Is this illegal?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffydreams

Reaction score
Hi Geeks..just a bit of a rant here really.

There has been a lot of nss salons appearing in my area recently and they always seem to be packed full of people (annoying!)

Anyway, so a chinese buffet restaurant opened and me and my boyfriend decided we would go there for some dinner one night. We walked up to the place and I couldn't believe it.

Joined on to the chinese restaurant in the same building, with only a stood wall separating them was a nns nail bar! There wasn't even a full wall separating them, more like a partition.

In the window there was a sheet of A4 paper blue tacked on saying
"Acrylic White Tip - £15" in felt tip pen!

I walked away in shock, how is that hygienic? The smell must be unbearable and because it's a buffet the food is uncovered, think of all the dust!

Is this illegal, what are peoples views?

They'd better have shed loads of fish on the menu then, if they're gonna have an excuse for the smell of all that MMA - even if they did, it would probably smell years past its sell-by date ;)

as far as I know, the vapours can actually penetrate the food! Maybe someone can clarify for def...?

Firstly how do you know the nail bar is NSS?

Certainly the nail bar should be separate from the food area for the sake of hygiene as well as contamination.

Make a complaint to your local health authority if it is worrying you.

Well some people are being very canny in business and using all available space:eek: :lol: Daytime nails and night time Chinese.

There is some very strict legislation in the food industry (not so in the nail industry). I'm sure this arrangement won't be acceptable with dust being just one of the issues.

That will be an interesting visit for the 'food inspectors'! I bet they haven't come across that one before. If it's any comfort, LA's usually consult Habia about any query about all things 'beauty' and they have several experts who they ask (including me)

Just because their chinese doesnt necessary mean that they are nss, regardless of where they have a table!! Some of the best nail techs ive seen are of asian descent. Be a bit pc!

Just because their Chinese doesnt necessary mean that they are NSS, regardless of where they have a table!! Some of the best nail techs I've seen are of Asian descent. Be a bit pc!

I agree completely! I also see this NSS term bandied about all over the place and it is very disrespectful and usually untrue. I say Discount salons/nail bars because that is what they really are ... course they're busy ... they are cheap and they are quick and some of them are actually very good.

I work as a secretary in a surveyors and I do know that when a commercial premises is doing business it has to have the correct consents depending on what type of business for example the chinese would have to have Class 3 Restaurant consent. I find it hard to beleive that a premises would be allowed two varied consents. But then again I am just the secretary so don't quote me on that.

My lord!!

I cannot believe this! disgusting!!

That really is disgusting! I would definately think that it is illegal. How can you have two different trades in the same building. The premises would have to be described as either a1 or a3 and I didn't think that you could mix these two? Even if for some strange reason that it is legal I think it's awful. I wouldn't want to eat anything from there....gross.

I would concentrate on making your own business the best it can be. There are always going to be people trying to get round the regulations, and there are always going to be people who want a topnotch service. Make sure your business offers this and the clients will follow you. Chances are that the kind of people you want to attract are not going to entertain the idea of having their nails done in a Chinese restaurant!

lol @ Ruth.

I do know they are NSS as they run another shop in the same town who I know are NSS.
I didn't say "because they are asian, they are NSS." I would never do that. There is a fabulous salon ran by asian people that is not NSS locally also.

Thanks Lynne. I definitely don't sell chinese food at the same time as doing L&P lol.
I'm pleased you agree that it isn't up to scratch.

lol @ Ruth.

I do know they are NSS as they run another shop in the same town who I know are NSS.
I didn't say "because they are asian, they are NSS." I would never do that. There is a fabulous salon ran by asian people that is not NSS locally also.

Thanks Lynne. I definitely don't sell Chinese food at the same time as doing L&P lol.
I'm pleased you agree that it isn't up to scratch.

NSS means that the salon uses MMA. Do you know that for a fact they use MMA -- of course not, as you can only know this if you have sent at least 8oz of the liquid they use for testing!! Which I presume and can pretty much guarantee, you have not. Otherwise, they are a nail bar or discount salon and nothing to do with NSS.

We serve coffee, tea, wine amd cava buscuits and chocolates in our salon ... does that make us discusting too??? Do you serve coffee or tea in your salon ... ??? Hmm?

I would say it's disgusting if the buffet food mentioned is all left uncovered with all the dust that they must produce. Tea/coffee and biscuits is different entirely. No one's leaving the biscuits out to be comtaminated with dust. Also if you were a paying customer in the restaurant would you be happy with this quality and standard? x

I guess I'm saying that these two buisnesses are diametrically opposed and probably shouldn't be offered together under the same roof. I wouldn't go and get my hair cut at the fish and chip shop!lol x

You know what? We have no proof whatsoever that there is not a perfectly good partition wall between the two premesis. NONE. We are going on and on about something that we don't even know is true.

I would say it's disgusting if the buffet food mentioned is all left uncovered with all the dust that they must produce. Tea/coffee and biscuits is different entirely. No one's leaving the biscuits out to be comtaminated with dust. Also if you were a paying customer in the restaurant would you be happy with this quality and standard? x

How much dust does a set of nails create and how far does this travel? Can you be sure they are not using adequate ventilation and extraction? I think it is easy to tar discount treatments as bad and yes some maybe but it is not always the case. I sometimes knock off £100 from my treatments if I have a special offer on but on those days I can work 12 plus hours and earn more than I would working a 7 hour day.

There are categories for business premises so maybe this doesn't strictly comply here? I am sure there is someone who will report them to the local council and if it is an issue for them they will sort it out.

I havn't once knocked them for being cheap. It's fair enough that if you would be happy to eat in there, I'm just saying that I wouldn't. I can only reply to what has been stated by the 1st poster and it is true that no one except the original poster would know if they had up a suitable partition. x

And I'm not sure she would, either, unless she knows the building regs inside and out.

I do wish people would just stop bitching and moaning about other people's businesses. It's nobody's business but the owner, the council and the client.

Give it a rest.

Latest posts

Back