Is 'Respect for your Elders' dead ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catsaremad

Reaction score
Do you remember when your parents would say to you ‘ you should respect your elders’ and we would always roll our eyes and go yes mom!

Well I daresay that the meaning of this phrase has changed over time but essentially it can be defined thusly:

‘To repect those that exhibit and proclaim knowledge derived from experience that far supercedes your own’

So my question is, is respect for our elders as defined above ……………..dead.

Comments and thoughts please, please do keep them constructive.............
(see Geek commandment 1 2 and 5 !!!!):)

This is a good question - In the olden days when I had a dinosaur as a pet (as my children think) we called our bosses by their proper names - Mr so and so etc. Teachers were feared and we wore our school uniform properly - OMG dont get me started LOL.

Life has become too familiar - and what do they say familiarity breeds contempt.

There has to be a happy medium - in the olden days, it may have been too strict, but nowadays it is way too lax.

I believe it comes from school - the youngsters today get away with too much - bring back the birch I say! There is no respect and discipline at school and this progresses through life.

Although there is a new scheme coming through schools now called values education where they are bringing back old fashioned values like respect, kindness, etc. etc - why they were allowed to go away in the first place is beyond me.

This is a good question - In the olden days when I had a dinosaur as a pet (as my children think) we called our bosses by their proper names - Mr so and so etc. Teachers were feared and we wore our school uniform properly - OMG dont get me started LOL.

Life has become too familiar - and what do they say familiarity breeds contempt.

There has to be a happy medium - in the olden days, it may have been too strict, but nowadays it is way too lax.

I believe it comes from school - the youngsters today get away with too much - bring back the birch I say! There is no respect and discipline at school and this progresses through life.

Although there is a new scheme coming through schools now called values education where they are bringing back old fashioned values like respect, kindness, etc. etc - why they were allowed to go away in the first place is beyond me.

I agree with you on this, however, RESPECT is a two way thing in my eyes, I always give up my seat and offer my place to the elderly, let them que jump and I open doors for them too and I say please and thank you, but I have noticed the elderly not acknowledging my good deeds and I find it really rude, I had a gentleman slam the door in my face without an apology and was pushed out of the way in a supermarket by a old lady and was blantently told by her that I needed to lose weight so then I wouldn't hog the aisle:eek: I said nothing I just smiled at her but inside I was fuming.

I am educating my daughter to respect others and treat people how she would like to be treated, hopefully this will encourage her friends t odo the same, I do think that the schools need to really push this and also at home.

Sue x

I wouldn't say it is dead but there is a lot fewer examples of it than when I was young.....................which is a shame now I am one of the elders:)

I agree with you on this, however, RESPECT is a two way thing in my eyes, I always give up my seat and offer my place to the elderly, let them que jump and I open doors for them too and I say please and thank you, but I have noticed the elderly not acknowledging my good deeds and I find it really rude, I had a gentleman slam the door in my face without an apology and was pushed out of the way in a supermarket by a old lady and was blantently told by her that I needed to lose weight so then I wouldn't hog the aisle:eek: I said nothing I just smiled at her but inside I was fuming.

I am educating my daughter to respect others and treat people how she would like to be treated, hopefully this will encourage her friends t odo the same, I do think that the schools need to really push this and also at home.

Sue x

Have to agree with you, it is a 2 way thing!! My cousins son (aged 15) gave up his seat for an elderly lady and she didn't thank him, just said and so you should young man :mad:

I have to admit if I hold a door open for someone or let someone pass, be it young or old and they don't say thank you, I say in a loud voice "oh that's ok, I don't mind holding doors open for you" and smile sweetly, more often than not they say thank you lol

Manners cost nothing regardless of age !!

Well I daresay that the meaning of this phrase has changed over time but essentially it can be defined thusly:

‘To repect those that exhibit and proclaim knowledge derived from experience that far supercedes your own’

(see Geek commandment 1 2 and 5 !!!!):)[/QUOTE]

I can see that this may become an ear bashing about the youth of today !!!! Yes I agree that manners can be perceieved as being much more lax, and also that a lot of 'elderly' people can be very grumpy and lacking in manners themselves lol

However, i would like you to look at this definition and view it through your eyes as a professional therapist.

I think it should be a 2 way thing but still think that after walking on those feet for 70 odd years...seeing through those eyes...hearing through those ears...they should be given some leyway...even if they do get a little grouchy.

I have had "old" people snap at me sometimes and thought..."charming" but i let them have it cos i might be the same at their age...it wouldn't give me any pleasure to win a point or argument with a elderly person who is maybe just fed up and frustrated with how different society is now from when they where younger.

Basically i think yes, we should show respect.

Respect for ALL and EVERTYHING has flown out the window!

Children are taught in school to call their teachers by their first name.
In my home, they call friends of the family "aunt" or "uncle". ABSOLUTELY NO first names! Others are Mr or Mrs.
I see children sassing their parents & adults all the time.
Running about in the middle of the shopping center like it's a playground, knocking into people etc.
Not behavig properly at the kitchen table... (I even teach my children to 'excuse' themselves from the table and REMOVE their elbows... I teach etiquette).
I see children disrespecting personal property...... in my house, if you can't respect it, you can't have it!

