Learn from each other's mistakes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottydolly

Reaction score
Ok. . . I am being the evil twin of the show us your best thread. We have all also probably been guilty at sniggering quietly to ourselves (some not so quietly) at the early mistakes the newer generation have made. But lest we forget, we were all once young, new and full of cock sure attitude, so i thought it would be nice to tell eachother our worst disastours, how we it happened and how it bettered us as stylists.
Im hoping this can be lighthearted and provide a bit of educational fun

Guess i better set the ball rolling. .

A long time ago, when i was an improver i was doing someones regrowth colour. The salon had run out of her specific colour which was a nice reddy brunnette.
Me thinking i was the clever thing that i wasnt, thought i can easily make this colour. Surely its just a case of mixing EQUAL parts base and the accompanying mixtone. . .
30 minutes and a shampoo later i discovered to my absolute horror the poor woman had an inch and half regrowth of blood orange colour. . . .
She wasnt even one of those laugh it off clients, she had a total tearful tantrum mid salon on a very busy day. . . Where i proceeded to cry and literally RUN out the door. . .
This taught me several things. . . .
Number 1: mixtone is stronger than it first appears
Number 2: Always ask for help or second opinion when learning to colour cocktail
Finally Number 3: never and i mean EVER run in public. . . Im still knwn as the boy who ran

great idea! i haven't had too many mishaps whilst training so far, well apart from being a bit over zealous with my texturising scissors when i was cutting my son's hair...he had an adorable wispy cute cut...not so cute on a 6ft 6inch bruiser:o, or deciding that i fancied a change from my blonde and decided to go a lovely warm level 5, the colour would have been gorgeous on someone else but i looked like a right old mammy so one cleanse later my hair colour was visible from space ( not just yellow but YELLOW) so i added some violet special mix to 10/01 to tone but i added far too much so i was rocking a Strictly Come Dancing shade of cerise for a wee while :lol: xxx

great idea! i haven't had too many mishaps whilst training so far, well apart from being a bit over zealous with my texturising scissors when i was cutting my son's hair...he had an adorable wispy cute cut...not so cute on a 6ft 6inch bruiser:o, or deciding that i fancied a change from my blonde and decided to go a lovely warm level 5, the colour would have been gorgeous on someone else but i looked like a right old mammy so one cleanse later my hair colour was visible from space ( not just yellow but YELLOW) so i added some violet special mix to 10/01 to tone but i added far too much so i was rocking a Strictly Come Dancing shade of cerise for a wee while :lol: xxx

LOL oh my.... That was quite a vision of the 6ft 6 bruiser with an adorable wispy crop hahaha.
Also toning can be alot harder than it looks, its quite intimidating knowing that sometimes the only thing standing between a clean result and an overtone that would scare vidal himself (god rest his soul), is a few secods and a quick draw dash to the water tap haha

I've been qualified over 5 years...last week my tonner grabbed and went a tad blue (5 minutes before performance reviews!!)

Turns out client was a John Frieda addict which is what I'm putting it down too as it was a tried and tested fav tonner of mine (9/16 +10/0 CT)

That's the only real eeek moment I've had-hope I haven't jinxed myself now!

Guess i better set the ball rolling. .

A long time ago, when i was an improver i was doing someones regrowth colour. The salon had run out of her specific colour which was a nice reddy brunnette.
Me thinking i was the clever thing that i wasnt, thought i can easily make this colour. Surely its just a case of mixing EQUAL parts base and the accompanying mixtone. . .
30 minutes and a shampoo later i discovered to my absolute horror the poor woman had an inch and half regrowth of blood orange colour. . . .
She wasnt even one of those laugh it off clients, she had a total tearful tantrum mid salon on a very busy day. . . Where i proceeded to cry and literally RUN out the door. . .
This taught me several things. . . .
Number 1: mixtone is stronger than it first appears
Number 2: Always ask for help or second opinion when learning to colour cocktail
Finally Number 3: never and i mean EVER run in public. . . Im still knwn as the boy who ran

Hello the ran boy ;p lol

What I have done is I mixed 30ml Keaton with 50ml peroxide on someone grey ;OIoooo and guess what after 45min waiting wash blow dry etc had to re do it again well done to me lol

What I have done is I mixed 30ml Keaton with 50ml peroxide on someone grey ;OIoooo and guess what after 45min waiting wash blow dry etc had to re do it again well done to me lol

