Lava shell massage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey All,

This sounds brilliant.

Is there a test at the end of the training? It's just that I qualified a few years ago in Holistic Tharapies, but have not carried out a treatment for a long time. I want to pick this up again, but have forgotten all my routines, including AP.

What other products do you need to buy after the training has completed?

Hope this makes sense.

Thankyou.

Desi Chick :confused:

Yup my question as well! Really interested in this treatment. I am only 4"11 and small so massage knocks me out! Hoping this would be a little different treatment to offer and help with my hands too....

A lot of money for some shells and a bit of training though!!!

Sarah

When you pay for training you're not just paying for the goods and the time. You're paying for the R & D, the branding and the earning potential of the treatment.

My own experience of using these shells, for what it is worth is a bit different. I started with them circa early 2009 and I personally couldn't take to them at all.

The various sets, which were quite new leaked, one just broke sharply around the rubber seal. They were also very hot to hold for any length of time and definitely way too hot for some clients who would be flinching even though they had been tested before hand so in and out of bowls of cold water the shells went.

The hotter deep tissue sachets we just couldn't work with as they were super hot and impossible to work with.

When I saw recently at one of the shows they were selling facial ones I though OMG, but was relieved to learn that they wouldn't be as hot as the body ones.

I personally don't use them anymore in the spa but from a client point of view if they want a lava shell massage, one of my LMTs will do it but it is not something any of them enjoys either as apart from the points above they like to "get hold" of the muscles but of course it has to be about what the client wants also.

Each to there own of course and I really hope I haven't offended anyone as one thing I have learnt from SG is people like to defend their products to the death..LOL

As I mentioned at the start it is just a different opinion, from an experienced LMT who has used these products over the years.

Last edited:
Hey All,
This sounds brilliant.
Is there a test at the end of the training? It's just that I qualified a few years ago in Holistic Tharapies, but have not carried out a treatment for a long time. I want to pick this up again, but have forgotten all my routines, including AP.
What other products do you need to buy after the training has completed?
Hope this makes sense.
Thankyou.
Desi Chick :confused:

Hi Desi Chick
Yes there is a test at the end of the training.
You would get taught the Lava Shell Body Massage routine on the course, so it doesnt matter if you have forgotten you old rountines.
You pay for the kit & training together & take your kit home with you on the day you complete your training.
The kit will include everything you will need to carry out plenty of massages. x

Yup my question as well! Really interested in this treatment. I am only 4"11 and small so massage knocks me out! Hoping this would be a little different treatment to offer and help with my hands too....
A lot of money for some shells and a bit of training though!!!
Sarah

Sarah, If you are interested in this course then contact Shared Beauty Secrets & find out excatly what you are getting for your money, I can assure you you dont just get some shells & a bit of training!!!!!:eek:
It is not really that much money when you think that in approx 6 massages you would have earnt all your money back. x

My own experience of using these shells, for what it is worth is a bit different. I started with them circa early 2009 and I personally couldn't take to them at all.
The various sets, which were quite new leaked, one just broke sharply around the rubber seal. They were also very hot to hold for any length of time and definitely way too hot for some clients who would be flinching even though they had been tested before hand so in and out of bowls of cold water the shells went.
The hotter deep tissue sachets we just couldn't work with as they were super hot and impossible to work with.
When I saw recently at one of the shows they were selling facial ones I though OMG, but was relieved to learn that they wouldn't be as hot as the body ones.
I personally don't use them anymore in the spa but from a client point of view if they want a lava shell massage, one of my LMTs will do it but it is not something any of them enjoys either as apart from the points above they like to "get hold" of the muscles but of course it has to be about what the client wants also.
Each to there own of course and I really hope I haven't offended anyone as one thing I have learnt from SG is people like to defend their products to the death..LOL
As I mentioned at the start it is just a different opinion, from an experienced LMT who has used these products over the years.

