ITV's This Morning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturalnails

Legend
Reaction score
I wonder how many of you caught This Morning and the article about Nail Extensions. This is what the bit on the website said:

NAIL EXTENSIONS - You might have thought that nail extensions were only for the likes of footie wives and glamour models but more and more people are wearing them in much less obvious ways. Beauty expert Nadine Baggott is here with details

I have sent an e-mail to This Morning as follows:

To: [email protected]
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2005 4:02 PM
Subject: Nail Extension Item 21/03/05

Hi,

I would just like to tell you how much I NORMALLY enjoy the This Morning programme. However, today I watched with bated breath to see the article on Nail Extensions as I am a Nail Technician. I was most disappointed in the very blinkered view this gave to the professional nail industry we have in the UK.

The first "Holistic Nails" section was blatant mistruths about this product being prescriptive and non damaging to the natural nail. I know the brand which was used and this company spend a lot of money on scaremongering advertising saying how their product does not harm the natural nails and is much kinder to your health than acrylic. All nail enhancement products are from the acrylic family. The article went on to detail Backscratchers and then acrylic (correct term is Liquid and Powder) nails by Nails Inc and gosh you were surprised that these acrylic nails could look quite natural. And then to add insult to injury the home care kits you can buy in local Chemists were highlighted which bore absolutely no resemblance to what could be achieved in a salon - hopefully.

When oh when are beauty editors going to get their facts straight about nail enhancements causing damage to the natural nail. It is the technicians or the clients who will cause the damage. With proper training and good quality products there should be no damage to the natural nail. We are in the business of enhancing the natural nail not replacing it.

It is about time you gave a more balanced amount of coverage to the positives of the nail industry. Companies like Creative Nail Design and EZ Flow should be given the chance to reply to this kind of negative publicity for our industry.

Best regards

Fiona Barron
CND Master Technician
www.naturalnailsbyfiona.co.uk

I don't expect a reply other than the standard automatic one I have already had LOL.

Could not of put it better myself Fiona. It is frustrating when we see this sort of thing time and time over again. Its scary to think that the many millions of people watching this morning will actually believe the twaddle they have come out with.

Good for you Fiona!

I just so wish someone like yourself, Gigi, GMG or Marian could go on This Morning and have the opportunity to put the public straight. Perhaps Fern or Lorraine would like their nails done.

Nice one Fiona, Just wish I had seen it could have provided back up lol :hug:

Sorry I missed the programme. Well done for making your representations to the producers - I'd of done the same.

What was the overall view of the products they featured? - PM me if you dont want to name names publicly. I'd be really interested to know what my clients may have watched this morning!

NailNovice2 said:
Good for you Fiona!

I just so wish someone like yourself, Gigi, GMG or Marian could go on This Morning and have the opportunity to put the public straight. Perhaps Fern or Lorraine would like their nails done.

Excellent idea chris well done lets put it to the top and see what hey say. I know Marian tried o pyut things right in one of the magazines as did Geeg with her fables and myths.

Fiona good on you girl good job so many of us were at work otherwise they would ahve been inundated with calls.

Well done hun on standing up for all of us

well done you !!! with you all the way xxx

Well done Fiona!
This kind of promotion does more harm than good, where do they get their information from. We fight every day to re-educate our clients to what we KNOW to be true about the products we use. They've just taken all that hard work and s**t all over it :mad: . Unfortunately people do believe what they see on the TV and read in the papers. This has made me very angry.
I'd also like to say, and I hope I'm not offending anybody, the nail enhancements looked way below standard and from the prices quoted, way above price!

Wow - nice one!!Wish I had seen it.

hi
i caught a glimpse of it when i was cleaning my machines, and yes i had to stop working to see what they said.
the part where they were showing the the home kits, i must say these ones looked naff.
good on you fiona for the e-mail to let them know the facts, just wish i had caught all of it, to here what they had to say.

Nice one Fi you do have a way with words love lol

Take care Dawnie xxxx

Oh Fiona Im so glad someone else saw this - shock was not the word ! There was so much twaddle it was untrue and who on earth would pay £90 for the second set ?!!!

