Landline number for one man business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lissy00

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have just had my mobile for a long time now and cannot have a landline at home, but I know that a landline is much more appealing for customers.

Vodafone have been sending me their details about their onenet service which gives you a landline number, but it just rings your mobile. For the customer though, they feel like they are ringing a local number and doesn't cost them anymore. I love the idea of this, but for nearly £50 a month for the mobile phone/ landline contract all in, it is still a bit too much for me.

However, I have been doing some digging and came across Local Phone Numbers | Free Virtual Telephone No anywhere in the UK - Virtually Local whereby you can get a landline for free and have it linked to your mobile (or any number in fact) Clients don't pay any more than a local call, but you pay 8p per minute for it to go to a mobile. No monthly fees. So I am just wondering if this might be quite a good way to get myself a local number.

So questions, do you think it is important to have a landline?

And has anybody got experience with vitually local. Have I missed anything?

And otherwise, is there an alternative that is affordable and recommended?

Thank you everyone xx

I don't think people care any more!

Most people have unlimited calls from there mobile anyway, the only thing that would put me off having a mobile number is that people will text you last minuet to cancel appointments!

I don't think people care either as most having treatments also have mobile phones themselves.

The other thing to be really careful of is that, although 8p per minute doesn't sound very much, it is very expensive and that, added to your mobile contract costs, could easily be more then the £50 you mentioned.

Honestly, in all my time, mobile and home salon, my clients have never objected to ringing or texting my mobile number. In 18 years I can't think of one single issue with it.:wink2:

I don't think people care either as most having treatments also have mobile phones themselves.

The other thing to be really careful of is that, although 8p per minute doesn't sound very much, it is very expensive and that, added to your mobile contract costs, could easily be more then the £50 you mentioned.

Honestly, in all my time, mobile and home salon, my clients have never objected to ringing or texting my mobile number. In 18 years I can't think of one single issue with it.:wink2:

My current mobile is only £13 a month so it would be on top of that. It was instead of the £50 one.

Thanks for your input guys. I suppose it's all the older client's who say, don't you have a house phone I can call. They're the ones who make up the majority of my current client base and don't know how to use a mobile if they even have one!

But for me I always ring a mobile. I suppose I just think it looks professional when someone has a landline too.

A (virtual) land line definitely does add credibility, you do look like a more serious business to many people. When I used just a mobile, like you say, some people didn't like the fact that they couldn't see which area I was in from the local area code - with a virtual number, they think they can see you are local :wink2:

I had one for a while, but the company I used merged with another and doesn't offer small business services any more so I can't recommend them to you. I used the virtual landline number with a PAYG mobile.

There are a LOT of these companies offering these services, so shop around for a price structure you think will suit you.

Be careful how those 8p/minute can add up if you or your client likes to chat ;-) I was surprised at how the cost added up, but it still worked out a lot cheaper for me than a fixed business line.

It's useful to have the facility (online or by phone/menu) to be able to redirect the virtual number to another number. Even if it's just in theory, I liked to know that I could use a virtual receptionist or just a friend to cover the phone.

Net Telco look good. Not so many numbers to choose from but they are only charging 4p a minute, which looks much better!!!

Keep you posted on what I decide x

I went with these Net Telco | Free UK Geographical Telephone Number

I realised there are actually hundreds of free numbers, but it only shows you 3 at a time. You just have to press search again and new ones comes up. So I kept sifting through until I found a number I really liked. You can have up to 3 free phone numbers, but I only needed the one. So I have linked it to my mobile but think it takes a couple of days to take effect! Quite excited!

I have topped my account up by £10 + VAT and then you don't need to top up again until that runs out, and it's 4p per minute that comes off my credit when client's ring, but completely free for them.

Thanks peoples xx

Latest posts

Back