BUT I see adults just as bad. I open the door for myself and my children, and a stranger barges through nearly knocking us over. Do I LOOK like a doorman?? I see grown men & women remaining seated when an elderly or pregnant woman gets onto the bus. I see taxi drivers that don't get out of their car to help with groceries (and they want a tip????)

People in general are lacking respect everywhere.
Firstly, because children just aren't raised the same way. All this new age stuff isnt doing anyone any favors. People are more self absorbed and care less about others. Who helps their elderly neighbor shovel the driveway when it's been a particularly bad storm?

Everything is disposable now, so why care about personal property? Oh well, just buy a new one :rolleyes: instead of taking care of it properly in the first place.

I could ramble for hours on this subject.

The best I can do about this situation, is be respectful myself, teach my children respect and hope that our behaviours and attitudes rub off on someone else.

They say random acts of kindness and smiles are contagious.

Maybe respect can be too.

:hug:

I certainly think there has been a big switch from the days when I was a wee laddie when "kids were to be seen and not heard" to nowadays when they simply take over and do seem to have little respect for their elders...particularly when there in a group when home based teachings from parents seem to simply disappear out of the window..

Even on these boards we see the same thing...im probably one of the ...ahem.."more mature in age group" than the vast majority and just look at the way you lot treat me :eek:....shame on you youngsters :lol::lol::hug:

'To repect those that exhibit and proclaim knowledge derived from experience that far supercedes your own’

Know in this case Collin your age does not come into play !!! even if you were a lot younger, I would still respect and acknowledge that in your profession you have more knowledge and experience than me.

However your are right us youngsters,(do you remember being as young as me lol !) when having a frivoulous non sensical day, chit chatting away do treat you terribly meanly and I for one.............................I'm not afraid to say........................................that yes .................................I am completely............................and utterly..........................................not ashamed lol

Even on these boards we see the same thing...im probably one of the ...ahem.."more mature in age group" than the vast majority and just look at the way you lot treat me :eek:....shame on you youngsters :lol::hug:

Ummmmmmmmmm rather hard to take you seriously with Garfield's A** shaking around in my face

LOL:lol:

'To repect those that exhibit and proclaim knowledge derived from experience that far supercedes your own’

Know in this case Collin your age does not come into play !!! even if you were a lot younger, I would still respect and acknowledge that in your profession you have more knowledge and experience than me.

I dont know but something in me waterworks is telling me your after something here ....come on spit it out LOL :lol::lol:

Ummmmmmmmmm rather hard to take you seriously with Garfield's A** shaking around in my face

LOL:lol:

yep there ya go ...this just typifies you youngsters of today's attitude towards your elder and wiser folk LOL :eek::lol::lol::hug:

I dont know but something in me waterworks is telling me your after something here ....come on spit it out LOL :lol::lol:

Lol well thats where you are wrong !!!! Respect where respect is due !!:)

Lol well thats where you are wrong !!!! Respect where respect is due !!:)

dam...in that case thank you :hug::o

you might be small in them shoes but your tall in your heart..thats for dam sure :eek: :lol::hug:

Know dont get blubbing on me lol !!!!
There are several more people in my 'respect where respect is due' list !!! Mr & Mrs Geek, Geeg, Nailzoo, vhunter (i find her very inspirational) izzidoll, divalounge, Tiptop (the best friend a geek can have)........................ So your in good company but lets face it hats off to Britta cause she has to put up with you lol

(see Geek commandment 1 2 and 5 !!!!):)

meaning of phrase
well i know one person who is in her 70s, who has lead a very very sheltered life, so in my personal view, I think I am far more experienced in things in life.

But on another note, I think it is about respect generally and of course good manners :) my parents bought me up as best as they could, but I'm certainly not perfect :lol:

I think it should be a 2 way thing but still think that after walking on those feet for 70 odd years...seeing through those eyes...hearing through those ears...they should be given some leyway...even if they do get a little grouchy.

I have had "old" people snap at me sometimes and thought..."charming" but i let them have it cos i might be the same at their age...it wouldn't give me any pleasure to win a point or argument with a elderly person who is maybe just fed up and frustrated with how different society is now from when they where younger.

Basically i think yes, we should show respect.

I agree with Angie. Let them get grumpy if they want to. You can choose to ignore it and walk away without being nasty. Afterall, we wouldn't have this wonderful world we live in today if our ancestors didn't work hard to give it to us.

Why does it always have to be a 2 way thing anyway....? If you do something for someone, why do you HAVE to expect something back or the same in return..? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of 'giving'....?

Is it that hard for us to do what we need to do, behave how we should, give when we can without any expectations at all..?

Is it not possible to just do it for our own integrity....?

Last edited:
Know dont get blubbing on me lol !!!!
There are several more people in my 'respect where respect is due' list !!! Mr & Mrs Geek, Geeg, Nailzoo, vhunter (i find her very inspirational) izzidoll, divalounge, Tiptop (the best friend a geek can have)........................ So your in good company but lets face it hats off to Britta cause she has to put up with you lol

That is the most humbling, and sweetest thing anyone has said to me in a while.
OMG, you trying to make me cry???????????:cry:

WOW :eek:
To be listed in the company of Mr & Mrs Geek, Geeg etc....
They are the ones that "I" look up to!
that is high praise indeed and I'm deeply flattered

:hug::hug:

Latest posts

Back