Keeping Shellac top coat glitter free?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

My name is "Project Pretty" and I am a glitter addict! I haven't purchased my shellac stuff yet because I physically cant as I'm still awaiting my qualification certificates :( and until I receive them, S2 and Ellisons won't allow me to purchase CND products.

However I want to prepare in advance because I will be going nuts with glitters!

So my question is simply what is the best way to keep a shellac top coat perfectly clear and glitter free for use on normal colours without nail art. Will I have to buy 2 top coats? Or is there a way I can use the same one but some how keep it free from glitter particles when using on normal colours?

Tips please :)

xProjectPrettyx

It's best to have 2 topcoats if you'll be using glitter and additives.

No there isn't ! Definitely buy 2 topcoats. :lol:

Actually......
I'm not sure if you will buy a package deal but the other way around this is to use the clearly pink Shellac over your glitter then topcoat, then you could get away with 1 topcoat. I do that when working with some glitters rather than use two coats of topcoat to get a smooth finish.

Last edited:
From my experience I have had to buy 2 top coats and keep one aside for glitters ... Although I only buy the smaller top coat for glitters because not many of my clients go for glitters ... X

Thanks folks,

I thought this would be the case, to buy 2 separate top coats. I was hoping maybe somebody could come up with a clever idea but to be fair I did think 2 top coats would be the best way forward, ha. That's pretty much what all the people who post YouTube tutorials suggest too.

Thanks anyway :)

xProjectPrettyx

I always save my older top coats for glitter. When I'm part way down the bottle it becomes my glitter top coat and I start a lovely new top coat for straight shellac. Hope you enjoy shellacking x

I always save my older top coats for glitter. When I'm part way down the bottle it becomes my glitter top coat and I start a lovely new top coat for straight shellac. Hope you enjoy shellacking x

Ha me too! X

You could use zillionaire to seal in the glitter before top coat. Getting glitter in zillionaire can only make it better!!

also you can press the glitter right into the shellac and brush off the excess, I find that helps too :D

you are going to have so much fun :) I had two clients wanting glitter yesterday I had a blast :D

Or try putting clearly pink over glitter to seal it in and then top coat. Works a treat

I never use 2 coats of top coat I always apply a layer of a colour I don't use much of like Mother of Pearl, Villionaire or Clearly Pink for over Glitter and I have never found my Additives come off on my Top Coat so I just apply my normal TC.
Rather than spend more by using your TC just have a colour like Clearly Pink that you use for the first coat to seal in all the glitter.
:biggrin:

I just float the topcoat with gelish and then check the brush before I put it back in the bottle. If there's a bit of
Glitter I just wipe it on my couch roll

I've never gotten glitter in my TC. I apply the glitter, brush of the excess with a fairly stiff brush, then top coat. HTH! :)

I use mother of pearl over the glitter before top coat! It adds a lovely extra shine I find and keeps top coat clear, I use a cheap gel brush to brush thoroughly from side to side(like finger nail fixer) then after I use a fluffy blusher brush to dust glitter from the skin as it sticks to it. I find this keeps my topcoat clear x

I have 2 topcoats and I also have 2 silver VIP as it looks awesome over glitter and adds depth.

You could use zillionaire to seal in the glitter before top coat. Getting glitter in zillionaire can only make it better!!

I use zillionaire over glitter too. Adds a bit more sparkle to the glitters too!!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have a separate top coat too 😉 also brush off excess glitter and go round edge with orange wood stick after applying first topcoat (before cure). If its quite a chunky glitter I tend to wipe with D sperse then give a buff over with a 240 sponge board then wipe again and apply second top coat hate rough bits! Lol and this ensures it's completely smooth x

I use zillioneer over glitters. It gives them a bit more pizazz :)
I also press the glitter into the shellac colour coat with the middle of a gel form them brush the excess away.
They are super flat, super smooth and no extra time for removal as only one top coat :)
Vicki x

Dream Nails by Victoria

Last edited:
A coat of Zillionaire here too followed by the usual topcoat. Cx

Thanks so much ladies! some great tips here!

A lady in a salon told me to try and use a separate polish brush for top coat but I personally think that would dry the brush out when not in use right? I prefer to just get the 2 top coats and experiment with pearl and other colours. Will also press the glitter into the tacky layer. I have a lot of "fine" glitters, I think they would be more of a problem then bigger glitter chunks but hopefully wiping off the excess from the brush should get rid of the glitter particles.

I can't wait to have a mess around now! Should be fun :)

xProjectPrettyx

Latest posts

Back