IStock - How does it work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claireybearyowen

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am in the midst of re-branding and the fabulous Carl @ Verve has taken up the challenge of helping me !! UH-OH he might regret it .

But, in the meantime I have found Istock and like a few of the images on there to use in leaflets and on a website eventually.

But, how does it work?? How many credits should I start with ( I have gone through and made a list of the ones I like and a little tally of the credits), how many times can I use the images I have purchased, are they good for once only. Or, once you have bought them, are they yours to use as many times as you like??

I have tried to search this but can't find an appropriate answer.

Ta my luvlies :)

Claire xx

Tbh, you dont want to overdo you're website with photos

If you're having a gallery, then the images should be a treatments you have carried out, and not istock ones, as this does not show you own work

You really want to buy med-high res images, and then reduce as if you need to enlarge in the future, buying xsmall/small images you will find them very pixelated if you do enlarge.

We're looking to use istock and apart from the gallery, we were looking at around 8/10 max but even then, thats gonna cost between £78-£100 for the medium size, if I have read it write. A smaller size would cost around £50-£80

as far as I know, you can't even "borrow" images from friend who previously has purchased them you would need to buy them youself.

Now, I'm not an expert on istock/getty etc, but i'm sure someone could advise.

I think it was the lovely carl who posted something on here recently to say that there would be a real clamp down on people using images on their site.

I have bought a few images for use on my site. The ones I bought can be used as many times as you like on your site and you can also use them on advertising or publicity material too.

For the web (or ANY) display of images on a computer screen. Purchasing any resolution higher than 72dpi is a waste of money - since most computer screens run at this resolution.

If you are going to print - 300dpi will be fine (unless it's a super fine-art type print).

Small iStock will be usually fine for your site. Choose unusual ones though - the common images that people see all the time may put people off!

The "lovely" me? oh, you dont know me properly then! :)

"The ones I bought can be used as many times as you like on your site and you can also use them on advertising or publicity material too"

Yep- If you purchase the pics, then there's no problem in using them both in print and on the web. If you keep records of the transaction then theres no worries of them chasing you for illegally using them.

However, as TheBack&Beyond suggests- choose large (or extra large) 300dpi ones as they're the only ones that can used in both print and on the web. You't cant use small 73dpi (dpi means dots of "ink" per inch of paper) in print.

I'd probably not buy too many really- can work out rather expensive, and in the hands of a decent designer just two or three (even one) nice image can be manipulated and used in different ways to become part of the "brand".

Btw "as far as I know, you can't even "borrow" images from friend who previously has purchased them you would need to buy them youself."

You absolutely can't do that. You'll end up getting sued.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I am in the midst of re-branding and the fabulous Carl @ Verve has taken up the challenge of helping me !! UH-OH he might regret it .

But, in the meantime I have found Istock and like a few of the images on there to use in leaflets and on a website eventually.

But, how does it work?? How many credits should I start with ( I have gone through and made a list of the ones I like and a little tally of the credits), how many times can I use the images I have purchased, are they good for once only. Or, once you have bought them, are they yours to use as many times as you like??

I have tried to search this but can't find an appropriate answer.

Ta my luvlies :)

Claire xx

Have you thought about asking any of your suppliers for images? they may have a selection that you could use for free!

x

Hi sharkster
yerp got them all ready and waiting ;-)
I was after a certain type of thing for my logo,and am happy to say verve / extensionise are bang on it at the moment :) Xx

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Latest posts

Back