue is insurance, although I would assume once you are qualified it shouldn't be a problem. When you say you've been out of the industry for 12 years, perhaps if you've not been doing treatments it might be worth looking into refresher training.

I do two or three days doing massage treatments at Crisis at Christmas each year. It's a London project which gives homeless people a happy Christmas and massage is really popular. Sign-up starts around October each year and it really is wonderful - highly recommended and great if you're not to confident as the guests love it!

Crisis at Christmas · What we do · Crisis

Thanks, sorry my reply sounded a bit curt, didn't mean it to sound that way! It's an area that has been of interest to me in terms of hospitals/retirement homes etc.
The only thing that might be an issue is insurance, although I would assume once you are qualified it shouldn't be a problem. When you say you've been out of the industry for 12 years, perhaps if you've not been doing treatments it might be worth looking into refresher training.

Thank you. A refresher course is a great idea. I wonder-do you know of any? My main interest, or rather the practice I enjoy the most is massage. (I have big strong hands! ;)) I have looked at aromatherapy courses, I think I would have to re-take an anatomy and physiology course first.
I have looked on the do-it.org website but currently there is nothing suitable as far as volunteering goes. My next step is to contact businesses and hospitals direct.

I would love to find someone who would help in my salon voluntarily for more training, it could be mutually beneficial and if the client base increased then it would be great to take that person on.

I would love to find someone who would help in my salon voluntarily for more training, it could be mutually beneficial and if the client base increased then it would be great to take that person on.

:D

It is shame you are so far away.

I did work experience one day a week in a salon for a few months. I believe that it helped me get my employed job because it provided a little bit of a transition between college and work. I wasn't carrying out treatments but at least I was in the right environment.

Latest posts

Back