Jacqueline, I have been using Lava Shells since March 2010 & have never experienced these problems you have had, I havent heard of the "hotter deep tissue sachets, so they cant sell them anymore. Once you have put the charges in, if you just leave the shells for a lenght of time then thats when they will get too hot & overheat, but if you are massaging with them then they never get too hot as you are moving them around distrubuting the heat.
It might be worth talking to SBS about your charges as they really shouldnt be getting too hot too hold - maybe you had one of the first batches that have since been improved on.
I find that I can do a deep tissue massage with them as well as the "thumb" of the shell really gets into the muscles.
Such a shame you havent had a good experience with them - for me they have been a godsend & one of the best courses & treatment I have ever done.
I really hope your above post has not put anyone off! x
By the way what is a LMT? I am guessing maybe something Massage Theraist? x

Ach I really want to do this!! But I live in NI :-( Sounds amazing xx

Sarah - I have just checked the training venues & they train in Ireland & NI x

Edel Swords School of Holistic Therapy- IRELAND
Lord Edward Guest House, Kildare Town, County Kildare, Ireland
Salon services - N.IRELAND
15 Falcon Road, Belfast, BT12 6RD
Sangoma Therapies and Training
Scotch Parade, Athlone, County Westmeath, Ireland​

Hi again. So pleased that everyone loves shell massage, my clients love it and like i said before it makes our job much easier and more enjoyable.
I dont use lava shells myself as I found them a bit fiddly. I heat my shells(which are not the same, I have all different ones) in a heating pad and they hold their heat beautifully. I usually use these for a slightly gentler massage, stones for more heat penetration and bamboo if you really want to go for it!
I really wanted to start protecting my own hands and joints and I think this is the way forward! xx

I really wanted to start protecting my own hands and joints and I think this is the way forward! xx

If you want to start protecting you hands & joints you should look into NO HANDS Massage - there is a thread on here about it, I did the course last month & it is brilliant! x

Thanks Emma!! Really appreciate that. I'm currently doing HNC in Beauty Therapy Sciences (Level 5) and we were trained in hot stone massage. I graduate this summer and obviously need my certificate before I can offer this massge, so I've been shopping around fir a good value hot stone kit.

After reading about this, I'm not sure what to do!! I wonder what's more popular and what's more beneficial?

Thanks again for your help!! :) xx

You are welcome x

I guess its down to personal peference.
I just commented on another post re hot stone massage. I was going to do a hot stone massage course & really researched into it, having 2 HS massages done at different places, looking into kits & colleges etc. I just wasnt 100% sold on it. Then I found out about Lava Shells & was sold straight away. The LS massage is fluid with no therapist breaking away from the client to get new stones out the heater, is great for mobile & therapist with not much space as no heater is needed & also the shells are non pourous like the stones are, they each keep there heat for approx 1 hour. x

[/QUOTE]Jacqueline, I have been using Lava Shells since March 2010 & have never experienced these problems you have had, I havent heard of the "hotter deep tissue sachets, so they cant sell them anymore. Once you have put the charges in, if you just leave the shells for a lenght of time then thats when they will get too hot & overheat, but if you are massaging with them then they never get too hot as you are moving them around distrubuting the heat.
It might be worth talking to SBS about your charges as they really shouldnt be getting too hot too hold - maybe you had one of the first batches that have since been improved on.
I find that I can do a deep tissue massage with them as well as the "thumb" of the shell really gets into the muscles.
Such a shame you havent had a good experience with them - for me they have been a godsend & one of the best courses & treatment I have ever done.
I really hope your above post has not put anyone off! x
By the way what is a LMT? I am guessing maybe something Massage Theraist? x[/QUOTE]

Yes Emma LMT, is licensed massage therapist.

