Is this the end....?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chameleon

Reaction score
While driving back home from Grayshott hall today(i do call out as and when they need me for massage,reflex,etc) on the radio there was great debate about the end of tv themes,as producers think that the public will switch off or switch over:eek:

They had loads of people calling in recollecting of thier fav tv themes that were "the signature"....it was hilarious,and brought back so many good memories...here are a few i loved dearly

Perry Mason,Crown Court,Taxi,fame,fall guy,Cheers,Murder she wrote,Rhoda,Cheers,Charlie's angels,Howard's way:eek:,Golden Girls,Quantum leap,Avengers,Cagney and lacey,Dynasty,dallas,Knots landing:eek:,Wonder woman....they all had great theme tunes,some more well known than others....but we knew them for the great theme tunes!

Now all you get is rolling credits,that roll so quick you need a phd to read them and the music is....well not so good...

And after writing this and looking at it,i need a life and am a real nerd and geek....but i don't care!:lol:

However the one theme tune i loved was this...well it WAS about the wine business you know
YouTube - Falcon Crest season 3 opening credits

What great theme tunes do you all remember??:hug:

I loved the theme to "The Onedin Line" when I was a kid (think they showed it on the telly in the late 1970s or perhaps early 1980s) - then a few years later I found out it was taken from the ballet "Spartacus" by the Armenian composer Khachaturian and ended up getting the CD of the ballet music :)

i loved crown court.
sometimes if i was off school sick i would see it in the afternoons. i would always try to prolong my illness so i could see 'the verdict' on the last day.
and mostly i did coz my mum was a soft touch like me.:hug:

Another fave from my childhood - the tune to "Where There's Life" that Dr Miriam Stoppard used to present on ITV in the 1980s - "Oxygene Part 4" by Jean-Michel Jarre...

And, from the 1970s, the theme tune to "Don't Ask Me" with Magnus Pike in it - which was a track called "House of the King" by the Dutch band Focus. Although I'm sure I've heard it as the theme tune to a BBC programme in the past couple of years or so - think it was one of those comedy shows on BBC3... it's got that flute riff that people often mistake for Jethro Tull...

And, from the 1970s, the theme tune to "Don't Ask Me" with Magnus Pike in it - which was a track called "House of the King" by the Dutch band Focus. Although I'm sure I've heard it as the theme tune to a BBC programme in the past couple of years or so - think it was one of those comedy shows on BBC3... it's got that flute riff that people often mistake for Jethro Tull...

Actually, I've done a quick Google... it was Saxondale that they used that tune for on the BBC recently.

When I was about 3 or 4, I loved it when my brother played the record of it on his record player, as he had the single of it when it was out in the charts in the mid-1970s. He used to play it specially for me, I seem to remember.

Wow, this thread is bringing back memories!

Like the tune to "International Tennis" in the early 1980s - an instrumental bit from Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds". Didn't know what it was called until some years later, I just loved the tune (especially as it was used in a school play a year or so earlier)...

Then I used to like a lot of the theme tunes to various "Jackanory" series in the early/mid 1980s - where they read excerpts from a given book over a week or so. 3 of those stand out in particular - I'm pretty sure it was Gounod's "Funeral March for a Marionette" that was used for Joan Aiken's "The Wolves of Willoughby Chase" - then it was either one of Malcolm Arnold's "English Dances", or Debussy's orchestration of Satie's "Gymnopedie No. 1" that was used for "The Railway Children" by E. Nesbit. As they had one of those tunes one week, and then the other one for a different story the following week, I seem to remember. Although I didn't know what the respective tunes were called until some years later (although having a father who was very much into classical music helped lol, as the tunes would often crop up on Radio 3 or somewhere in his music collection)...

Then there was a drama on children's telly on BBC1 back in the early 1980s called "A Little Silver Trumpet" (or something like that), where the theme tune was the Sicilienne from Faure's incidental music to "Pelleas et Melisande".

Surely an all time classic theme song has to be Only Fools And Horses!

Brilliant Thread....so many good memories!
Here is my fave and I bet a lot of you think you won't know it, but thanks to Chris Evans using it a lot on the radio I bet you do!
The theme from Man in a suitcase a detective programme from the 60's.
I love it so much it is the ringtone on my phone!!

YouTube - Man In A Suitcase Theme

i loved crown court.
sometimes if i was off school sick i would see it in the afternoons. i would always try to prolong my illness so i could see 'the verdict' on the last day.
and mostly i did coz my mum was a soft touch like me.:hug:
So did i....:eek::lol:

This one id for you Susan,the theme was synonymous,i loved the fact they used real people on the jury,even though it was fictitous....they have just bought out the volumes of which i am collecting,i loved it!:hug:
YouTube - Tv Theme Crown Court

My favourite shows from when I was little sitting with my gran were definitely Cheers and Golden Girls - I love the theme tune from Cheers :D

The only other theme tune I like is Prisoner Cell block H!!!

My favourite shows from when I was little sitting with my gran were definitely Cheers and Golden Girls - I love the theme tune from Cheers :D

The only other theme tune I like is Prisoner Cell block H!!!
....ahhh another PCBH fan:eek::hug:

Gritty drama,brill actors,great storylines....as Lizzie birdsworth said..."ooh well bug##r me gently:eek::lol:

It ran from 1979-86 and then the UK bought it over,and i loved watching this after news at ten,lol:lol:

Since then i own all 692 episodes,and am proud to be a member of PCBH fan club!!
YouTube - Prisoner Cell Block H: Guitar Theme

You used to give me rosessssssssssss!!!!

I wasn't born until 1980 so I was never deemed "old" enough to watch it first time around :( They reran it at 6am in the morning though so I used to record it or sit up until silly oclock watching it by myself hehe

Latest posts

Back