Lady with Shellac trouble

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffydreams

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

All of my clients get 2/3 weeks with their shellac and are fine with it.

I had a new lady last Friday for shellac, no meds, no overly sweaty hands, no chronic illness. She called me today to say that two or three nails have chipped. I have made her an appointment to have them re-done.

She said that the same thing happened at the previous two salons she visited. Tis sounds like it is her nails that are the problem to me, does anyone know what could cause this?

Thanks.

What job does she do? Do she do alot of gardening or anything That could damage her nails?

She said she is a secretary but uses her hands a lot cleaning. I advised her to use gloves etc but wether she has done or not is another matter. I will ask her when she comes on Saturday which is another thing come to think of it.

She specifically asked for Friday (I'm full so booked her for Saturday)
But i open late every night to accomodate clients so wouldn't you think she would want to book in tonight or tomorrow night? Rather than wait until Saturday?

Was her nails quite thick? I recently done a client who had really thick nails with shellac, she usually has Bio and gets 4 weeks out of them. The shellac wore off the edges after one week and chipped slightly. I always cap well, it is easy to do so as the edges are thick. I know the edges wear off on my own after one week but they are thin and you cannot see the wear, but on this client it was clearly visible and not pretty!

She said she is a secretary but uses her hands a lot cleaning. I advised her to use gloves etc but wether she has done or not is another matter. I will ask her when she comes on Saturday which is another thing come to think of it.

She specifically asked for Friday (I'm full so booked her for Saturday)
But i open late every night to accomodate clients so wouldn't you think she would want to book in tonight or tomorrow night? Rather than wait until Saturday?

Do you think she is trying to spin them out abit longer to the weekend?

Ask her what she had on her nails before shellac, maybe her nails are slightly dry/brittle from acrylics?
Maybe she had acrylic or a gel on before and is used to Being hard on her nails.
Therefore the shellac may not be as strong as she's used to as its just slightly more than a manicure but not an enhancement?

Hope this helps xx

Her nails were quite dry and brittle to which I told her that she should have regular manicures to add some moisture. However, she said she was only interested in the end result (shellac, polish etc).

She said she has had shellac on for a while, no enhancements for months.
I have a feeling she may be trying to spin it out a little yes.
I want to charge for re-doing as I don't think this is my fault. However, i know she is expecting it free of charge, i will have to put my foot down I think!

How annoying! Does she use Solar Oil? This will almost certainly help penetrate through the Shellac to her nail plate and beyond!!! Sell her a pinkie one pronto! :)

hey hun

assess the damage and if you know it's not you then definitely charge. Do you give written aftercare sheet? I ask this as on my sheet it clearly states repairs are charged at x amount. Having it written on there may hopefully make someone treat their nails better in as much as if they are causing the damage and you repair them for free they'll think they can carry on trashing them. This may or may not be the case for your lady, you won't know until you see them.
With regards to letting them know you charge you can do is when confirming your clients repair appointment run through the details reading back appointment dates and times and just add the price on the end.
One last thought is if you advise your client that they may not last as long due to condition of their nails note it down on your consultation cards in the notes section. That way you have a come back should they not last as long.

Love n hugs x x x

It might be 4 or 5 chipped by the time she gets to u!
Be fair but don't let her take advantage of you.
She me need abit more advice on aftercare oil etc like other geeks have said.

Let us know how you get on x

She says she doesn't have time for solar oil!
Refuses all aftercare, even when i give her aftercare verbally she just says she knows and doesn't let me finish.

I will assess the damage and charge fairly for re doing. I had another regular lady today who came in with perfect shellac after 3 weeks so that re assured me too.
I will make her listen to me about aftercare lol. Nightmare! Xx

She says she doesn't have time for solar oil!

What now? She has time to phone you and complain about her Shellac chipping after you have 1. given her aftercare advice which she clearly hasn't stuck to,
2. refused to listen to ur advice about manicures to get her nails in better condition to get maximum wearability out of her Shellac

3. is expecting you to do it free of charge....and she DOESN'T have SECONDS to spare to swipe some solar oil over those nails?

Gimme a break...

If this chipping isn't your fault (which it doesnt' sound like it is) and you know it, then by all means, charge for the repair..I would in this situation.

Good luck hun. x

What now? She has time to phone you and complain about her Shellac chipping after you have 1. given her aftercare advice which she clearly hasn't stuck to,
2. refused to listen to ur advice about manicures to get her nails in better condition to get maximum wearability out of her Shellac

3. is expecting you to do it free of charge....and she DOESN'T have SECONDS to spare to swipe some solar oil over those nails?

Gimme a break...

If this chipping isn't your fault (which it doesnt' sound like it is) and you know it, then by all means, charge for the repair..I would in this situation.

Good luck hun. x

Its ridiculous isn't it? I'm thinking she is more trouble than she is worth. Maybe this is why she is on to her 3rd therapist in as many months.

I think I will do the repair, drum it into her head about aftercare and solar oil and then be fully booked forever :) x

Its ridiculous isn't it? I'm thinking she is more trouble than she is worth. Maybe this is why she is on to her 3rd therapist in as many months.

I think I will do the repair, drum it into her head about aftercare and solar oil and then be fully booked forever :) x

Did she say why she had changed therapists?
I'm guessing she's either a nuisance or a pee taker.
Seeing what she can get for free!

If shes no time for aftercare then maybe shellacs not for her!

No time for solar oil??? Ha as if x

If she does not use any aftercare products then she has no room to complain about anything!

People who buy things and then don't look after them deserve all the problems they get.

Charge for every single repair and tell her up front before you begin what the charge will be ... Then if she wants to leave then let her. Messer!!

And ... I don't like your title. :hug:
This client is having no trouble at all with Shellac. SHE is the trouble. Watch your titles, it gives a bad impression on the site. So many threads which start out wit 'Troubles with Shellac client' and when you read the thread the trouble is not with Shellac, but ONE client who is abusing Shellac!!

Last edited:
She said she has changed therapists as no one "can do shellac" on her nails as it chips or peels off. The same thing has happened with me so I'm thinking its her nail condition and/or lack of aftercare.

I just feel she is out to see what she can get also, will be interesting when I see her on Saturday! Xx

She said she has changed therapists as no one "can do shellac" on her nails as it chips or peels off. The same thing has happened with me so I'm thinking its her nail condition and/or lack of aftercare.

I just feel she is out to see what she can get also, will be interesting when I see her on Saturday! Xx
Well, she keeps coming back for more, so I think what she is doing is as plain as the nose on your face!! She's going from place to place, complaining for a few treatments and then moving on. It's not a big mystery is it? Her nails are too long for the work she is doing and she is bashing them. I bet it is only a few nails that show any wear and tear .. Probably middle and index finger on each hand for a guess.

Well, she keeps coming back for more, so I think what she is doing is as plain as the nose on your face!! She's going from place to place, complaining for a few treatments and then moving on. It's not a big mystery is it? Her nails are too long for the work she is doing and she is bashing them. I bet it is only a few nails that show any wear and tear .. Probably middle and index finger on each hand for a guess.

It is certainly not a big mystery, no!
I asked her over the phone which nails were damaged and they are indeed middle and index. I will advise her that maybe shellac is not for her due to her workload.

It is certainly not a big mystery, no!
I asked her over the phone which nails were damaged and they are indeed middle and index. I will advise her that maybe shellac is not for her due to her workload.

Of course they are!! lol

Just advise her to keep those particular nails shorter! No need to stop Shellacking!! Don't shoot yourself in the foot! :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back