Self Promotion ... ever tried it??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well try not to be so critical of your work that you NEVER feel you are good enough. It is good to strive for perfection but I have known many nail techs who have held themselves back for years thinking they are not good enough when in fact hey are much better than average.

We all have off days.

None of us does perfect nails ALL of the time.

But if you are nearly always happy with what you have produced, you can start tooting your own horn!!
Totally agree, in the salon, we're not doing competition perfect nails...regardless of smile lines or 'fake' look, we're striving to achieve the best nails with the greatest consistency in a commercially acceptable time......you can't get it spot on all of the time.

But if you are nearly always happy with what you have produced, you can start tooting your own horn!!

Rooty toot tooot! Here I come! :cool:

Such a wise woman, Geeg.

You have a great way of making people feel positive about themselves, what would we do with out you!!:hug:

I expect you'd all survive!!

The question is ...

Are your clients happy ... the majority of them (there are always the odd one or to who are never happy ... largely because they treat their nails like rubbish) ...

Most artists are never entirely happy with everything they do but if your clients are happy then that is all that matters.

98% of my clients are very happy with the service I provide........the other 2% were sacked due to them messing me about and costing me money. However I went and gained another 2 clients to replace her!

I think I'm having a bit of a good week!

RESPECT! (That's all we ask of them!)

My clients are always happy apart from one who never is no matter what lol But I am never 100% happy with every set I produce but thats me I strive for prefection which I do with everything I do not just nails :)

This thread came at the perfect time I must say, thanks so much!

I did a set of P&W sculpts today and I don't do nails often at all. I was done in an hour and a half and I must say there was need for improvement for sure, but overall I was smiling. Firstly, at my timing and secondly that they were pretty darned nice!

I have been in business for a 1 1/2 years now and only have one steady enhancement client. Thank God my business is doing well with other services!
So having said that I am doing ok, I know I can be great at doing nails I just don't have the clients to prove it. The only one gel client I do have is on a lot of medications and is a ski jumper, making matters worse!

Do you all think that putting nails on myself would be of an advantage for myself learning wise? I have natural nails and I don't want to wear enhancements but feel that maybe if I did I can be better and faster? What do you all think? I know a year ago when I had acrylics on myself I was faster doing them on myself, go figure!

Thanks for reading,

aj

Great practise working on yourself. it really gives one confidence in the product and how it lasts because YOU know whether or not you abuse them.

The only time I ever break a nail is when I am fiddling otherwise .. never. So I know clients do it.

Just do a nice thin overlay if your own nails are naturally strong. They wont come to any harm at all.

How'd I know that you'd be the first to reply Gigi, thanks so much!!!

How'd I know that you'd be the first to reply Gigi, thanks so much!!!

Probaby because you know I'm one of the few that are daft enough to still be up at nearly midnight on this site.!!!! :eek: :hug: A mods job is never done!!

You're a busy lady Gigi, thanks again!

aj

Well try not to be so critical of your work that you NEVER feel you are good enough. It is good to strive for perfection but I have known many nail techs who have held themselves back for years thinking they are not good enough when in fact hey are much better than average.

We all have off days.

None of us does perfect nails ALL of the time.

I'm going to write this down and put it somewhere I can see it every day as I have totally given up because of this negative self belief. Wise words indeed:!:

I'm going to write this down and put it somewhere I can see it every day as I have totally given up because of this negative self belief. Wise words indeed:!:

Unfortunately Tamm, this personal negativity is something that the individual has to work on themselves.

Try comparing your work to images in the magazines (the nice natural-looking ones not the ones that all look exactly the same because they are trying to emulate competition nails). If your work stacks up well against others (who are out there earning money from it) then for goodness sake go for it.

But remember it does take more than good nails to be successful. See my recent post about this. If you feel you really do not have the right personality for it and are unhappy when you work, then don't do it. If it's not fun for you then leave it alone. Seriously.

Unfortunately Tamm, this personal negativity is something that the individual has to work on themselves.

Try comparing your work to images in the magazines (the nice natural-looking ones not the ones that all look exactly the same because they are trying to emulate competition nails). If your work stacks up well against others (who are out there earning money from it) then for goodness sake go for it.

But remember it does take more than good nails to be successful. See my recent post about this. If you feel you really do not have the right personality for it and are unhappy when you work, then don't do it. If it's not fun for you then leave it alone. Seriously.

Oh Gigi (sigh) you're so right, the frustrating thing is I know I've got the personality, a good organised brain, and if I work on it the practical skills. By nature I'm a determined, keep trying sort of person and I find it very difficult to let something go. I know deep down I can do it and the self belief is a work in progress which is why keeping affirmations about me to keep the mind focused on being positve helps.

Lack of confidence and low self esteem are the things that hold me back and its only me that can get it but its not an overnight job and its very difficult to find. You wouldn't believe the amount of kicking myself up the backside I do to get me off this fence!

You're right if its not fun leave it alone. But I just can't give up on it for some reason. I think it has something to do with needing to be successful at something, be self sufficient and independant, not having to rely on other people to employ me or dictate my actions. It stems from a deeper pain that drives me.

I know I would enjoy it and make a success of it. I'm just a little lost

Believing in yourself and knowing that you are good at what you do is the key here.

It is not a matter of conceit or bragging. Just a quiet confidence that you can do what you say you can do.

I couldn't agree more with this statement.

Why is it that in the UK, it's frowned upon when a person tries to sell themselves? I've worked my butt off the past few months perfecting my skills so that when my website is up and running, I know that what they see is what they get.

I want to make a better life for myself and I feel ready now to do what I want to do. I've recently got myself a PR person and already she's generated so much interest in what I do. So think about where you spend your money.

There's a lot of green eyes around in business so you have to stay focused, set your goals and stick to them, know who your true friends are and ignore the rest.

Also, I truly believe (I know), that what you give out, you get back tenfold. xxx

I am not the most confident of people and I am pretty shy really, but I always knew I had to get out of this and take the lead if I was to succeed.

I find it very hard to say 'Im good at what I do' its just something I struggle with and I am quite envious of anyone who is great at their job, oozes confidence and have great business head.

However, the only thing I guage my skills by is my clientele. They love me!!

I can sell myself but I know if i had the confidence - I would have been even more successful earlier in my nail & beauty career - its taken me an awful long time to get to this stage and wouldnt say Im the best around - I would just say 'Im pretty good'

If I was starting out again - I would work on being more confident and less shy.

Great advice Geeg! Its so hard to learn yourself to be 100 % sure in what you do, fortunately the hope die last

great advice

got me thinking alot

many thanks

Latest posts

Back