layer of gel before glueing on tip

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engela

Reaction score
I really would like to take special care of my clients nails. I've seen (and experience) nail techs buffing and buffing and buffing the natural nail before applying product.

At biosculpture I was taught to apply a thin layer of gel before applying the tip. this will protect the natural nail against overbuffing when blending and the adhesive.

I offer this as part of my service and clients (the few that I've had soe far as Im still new to this) like the idea that I look after their nails, but it does take extra time.

Does it really make a difference applying gel under tip. Only a small amount where tip should go. I do this when I apply acrylic or gel over.

Engela

This is standard procedure with Bio Sculpture, and I too was trained this way although it has brought me some scornful remarks in the past about not being properly trained!

Thats said, I was also trained to apply a thin layer of resin when applying fibreglass of silk nails, befiore tipping, so I suggest the theory is the same there.

In my honest opinion, once proficient in tipping, it is probably unecessary, but does no harm whatsoever, and does mean the nail only comes into contact with the gel, which does seem to leave my clients nails stronger and healthier than the other systems I use. I personally put this down to Bio soaking off so nice and quick, so maybe thats the benefit!

The thing is, you do what you feel comfortable with....and if that means protcting the nail a touch more than with other system...then go for it!

By the way....do you not sculpt with Bio Sculpture? The new free Edge gel, makes it all soooo much quicker and easy and I NEVER buff the nail at all first, unless the client comes to me with a high shine already. I just dehydrate the surface slightly and apply!

I've also sent you an invite to join our Bio Sculpture group here. Hope you join x

I dont use Bio Sculpture, and I have never heard about applying a thin layer of gel before tipping, but I can tell you that I never cause any damage by applying tips and/or blending! I think that for a qualified and proficient tech this would be unnecessary.

I dont like the sound of this, because if there are techs out there who tell their clients that they use this procedure to prevent damage to the nailplate, those clients go away thinking that all techs who dont do that must be causing nailplate damage when in fact it is far more likely that an experienced tech who doesnt need to use this prodedure is far less likely to cause nailplate damage than a tech who doesnt have enough confidence in his/her skills to apply tips in any other way. This could cause extra hard work for some techs who then have to work hard to explain and prove to their clients that they are not causing any nailplate damage by using the usual application method.

I dont know enough about bio sculpture or the training provided by this company to make a qualified opinion, but my gut reaction on reading this is one of disappointment. Throughout my training and subsequent professional work, I have learned that it is ultimately a fruitless exercise to learn litle tricks to help you get round the bits you are not very good at, and that instead you should focus your energies on learning to get those bits right instead. I cant help but feel that the act of applying a thin layer of gel before tipping is just one of those little tricks to mask damage that can be caused by inexperienced techs who have yet to master the art of blending.

I may be way off with this one as I dont know the product thats being discussed, but I do know how to do nails (l&p and gel) and I do know how to blend, and the above is just my honest opinion.

Thanks Lynday, Michelle

Honestly I think it just ads to the time. Applying, the gel, curing it, wiping of the sticky, buffing and then apply the tip and blend. The thing is I was only trained in Biosculpture gel so it it that way for a few years, I just qualifed to do acrylic.

I was just not sure what the general practice is with other nail techs. I don't have a problem with blending so in future will not add the gel. I understand where you are coming from Michelle.

Yes Lynday, I've done the sculpting with the free edge. But I have not had any requests to do it. All my future bookings are for Acrylic. But I do not find it strong. Not sure what Im doing wrong. I've done 3 sets of sculpting on myself, my mom and a friend and some nails tear (natural nail tearing with the gel). I've tried making it stronger by applying more S-gel, but still the same problem. But Im attending a Bio workshop in June, will discuss then.

tx
Engs:lol:

Hello,

Although I wasn't trained by bio, I also learnt that way for thin or damaged natural nails.

Such nails can be very sensitive to filing and the base gel layer helps a lot.

The gel can also act as a ridge filler, giving a better bond of the tip even without using a gelbond-like glue.

But yes, it add some time to the service. And if you pre-blend the tip or if you can use CND Performance-like well-less tips, it's also useless.

i thought that if the nail was smooth (ie putting gel under the tip) the glue wouldnt stick?

i thought that if the nail was smooth (ie putting gel under the tip) the glue wouldnt stick?

