Is the Gelish course worth doing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHELSEAHARVEY

Reaction score
Once I have done my manicure course I was going to do the minx & gelish course but quite a few girls have told me not to bother. They felt it was a waste of time & learnt more doing/trying things there self.

As you don't need to be certified to do minx or gelish is the course worth it or a waste of money & those that have done it did you fee it was worth it?

I had been doing Gelish on my friends and family for a while before I started using it on my clients, I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing before I was let loose on them!

I rang my Insurance Co to let them know I was doing Gelish and they wanted to see a certificate to show I was trained in it so I had no choice other than to do the course. I felt I knew how to use the product and was getting great results but did it anyway so I could be insured.

I was amazed at how much I learnt that day, it is really worthwhile and you will be really surprised at the little things you pick up that make all the difference.

My insurance company hasn't asked to see my certificate (Salon Gold) but then again I'm still really pleased I took the course as I did learn quite a bit from it and have definitely had more success with application since then x

I have been a fully qualified nail technician for 8 years, but I still did Gelicure, Gelish and Blixz Wraps training courses. All are well worth the money, you learn loads. I can't imagine any new system coming out and me thinking I can do it without training.

Plus, as Kattyj says, you need them for your insurance and its great to have the certificates for your wall.

Looking on this site, it won't take you long to realise that many of the people having problems with various systems have skipped the training.

Your friends may be right that you can get the basic hang of it with practice. But as Geeg likes to say "Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect".

If you have no experience of 'gel' nails or anything but a normal varnish, then I would do the course, the way it is applied and the initial prep of the nail is very important and it is something you would benefit from being shown, it will also give you so much more confidence and give you the ability to start on clients a lot sooner that you would if you were to just learn by practising on friends x

Gelish nail art design course at Airdrie today was terrific - I learned so much and a lot that I would not have known without doing the course. The basic course I did previously was excellent also and I feel really confident with gelish and can now expand on my skills. Thanks very much to the tutor Fiona - she is great and I would thoroughly recommend the courses.;)

It would definitely give you a better understanding of the product so you don't end up running into problems later and having no idea how to fix it. Wrinkling, shrinking, chipping... So many posts about those issues already! :lol:

Education is never a waste of time, every product I use is backed up by the company course.
Only yesterday a girl said to me that she had her manicure and pedicure certs and felt it was wrong of her insurance company to say she had to do a gelish course before she could sell the service. She had asked her insurance agent, what was so different in application and the agent told her that she needed to know how to cap the product on the free edge.
This girl then asked me, what's capping?:)
I told her to do the course.
There is so much that is different from a nail varnish application, all of it is important and just as importantly, you will have fun.
I try to do a new course every 6 months or so. It inspires me to do more, makes sure I don't ignore bad habits or sloppy work and I always learn something new with in the first half an hour.

It depends very much on your experience and qualifications. If you have your mani/pedi qualification and a gel nails qualification then I see no need at all unless your insurance company are going to get picky. If, however, you have only a mani/pedi certificate you may struggle to understand the gel side of the technology. I have seen plenty of questions on here that are just misunderstandings of the nature of gels and the curing of them, questions such as 'why won't it dry properly' when it is the inhibition layer that need wiping off.

It is important that you get a proper cure for health and safety reasons and essential that you fully understand the products you are using and the implications of using them.

Companies will now tell you that you need to do the course but when these products first came out there was no training for some time available country wide and the companies still happily sold the products to techs with their manicure qualifications. ;)

I too am wiht Slaon Gold and they advised me (on phone and in writing) that I do not need to do the Gelish course to be insured. BUT I still did it anyway and it was worht every penny.

I'd been practising on family and friends for a while before the course, but I just wasnt confident. On the course we were taught how to apply it properly, how to apply tips for broken nails (Ive never ever done anything with tips before, Im 100% natural nail). We were taught how to use and apply structure gel, which isnt applied like gel or polish.., layering, Magneto, removal and its just well worth it to have someone watch you and let you know you're doing it all correctly and to be able to go back ot in the future if you suffer any problems.
since the course, I feel totally confident in Gelish now and dont panic when my phone rings! lol I feel 100% confident in charging full price. Something which I didnt before the course.
xx

Latest posts

Back