Just been diagnosed with Psoriasis.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My other half gets it bad on his shins, stomach, arms and scalp, he was prescribed loads of REALLY strong creams that did work but he gave up on it as it was quite a hassle - you had to start with the low strength and gradually work your way up, plus you had to wait an hour for the creams to soak in, they worked amazingly well though, I'll find out the name of them for you.

Join the skincell forum, Jess posted the link, I'm a member, the guys there are real nice and everyones really helpful. There's toooons of psoriasis stuff there as well.

I'm about to try taking flax seed oil capsules which are sposed to be really good for the type of eczema I have, as well as psoriasis, try those out. Coal Tar is also really good. My other half has also said sunbeds really help his skin (when it's not sunny enough to sunbathe!!).

xx

My mam & Sister have it, my mam has it so bad that she has been hospitalised many times.
My sisters scalp is horrendous bless her its so bad.
It does get worse with stress & they both find sunbeds help.
My sister still has a spray tan done by me using tantrick nearly every week & its fine as long as i spray lightly over the areas with the sores. so you might be ok too to still have your tans.
take care - sorry to hear about it but im sure you will get it under control xxxxxxxx

i have had psoriasis for 16 years. there doesn't seem to be a magical cure
unfortunately but certain creams can keep it under control. i still try and cover it up so i know how you feel. if you need a chat pm me.

Aw francesXXX i know how you feel,i have suffered with eczema for years. :hug:

Yes there were times,even in the hot summers i had to search high and low for a long sleeve top because i was going out.

The were times i didn't want to leave the house,i was hiding.

Then i realised i had no reason to hide away,in time you will learn what triggers your condition,how to deal with it and how to avoid a break out.

It's a real pain having to carry out my body care routine every day,but it is worth it,if i miss one day i can tell !

Try not to feel too upset by it,once it is under control you will be much happier,but i can't stress enough how important it is to find a stick to a routine to avoid a flare up.

I once got it under control and thought i can't be bothered with this every day,it came back and i was back to square one,don't make my mistake hun.

I know your doctor said it was a severe case,but on a positive note,peeps who were not born with a skin disorder are 60 times more likely to get rid of it.

Hth x :hug:

Hey sweets, I have also been diagnosed with psoriasis and although mine is not incredibly bad I am still very affected by it - emotionally and physically, I become very self conscious of it and that only makes it worse.

I have tried many things in order to control it since my diagnosis in Feb.

The best tip I can offer is sun, sun and more sun. The uva and uvb rays are very good for it, try to incorporate about 20 minutes of sun exposure a day, noon is the best time I think, but if this is not a possibility there are options like uvb treatments (from dermatologists - get a referral from your gp).

Also I know everyone says it but stress and diet is very crucial. Start drinking more water, at least a litre a day (four glasses), FAT = NO GOOD. Taking skin supplements and vitamins (this is a bit of a long shot but worth a try). Stress may seem like an impossible thing to control but once you get the hang of it, it starts becoming easier, turn negative thoughts into positive ones, don't get overwhelmed by tasks, take a break from your routine ect, ect.

Now the next bit of advice I can offer is controlling your sicknesses and health, Psoriasis is an auto immune problem which basically means there is something not quite right with your immune system. Try and get healthy! Lots of sleep, avoid sick people, vitamins, lots of fresh fruit and vegetables.

Creams and moisturisers are helpful, I found steroid creams such as 'Divobet' helped me but the problem with those are they stop having a full effect after regular use. I have found a couple of creams that have done great things for me, both these creams are completely natural and I think thats plays a big role in controlling the disorder, ALL NATURAL. These creams are called, 'Caroline's Cream' & 'Thoroughbred Fix' (thoroughbred fix is a cream for dogs but has good effects on psoriasis aswell, I know, strange). Both can be ordered from the internet.

Living with psoriasis is stressful which seems to have a bad effect on it. But it does get better, if you believe it will. Take this condition as an opportunity to make some healthy and happy changes in your life (see its not all bad) but just remind yourself that you are going to be okay, and don't let it control your happiness! Psoriasis is still your skin, I used to view it as a foreign object, but I have realised that the first step of controlling it is accepting that it is still your skin, and its something that is very controllable.

Lots of love, and support from a woman who has had to deal with the heartache caused by Psoriasis. Wish you luck in controlling and overcoming it. http://www.salongeek.com/images/icons/new/icon_cool.gif

VERY old thread ... 5 years old.

Latest posts

Back