Learn from each other's mistakes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I coloured someone's hair purple (she didn't want purple!) I was meant to put a warmer colour on her white at the front and an ashier colour at the back. Got it the wrong way round! Haha x

Omg lol. I have mixed wrong colours but have noticed b4 applying on client haha

Ah and another one when I was mobile

I was doing my Client roots with rusk colour so there's a semi lotion u can use to make it a semi and the permanent normal 20vol.

She's Grey so I was meant to use 20vol. Anyway then I mixed the colour applied on the roots and then realised it was the semi lotion. Balancing something like that omg I asked her. To rinse off while I went home to take the right one lol

This happened to me 5 years ago...
One of my regulars ( thank god!) came in to cut her hair.. everything was going great but we were really very chatty and talking about an intense subject.. as I get to her bangs ( fringe I think you guys call it ) im thinking in my head that I have my thining scissors ( the ones with the dents ) to go in and feather it out ( she has an insane amount of hair) sadly turns out I was holding my regular cutting scissors and was too busy listening to her talking to notice as I cut in the middle of her bangs... snip! half of it falls on the floor and I go OMG!!!! with huge eyes.. she looks at me and says wth are you doing!?! and so j tell her I thought I had the other scissors .. anyways she ended up laughing it off and getting a shorter bangs which made her look like she was 6 gears old..

I def learned lesson to verify my scissors...lol
she is still my client today:)

Sent from my GT-N8010 using SalonGeek

Probably worst I'd done when training was doing my cousins hair from b,each blonde to me deciding 5.0 straight over the bleach would be nice lol safe to say she looked like she was joining the army once it was done lol x

This happened to me 5 years ago...
One of my regulars ( thank god!) came in to cut her hair.. everything was going great but we were really very chatty and talking about an intense subject.. as I get to her bangs ( fringe I think you guys call it ) im thinking in my head that I have my thining scissors ( the ones with the dents ) to go in and feather it out ( she has an insane amount of hair) sadly turns out I was holding my regular cutting scissors and was too busy listening to her talking to notice as I cut in the middle of her bangs... snip! half of it falls on the floor and I go OMG!!!! with huge eyes.. she looks at me and says wth are you doing!?! and so j tell her I thought I had the other scissors .. anyways she ended up laughing it off and getting a shorter bangs which made her look like she was 6 gears old..

I def learned lesson to verify my scissors...lol
she is still my client today:)

Sent from my GT-N8010 using SalonGeek

Lol
If say ok I forgive U if u let me cut yours the same way haha

I'm not perfect by any means, I just have the gift of the gab lol.. I did a ladies full head foils etc when I was 17 and it bled so much it looked like a tortoiseshell cat! I actually managed to convince her that that was what it was meant to look like and she left really happy!

I made a girl cry once :-( she had waist length natural blonde hair and she came to me asking for a "dido"
Anyway I had only seen Didos newest video just that morning and so have her a nice layered cropped cut, which flicked out at the back.. One of the girls started sweeping up the hair and said "oh you have had loads off today!" To which my client burst into years and cried "yes too much! Dido has a shoulder length bob"..turns out she hadn't seen Didos latest hair do ;-/
My lesson? When doing a big change on a new client..CONSULT, CONSULT,and Consult again!!

I feel old talking about dido :(

I shaved up the back of a mans head not realising there was no clipper guard on the clippers... And dyed another mans hair purple as I left his toner on too long... Not quite the "eminem" look he was going for lol!!!

I'm not perfect by any means, I just have the gift of the gab lol.. I did a ladies full head foils etc when I was 17 and it bled so much it looked like a tortoiseshell cat! I actually managed to convince her that that was what it was meant to look like and she left really happy!

I made a girl cry once :-( she had waist length natural blonde hair and she came to me asking for a "dido"
Anyway I had only seen Didos newest video just that morning and so have her a nice layered cropped cut, which flicked out at the back.. One of the girls started sweeping up the hair and said "oh you have had loads off today!" To which my client burst into years and cried "yes too much! Dido has a shoulder length bob"..turns out she hadn't seen Didos latest hair do ;-/
My lesson? When doing a big change on a new client..CONSULT, CONSULT,and Consult again!!

I feel old talking about dido :(

This is what my client wanted

This is what she got

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1365445419.062053.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1365445419.062053.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 380
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1365445441.918685.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1365445441.918685.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 380
I shaved up the back of a mans head not realising there was no clipper guard on the clippers... And dyed another mans hair purple as I left his toner on too long... Not quite the "eminem" look he was going for lol!!!

Oh I've don't the old forgetting the guard thing more then once :-(

We had a girl who I tinted with a 10/ base and usually toner p01 well I asked my junior to toner her and instead of picking up p01 there was an upside down box of p10, my client came down the stairs with a lovely bright blue!! Lol

We had a girl who I tinted with a 10/ base and usually toner p01 well I asked my junior to toner her and instead of picking up p01 there was an upside down box of p10, my client came down the stairs with a lovely bright blue!! Lol

Which is why I always mix my own colours, even if someone else is applying

I once worked in a salon in the 90s ( yes I'm old!!) and my colleague mixed up a base 6 with a base 9 retouch as the box was upside down on the shelf!! I'm not sure i want to confess any of my personal learning curves lol !! :o

I learnt NEVER EVER repeat any gossip you might of heard after doing just this as a young stylist only to be confronted with the person we had been talking about in reception ...... Omg

Charvey, we learn from our mistakes an all salons work differently I should have mentioned my junior has 4 yrs experienced and qualified... Longer than some actual hairdressers on here this was suppose to be a wee fun blog to share not diss

Charvey, we learn from our mistakes an all salons work differently I should have mentioned my junior has 4 yrs experienced and qualified... Longer than some actual hairdressers on here this was suppose to be a wee fun blog to share not diss

How is that dissing?? I'm just explaining why I mix my own colours, because I have seen this mistake made myself..thought the idea was to learn from others mistakes not to take things personally but hey ho, seems to happen a lot in here of late

Because it is supposed to be a fun light hearted convo abt some daft mistakes, and wee sly comments get said. And people take offence because of some jumped up people on here and we wonder why they say that it's a catty industry :)

I once asked a colleague to mix my colour up for me as I wasn't feeling well. I asked her to add a touch of red mix to make the chocolate brown abit warmer. Well it came out bright red. She put half a tube of red mix tone in!! I got in trouble for it though. Would never get someone to mix my colours again lol x

Because it is supposed to be a fun light hearted convo abt some daft mistakes, and wee sly comments get said. And people take offence because of some jumped up people on here and we wonder why they say that it's a catty industry :)

Because you have taken a light hearted comment and called people jumped up because you took it the wrong way.. Sorry if you read it differently then what if was meant, probably my fault, but do we really have to name call on a light hearted thread?

Anyway, moving on, I remembered another one. From when I was an apprentice. Stylist had wound a long hair spiral curly perm which took him an hour and a half, he asked me to apply the perm solution which he had left next to the sink and trusted me to check the s curve etc. whilst applying lotion I thought "oh this one doesn't smell bad at all" stuck it in, developed it, lovely s curve. went to put neutraliser on which stank like high heaven, when through whole process, removed rods etc, rinsed.. Hair was straight as straight can be!
Yes I had put the neutraliser on first and the perm solution on to neutralise..very unhappy stylist and client and lots of tears from me ;)

I don't think it was intended to be "catty" or "dissing" anyone...I also always mix my own colours, even when having my own hair done, simply because I'm a bit of a control freak!

Latest posts

Back