Is it unprofessional to use guides for French manicure?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
Question as above.

I can do a french manicure freehand but there are just some times where:

a) guides might look that bit better
b) the clients nail shape doesn't lend itself to being easy to work on
c) I get nervous and shakey

I suspect that generally, it might look unprofessional to use nail guides (in which case I guess I've answered my own question lol) but on the other hand, would it really be that bad to use them if it made the finished result look better.

Hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot by asking this.

*Nail guides are those white stickers that you put on the nail...so they're like a removable stencil/guideline to help you do a smile line for a french manicure.

*If I was self employed I would probably use them, thing is though, I want to be employed so I'm thinking in terms of trade tests and generally working for someone else

Hope yas can help :)

Hi there :) there is only really 1 piece of advise I can give you and that is to practise! I think everyone struggles with the french polish at some point but the best way is to sit with a model paint and remove, paint and remove, it will drive you mad but as a trainer this is how I teach my students. You may also find back sweeping works for you. This is when you apply the polish and then dampen a brush (i use a gel brush) with NP remover or scrubfresh etc and wipe back across the smile line to get a crisp even line. Please don't use the guilds 1) I personally think think they look unprofessional and 2) try don't often work! Lol

Also have a look at "dashing diva" I have just purchased this kit and I absolutely love it! It allows you to be able to provide a french polish that will last 2 weeks without chipping etc it's amazing, BUT please please don't use these as an excuse not to mater painting french by hand it's an essential skill for any nail tech IMO ;) hope that helps xx

Ps these are my dashing diva's :) x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1321021864.699454.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1321021864.699454.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 1,035
Can you use Dashing Diva with Shellac?

Yes I believe so :) x

Yes I believe so :) x

Thanks! One more question sorry! :wink2: When using in a normal french manicure can you use a regular top coat and base coat and how would you remove it?

If you buy the dashing diva kit then it comes with a base coat and a top coat and thats what I used (in the picture) ps to remove it you soak in acetone :)

are these dashing diva french mani's only available from s2?? i had an account with them but when i tried to log on the other day it said my email address was not in their database :/

Wow! They are amazing!
x

Awww thank you!

No hun s2 don't sell them anymore so you can buy them from them direct...Just search for dashing diva uk ;) x

Hi there :) there is only really 1 piece of advise I can give you and that is to practise! I think everyone struggles with the french polish at some point but the best way is to sit with a model paint and remove, paint and remove, it will drive you mad but as a trainer this is how I teach my students. You may also find back sweeping works for you. This is when you apply the polish and then dampen a brush (i use a gel brush) with NP remover or scrubfresh etc and wipe back across the smile line to get a crisp even line. Please don't use the guilds 1) I personally think think they look unprofessional and 2) try don't often work! Lol

Also have a look at "dashing diva" I have just purchased this kit and I absolutely love it! It allows you to be able to provide a french polish that will last 2 weeks without chipping etc it's amazing, BUT please please don't use these as an excuse not to mater painting french by hand it's an essential skill for any nail tech IMO ;) hope that helps xx

I agree with chrogers.

I feel that Clients come to us for a Professional Service and in my opinion the Guides are great for the DIYers to do at home.

I would hate my Client to sit there and watch me use Guides and think "I could have done that myself"... it might give her ideas! :wink2::lol:

The more french manicures you do the easier they get. I would not encourage you to use a guide on a client, learn to do it by practising.

My husband had his nails reguarly french manicured when i was practising, (many years ago now!)

Try doing the white tip straight on the base coat, (not over the pink) then you can use an old l&p brush with a drop of polish remover/ scrubfresh/ acetone to carefully tidy up the smile line.

Then if you've removed alot of the base coat you can always apply another coat, then your French pink, then top coat.

ellisons also stock dashing diva xx

I agree with chrogers.

I feel that Clients come to us for a Professional Service and in my opinion the Guides are great for the DIYers to do at home.

I would hate my Client to sit there and watch me use Guides and think "I could have done that myself"... it might give her ideas! :wink2::lol:

The more french manicures you do the easier they get. I would not encourage you to use a guide on a client, learn to do it by practising.

My husband had his nails reguarly french manicured when i was practising, (many years ago now!)

Ditto what's been said.
They come to us, the Professionals, because we are supposed to have the 'professional skills' that they don't. In my honest OPINION (not meant to be offensive, but it is only my opinion) every Professional Nail Tech should be able to do a french freehand. It is a skill that should be mastered.

I'm STILL working at it (mind you, I rarely do frenchs'....). I aim for the day I can do a lovely french like Geeg.
At the moment, my french's are better than NSS and better than my clients can do at home, so they're happy.

I keep practicing and so should you.
You won't master it without doing it. Over and over and over. WITH an audience watching you (because the clients are always watching).

Keep at it, you'll get it.
There are some great tuts on this site for frenchs, in different techniques. Find the one that suits you.

ALSO doing freehand frenchs is the most cost effective way of doing things. You'll have more money in your pocket and less boxes of crap taking room on your shelves (again, just an opinion, sorry folks but I'm not a fan of dashing divas)

<hugs>

I agree with An*Gel.

IMHO, the white polish can make or break a french mani. I use Essie's Marshmallow for my white. It goes on like a dream and is very forgiving. HTH and best of luck! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first started I used Dashing Divas and practiced like mad on models in the meantime. I knew I had cracked the smile line when I started being critical of the DD smile line shape!!:wink2:

TBH I used to get customers saying they came off easy too but now I have ditched the Divas and do freehand I never have problems!!

Good luck and practice practice practice - it does click! :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back