itchy head

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Pan

Too sexy to be old geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
ive had my hair done today (roots etc) and as always my head is itching like hell at the back - does anyone else suffer with this and if so do you have any remedies to stop the itching - its driving me insane with all the scratching

people will think ive got summit crawling in my hair before long

Hi hun

i can sympathise i get this as well, i think its something to do with the bleach, never found a cure as yet but maybe one of the girls who works within a hair salon can help.

x

dont get this problem with hair dyes, but when i use pantene hair conditioner, drives me crackers, :mad: but ive got very thick course hair and its the only one that does the job. xx

Peter Pan said:
ive had my hair done today (roots etc) and as always my head is itching like hell at the back - does anyone else suffer with this and if so do you have any remedies to stop the itching - its driving me insane with all the scratching

people will think ive got summit crawling in my hair before long

Hey pp

Do you have an anti-oxy treatment after your colour??

What it does is neutrilise alkali and peroxide residues in the hair and on the scalp, and it soothes the scalp and moisturisers it and the hair.
Added bonus is it leaves your hair lovely and shiney and your colour will stay brighter for longer.

HTH

Little Angel said:
Hey pp

Do you have an anti-oxy treatment after your colour??

What it does is neutrilise alkali and peroxide residues in the hair and on the scalp, and it soothes the scalp and moisturisers it and the hair.
Added bonus is it leaves your hair lovely and shiney and your colour will stay brighter for longer.

HTH

thanks

ive no idea - but ill ask her when i see her next

Have your stylist add a packet of sweet and low (over here it's the pink packet) or a saccharine tablet to the bleach or tint, it won't affect the color or the timing, but the chemicals found in those ingredients act as a buffering agent. If neither of those are handy put a clear ?soda pop? (Sprite or 7up are the ones I've tried) in a spray bottle and lightly mist your scalp (don't drench it or you'll rinse your bleach off!!) the chemicals act much the same way, and the carbonation aids in oxidizing (lightening) so you won't affect the color using this method either. (don't use a colored soda though, had a student try that at home, red food color #5 is not such a pretty color for hair...tells you how well she paid attention in class!)
I learned both of these techniques at a class at the Clairol Institute in NYC, they were given to us by one of the chemists in the lab. If you want all the details PM me and I'll dig through my stuff to find the why's and how's.

After your color ask for a moisturizing rinse, or buy one to use at home. I'm sure she could recommend one that will help relieve your itching and protect your new color so it doesn't fade or change.

Glynis I kept ignoring this thread because every time I looked at 'Itchy Head' I thought it would be something about headlice:eek: These damn things seem to be very fond of poor Dexter.... I never had 'em, Haydn never had 'em and Dex has had them 4 times - god I die when I have to deal with these things!!! :rolleyes:

theres a product called chinese whispers for hedlice. not sure how widely available it is, ithey sell it in my local health shop (holland and barrat DONT sell it though). Its apparently fab. other than that use tea tree shampoo, it deters hedlice. Australian Body Care did a campaign about hedlice i think.

x

Jeni Giles said:
Have your stylist add a packet of sweet and low (over here it's the pink packet) or a saccharine tablet to the bleach or tint, it won't affect the color or the timing, but the chemicals found in those ingredients act as a buffering agent. If neither of those are handy put a clear ?soda pop? (Sprite or 7up are the ones I've tried) in a spray bottle and lightly mist your scalp (don't drench it or you'll rinse your bleach off!!) the chemicals act much the same way, and the carbonation aids in oxidizing (lightening) so you won't affect the color using this method either. (don't use a colored soda though, had a student try that at home, red food color #5 is not such a pretty color for hair...tells you how well she paid attention in class!)
I learned both of these techniques at a class at the Clairol Institute in NYC, they were given to us by one of the chemists in the lab. If you want all the details PM me and I'll dig through my stuff to find the why's and how's.

After your color ask for a moisturizing rinse, or buy one to use at home. I'm sure she could recommend one that will help relieve your itching and protect your new color so it doesn't fade or change.

thanks for that - ill print this off to show her

Mrs Geek said:
Glynis I kept ignoring this thread because every time I looked at 'Itchy Head' I thought it would be something about headlice:eek: These damn things seem to be very fond of poor Dexter.... I never had 'em, Haydn never had 'em and Dex has had them 4 times - god I die when I have to deal with these things!!! :rolleyes:
tell me about it, nit season coming up joe and paul never get them but ashley my middle boy seems to atract them...bless him they all have number 2 all over but ash really hates having short hair bless him.......but in the summer he has no choice now..............all down to mothers who dont care and their poor little ones give everyones else nits (how can they not see their own kids itching)
me ...first sign of an itch from the boys and i am there rooting :evil:

joannerowsell said:
tell me about it, nit season coming up joe and paul never get them but ashley my middle boy seems to atract them...bless him they all have number 2 all over but ash really hates having short hair bless him.......but in the summer he has no choice now..............all down to mothers who dont care and their poor little ones give everyones else nits (how can they not see their own kids itching)
me ...first sign of an itch from the boys and i am there rooting :evil:

This is such a nightmare isn't it!! funny how it only effects some kids though I have 3, 1 boy who is normally fine and two girls who both suffer:cry:
I am forever checking their hair and they both have long hair!!! It makes me so mad that other mum's do nothing, if only everyone just took a couple of minutes everytime they washed their hair to just comb through - it would make such a difference!!!
Sorry moan over :biggrin:

Hugs
Jeanne xx

Glynis, I always get an itchy head after tinting when the hair hasn't been rinsed thoroughly.....the nape of the neck is the most difficult to rinse of when sitting at a backwash...could this be the problem?

As for the head lice, I'm no stranger to this and before I had too much knowledge about them I had a major infestation myself!!!

The best way I have found to deal with them is load your child's head with conditioner and comb through with a nit comb, making sure you put the offending blighters in water to drown. I always do it when the kids are in the bath so you can kill and cure at the same time lol.

Like mosquitoes, nits get resistant to the chemical products on the market and natural methods are the best, although I have heard good reports about Headlines.

If it last for more then a week, it can be allergies. Was for me. It's weird I can worm with it but can't put it on my head. If allergies it gets worse ever time.

Latest posts

Back