The title comes from the fact we hold a medical license issued by the department of health, Massage students basically have to train for a minimum of 500 hours including 30 clinical hours/cases, pass the dozens of course exams and then graduate from the course and then take a national exam before you can even apply for the licence. (My own course at Uni was just short of a year as we covered so much and cost $$$$$. I loved every minute of it:lol:)

As a native of the UK, it is something I would love to see more regulated in the UK.

Other licenses for skincare, nails etc. are also regulated, skincare 240 hours and nails 260 and then those licenses are issued by the state so these are not medical licences but are still regulated. And the adventure you have to go through when opening your own spa well I won't bore you with that.

Anyway, coming back on subject to the lava shells,you may be right that they have developed them more since I used them as every word I wrote was true about them being too hot etc. I have just checked my supplier website and they don't seem to carry them anymore...wow that surprises me, I am off to find an old catalogue to look into it. I still have some sachets of the deep tissue somewhere as I wouldn't use them again.

To finish on a positive as I don't want to dampen anyones enthausaism, I am an absolute believer in that each person has to try things and make their own minds up about anything in life but it is always good to hear different experiences don't you think?

Last edited:
Forgot to say, we use the Thai Sa-Wan Herbal Ball, small for facial and large for body and these seem to go down well, just something else to consider offering, anything to make you stand out from what else is out there and all that.:)

Not sure if I am allowed to post the link where I get them from but if you are interested let me now and I can send it or info on them. I prefer these to obviously the shells and also hot stones

Last edited:
Forgot to say, we use the Thai Sa-Wan Herbal Ball, small for facial and large for body and these seem to go down well, just something else to consider offering, anything to make you stand out from what else is out there and all that.:)

Not sure if I am allowed to post the link where I get them from but if you are interested let me now and I can send it or info on them. I prefer these to obviously the shells and also hot stones
is this like the thai herbal compresses?
a link would be great, thanks.

Hi Jacqueline,
Ooh yes please a link would be great, yes you are allowed to add links on here.
Thinking about the Lava Shells, I think we are talking about different types.
The Lava Shells I am talking about are by the company Shared Beauty Secrets which are uk based, & only got launched in late 2009 I believe.
The company you get yours from sound different as they have different charges which is probably why yours sound like they are too hot to work with. x:hug:x

Last edited:
No problem girls, just off to bed but I will dig out all info in the morning.

Yes Ann it is the herbal ball compress. I brought them in as something different in this competitive time and they are quite popular.

Emma it is absolutely the same lava shells as I thought similar today but when I looked on SBS it was exactly the same thing. I was wracking my brain to when I first started using them and it was definitely early to mid 2009 but don't forget I am in the US so they could have been launched there before UK.

I'll see if I can dig my old ones, (the came in a beigey packet) out and show you the packages etc. I was thinking you could have the deep tissue sachets but if they company don't sell them in the UK it would probably screw up your insurance.:rolleyes: From what I remember there were three activators: mild, comfort and deep heat.

The bottom line is they work for you and you are excited and passionate about it which is wonderful and let's face it if we all liked the same things, boy life would be dull.

Last edited:
I have pm'd you both about the other product rather than take this one more off subject.

Are you a beauty professional? If not then I fear you won't be able to buy them wholesale as this is a privilege reserved for professionals. Sorry!

i have just bought my self some lava shells for home use but the refill pack is £20. and you only get one massage out of it, does anyone know where i can buy wholesale please?:rolleyes:

Are you a beauty professional? If not then I fear you won't be able to buy them wholesale as this is a privilege reserved for professionals. Sorry!

Lynne is right, plus you can only by the Lava Shell charges if you are trained & qualified by them.
The home use kits are completly different to the professional.
Are you doing a Lava Shell Massage course? x

Although the lava shells are just about the only ones available at the moment there is a new version coming to the Uk shortly which involves the use of lots of different types of shells heated in a different way. looks and sounds great but dont have details yet. Will post on here when I do. I know that lots of people love the lava shells so they must be very good but its always good to look at alternatives too?

Latest posts

Back