Quickly buff with a white block after removing the sticky layer. The glue sticks very well.

Thats said, I was also trained to apply a thin layer of resin when applying fibreglass of silk nails, befiore tipping, so I suggest the theory is the same there.
Double adhering for tip application is how I was taught (by Gigi) when I did my Fabric# training, I also use it for gel and L+P tip application as it provides a stronger bond between the nail and the tip :wink2:

Double adhering for tip application is how I was taught (by Gigi) when I did my Fabric# training, I also use it for gel and L+P tip application as it provides a stronger bond between the nail and the tip :wink2:

Will love to know more please explain application.

Thanks much.

Trini

Those techs trained by Calgel are also taught to apply a small layer of gel before applying a tip.

i too was trained this way
by calgel and still use it on thin
nails, calgel and bio are top end gels and have great training so i find it a bit off when somone says they are disappointed about a company's training when they admit they dont know much about the company, i think engela you should do whatever you feel comfortable with and if it takes an extra 10 Min's dont worry about it its not the end of the world x :hug:

Will love to know more please explain application.
I use this way of application when using resin adhesive (but not with Gelbond).
After sizing and tailoring tips, when you're ready to apply, give each nail a thin application of resin adhesive to the free edge (all 10), then apply tips as usual, you should also find that the tips are easier to apply as the adhesive on the free edge attracts the adhesive on the tip :D

After sizing and tailoring tips, when you're ready to apply, give each nail a thin application of resin adhesive to the free edge (all 10), then apply tips as usual, you should also find that the tips are easier to apply as the adhesive on the free edge attracts the adhesive on the tip :D

This works really well with well-less tips like Performance too, as it can be quite easy to lose your lower arch, with no well for positioning. I know I did a few times when I first started using them, and the attraction between the two adhesive layers, seems to help position the tip at the right angle.

Sandi, am I understanding correctly here:
Do you apply a thin layer of adhesive to the entire nail before applying your product?
And you do this with gel & l&p as well as your wrap system?
(sorry, I'm a bit dense tonight,pmsl :lol:)

Sandi, am I understanding correctly here:
Do you apply a thin layer of adhesive to the entire nail before applying your product?
No hunny, just the free edge (or tip contact area)

And you do this with gel & l&p as well as your wrap system?
Yes

(sorry, I'm a bit dense tonight,pmsl :lol:)
no you're not dense lol

hth's

With my experience i blend the tip into the nail not the nail into the tip so im filing the tip and very little of the nail.... but also lately i have been using a clear tip when doing a full set where there is no blending what so ever... you dont see the tip under the acrylic and makes life alot quicker and faster.....:)

With my experience i blend the tip into the nail not the nail into the tip so im filing the tip and very little of the nail.... but also lately i have been using a clear tip when doing a full set where there is no blending what so ever... you dont see the tip under the acrylic and makes life alot quicker and faster.....:)
Hi and welcome to the site Manni :green:

If you're blending correctly then there shouldn't be any contact with the natural nail.
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finis...le-control-part-2-thinning-blending-tips.html

When using clear tips you still need to blend away the thickness of the contact area, unless you're using well less tips, the less tip you have (and the thinner the tip is) the more room there is for product so you'll have stronger enhancements.

hth's

Hi everyone I have just would like to let you know why Bio puts gel on the natural nail before tipping, when I started with Bio over 11 yrs ago before the UK started using Bio, I found that even though I never used tips on my clients even with Acrylic but I did teach them when I was teaching Acrylic and I used them in the salon as party tips. As the other girls have said there should be no contact with the file on the natural nail when blending tips, but the reason I started putting gel on the natural nails first was because I knew that girls were still going to use tip over sculpturing and the problem was they were applying tips to very damaged nails and there was not enough support to the natural nails, back then Bio was a lot more flexable.
I was amazed when I went over to the Uk a few years ago and saw everyone teaching to put gel under tips all the time, not that this would be a problem just that was not why I started doing it.
Hope this helps.:)

Hi i trained with backscratchers (supernail) this way with thin layer of gel but im not sure im liking it, it may just be me but my sets aren't as strong and long lasting as when i dont do the thin layer before tipping. I suppose its just preference xx

Latest posts

Back