Just setting up mobile - any marketing advice please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sussexgirl

Reaction score
I've decided to set up a mobile beauty therapy business and wondered if anyone could possibly give me some advice with regards to marketing yourself? What has worked for you? What is a waste of time? I live in West Sussex and there appears to be 2 or 3 established mobile therapists in my hometown. I had intended to apply for job in a salon after completing my city and guilds NVQ level 2 but family constraints and lack of babysitters has meant that I am unable to commit to the hours they would need me to work. I'm also finding many require a minimum of level 3 before they'll consider you. I'm returing to college in October to study for my level 3 swedish massage and really hope that my lack of salon experience will not go against me too much with regards to going mobile. My beauty therapy teacher told me I'll make fab therapist and that she is willing to give me support for as long as I need her which is great. Anyway, without waffling on too much, if any of you can give me some pointers with regards to setting up and marketing it would be VERY appreciated. Thanks, Sussexgirl x

hi hun, I'm fairly new to mobile too. Well gone back to it after having kids. So kind of starting from scratch again. I didn't qualify in electrolisis when i did city and guilds 17 ish yrs ago so salons didn't want me then either. So I didn't do any beauty for years as i thought i wasn't qualified enough.
But about 6 yrs ago i met a mobile therapsist on holls and she said go for it. You can do as little or as much as you like. So you can start off with your basics and gradually add to it as you qualify. So dont feel your not able to do mobile.
As far as marketing im still in the start up process myself. Word of mouth is obviously your best. So do lots of mates and family. Get them to tell everyone and hand ot your business cards. Vista print do free cards which are so easy to make. You just pay postage. They also do decals for your car windows and t- shirts which i have also ordered. Gumtree and yell.com both do free ads for you. Just keep leaflet dropping at school car parks doctors dentist. Do these cheap youself. You dont have to pay loads.
Good luck hun. I have started picking up a few clients. Now generally have a couple a week that are returning every 4-6 weeks. It takes time. But enjoy it. It's a great job.
If you do waxing you'll be fine by the way. That really is your biggest earner i think.
Have fun if you need any help feel free to pm me.:) xxx

As an ex mobile therapist my best tip would be get out there and advertise yourself, school fetes, WI meetings, charity fundraisers etc etc that way potential clients can meet you first.

In all honesty the only really sucessful mobile therapists that I have met are the ones that have worked in salons before and built up a loyal client base which have then gone with them when they left. Im sure there are mobiles out there that didn't have a client base to start with but I bet they've worked there butt off to get it.

I ended up ditching the mobile in favour of renting a room and it has gone from strength to strength.

It was my fault the mobile didn't work out as I was to shy to go and speak in public, promote myself etc and I did not budget enough for advertising which imo costs more than a salon as you don't have that shop front the prospective clients can see. I just thought the clients would come to me !

Good luck though if its truly what you want and you've got the drive then you can do it :)

Thanks for all the advice both of you, I'm just going to really go for it. I'm pretty 'techy' minded (as is my husband) so he's putting a website together for me and all my marketing leaflets. Friends are all being really supportive and offering to spread the word around their friends. I'm going to keep adding to my skills and doing courses with my ex tutor who also runs her own private beauty school here in Burgess Hill. She's got a fab reputation in the industry and was shortlisted as beauty therapist of the year so I know I'll be learning from the best.

If anyone else can give me any pointers I'd be grateful.

Thanks x

Hiya hun,
Im just starting out mobile aswell and starting to think of marketing. At the mo its mainly leafleting and business cards im thinking of. I'll get a t-shirt with my business name, logo and mobile num printed tho and wear it with pride, hopefully that will generate some business too. Also if you cant get the logo stickers for the back window of youre car, get some really good eye catching leaflets or small posters done and just pop one of them at the side of youre back window (people will see youre car everywhere you drive) and they always look, I know i do!! Leaflet shops, pubs(if they let you) hotels, gyms, b&b's, hairdressers, nurseries, travel agents, bridal fairs etc... best of luck hun
xxxx:hug:

Im not sure if this will work, do points already given, but I thought of putting leaflets in supermarket trollys, as theres always something in youre trolley, and if it looks eyecatching, peeps would probably have a look,
Im going to walk around and put them in all trolleys, inc the ones under the shelters,
I think it would be a good way (i hope) ,just make sure its a dry spell of weather :lol:

as anyone else done this??

As mentioned before you always need to be distributing leaflets and business cards - have them on you at all times! I find that my website brings in clients - they have said they loved the website and reading all about the treatments on offer. Seanny a fellow geek created if for me - PM me if you would like details.

Beauty Salon Auchterarder

Latest posts

Back