Interested to see what responce you get hun, if any like you say !

I have to say it would also help if the girl who's discussing this section of the programme knew what she was talking about too ! Im guessing that the individual companies give them their 2/3 lines about themselves / products

THOSE NAILS WERE JUST AWFUL !! Good job Phil was there to lighten the mood

My mum rang me actually and I feel embarrased that people watching this programme think that these are the sorts of nails that I / we are creating

Lets get some of our guys on there with some of their nails - NOW THAT WOULD REALLY SHOCK THEM - and they'd be embarrased they didnt call in the professoinals in the first place !

kx

I missed it :cry: but am with you 100%.

Let us know when and if you get a response, Fiona.

I saw this too, infact I taped it incase it was worth it but it failed miserably, the first thing that got me was the 'hollistic' approach of the first gel system, Phil asked... 'what makes it hollistic' to which the reply was 'taking care of your clients needs' (not sure of exact words but you know what I mean) and I was talking to the tv saying.. err... and I suppose the rest of us dont? This thing about it being prescriptive and mixing the gel to suit the clients needs... mmmm yeah right, all systems are prescriptive as we adapt our application depending on clients needs, wants etc.

The gel system apparently you only had to go back every 5 to 6 weeks... mine never go that long as my nails grow quick but isn't there a lot of growth and apex displacement by then? Well.... apparently not as according the the 'expert' you literaly just fill in near the cuticle!! - grrrrrrrr!!

Then what made me laugh, they then went onto the fibreglass system saying that the other systems dehydrate the nail and you have to buff them to rough up the surface! But with fibreglass you don't etc etc.... helloooooo, firstly you don't buff to rough the nail plate you take the shine off very gently, secondly unless I'm mistaken but don't all systems require this including fibreglass? (never used backscratchers so correct me on this one), and thirdly, what system is going to adhere to an oily, unprepared nail plate?

The nails were all terrible except the L&P ones which looked quite tidy in comparison, the rest were too wide, very flat, thick looking and the smiles.. well.... even I can do better and thats saying something! lol

I replayed it to my hubby just now lol and he said... even I know more than they do lol and I dont think he's far wrong!!

I was in hysterics when Phil complained about the ridge you get with the stick on nails.. thats right Phil tell them how awful they are! But the thing is... after promoting gentle care for the natural nail to then go onto these stick on nails that you can do at home and without warning about the damage they can do was just so contradictory

All in all it wasn't very convincing considering they were trying to show how lovely and natural nail enhancements are and how they are for everyone not just orange people lol

It does make you cross doesn't it. Makes me realise how much I've learned and what good training I've had when I see so called professionals getting it wrong!

Well said Fiona

Oh Tamm I can still picture Phils face now ...... yes but i can see Ridges, no no no said that woman, umm yes you can see those ridges there ... lol then the lady proceeded to say that well what do you expect they are only 6.99 from boots ...... or something like that ! lol

Sorry this is a serious thread and can only laugh now ..... many hours later, i was very angry and upset at what i saw and heard this morning !

kx

Maybe your hubby should have done this presentation Mani-fique LOL

Got a call from Karren as I was on my way to Leicester to pick my daughter up from uni to say WATCH THE TELLY and listened to her going my god, my god and got a running commentary so I sort of got an idea of what it was about!!Karren and Mani-fique (just got the pun in your name lol, am I SLOW or what duh-uh!) why don't you write too, the more complaints then the more they may take notice. Fiona let us know if you get a reply, I hope you did better than I did with BABTAC which was zilcheroony. BTW do you know which gel system it was?

LOL! Yes it was all so stupid that it goes past making you angry its so laughable! As far as hubby doing the commentry instead.. yeah I'm sure he would have done a much better job!

Sassy, well I did wonder whether to email them but I'm not very good with words and didn't trust that I wouldn't make a right hash of it by giving them wrong information from my poor pathetic attempts at righteous indignation!!

oh.. and my name lol.. yeah its a play on the french Magnifique... (sp?) so I do great mani's lol - or should I say magnificent manicures!! :biggrin:

Only day i missed the programme , but well done i agree with you -let us know your reply if you receive one

Latest posts

Back