Hhaha i guess you learned to be more careful with instructions for peroxide ratio huh lol. . . And i really dont run any more. . . Even walking quickly has been banned

Hhaha i guess you learned to be more careful with instructions for peroxide ratio huh lol. . . And i really dont run any more. . . Even walking quickly has been banned

Hahaha. Lol

Yeah I know I shouldn't have used 50ml but I wanted to save colour and also wella 1-1 the colour is so thick ;( bit hard to work with

Week one of salon opening, new client came in for a cut and colour, she loved the colour said it was the best shed had, but was in tears at the cut, done full consultation with her, wanted a symmetrical cut, all one length to help it grow down evenly, the cut was already a-symmetric and showed her on both sides where the cut would be taken to, several times whilst cutting she reminded me she wanted a nice even symmetrical cut, then when the long side went (only an inch longer) there was tears galore, turns out shed not meant the overall cut the same length, but near enough the same length it was currently at and to keep it a-symmetrical, she'd got her symmetric and asymmetric mixed up, and I'd misunderstood her, taught me to do more thorough consultation and reminded me to constantly reconfirm with clients to stop any mix ups,
Luckily a few weeks later she came back t the salon with another stylist and now highly recommends all of us and compliments all cut and colours I do and has a laugh about it, but at the time I felt soo bad

LOL oh my.... That was quite a vision of the 6ft 6 bruiser with an adorable wispy crop hahaha.
Also toning can be alot harder than it looks, its quite intimidating knowing that sometimes the only thing standing between a clean result and an overtone that would scare vidal himself (god rest his soul), is a few secods and a quick draw dash to the water tap haha
lol its made me much more cautious with mix tones, bright pink hair is amazing on some people...on me...i looked like i'd wandered off of the set of the Muppets lol xxx

Week one of salon opening, new client came in for a cut and colour, she loved the colour said it was the best shed had, but was in tears at the cut, done full consultation with her, wanted a symmetrical cut, all one length to help it grow down evenly, the cut was already a-symmetric and showed her on both sides where the cut would be taken to, several times whilst cutting she reminded me she wanted a nice even symmetrical cut, then when the long side went (only an inch longer) there was tears galore, turns out shed not meant the overall cut the same length, but near enough the same length it was currently at and to keep it a-symmetrical, she'd got her symmetric and asymmetric mixed up, and I'd misunderstood her, taught me to do more thorough consultation and reminded me to constantly reconfirm with clients to stop any mix ups,
Luckily a few weeks later she came back t the salon with another stylist and now highly recommends all of us and compliments all cut and colours I do and has a laugh about it, but at the time I felt soo bad

Omg i wouldn't know what to do really. The girl that work with me always cut more than clients ask. Few have left without paying oooooo anyway I'd cry I think haha thank god I'm very confident but still lol

Mine was when I was at collage I had to do a bob for an assessment , I cut it wonky i mean really wonky , so I kept cutting to straighten it up it was getting shorter and shorter . The client was watching the whole time , needless to say I failed the assessment but now have it down to a fine art 8 yrs later ! X

Omg i wouldn't know what to do really. The girl that work with me always cut more than clients ask. Few have left without paying oooooo anyway I'd cry I think haha thank god I'm very confident but still lol

Nothing to do apart from apologise, I told her that I couldn't take the money for it, but she insisted that she knew it was a genuine mistake and mixup, out the money on the desk and left. Luckily we didnt loose her

Nothing to do apart from apologise, I told her that I couldn't take the money for it, but she insisted that she knew it was a genuine mistake and mixup, out the money on the desk and left. Luckily we didnt loose her

That's good then can they sue u for a bad haircut? X

That's good then can they sue u for a bad haircut? X

I beleive if they are that bothered they can take you to a small claims court, however most people aren't aware of this, the legal costs wouldn't make it worth while.

Mine was not so much of a mistake but something I I intended to do. Bearing in mind I was a cocky 16 year old at the time who didn't care what anyone said. I was told to apply 3/0 wella colour on a older male. While applying the pervy fella asked me if I did extras and was making rude comments. I told him no and proceeded to purposefully apply the colour very messily around his hairline which obviously stained his skin on his forehead. Needless to say neither he or my boss were very happy with me but I was happy I'd got my own back on the perv

Another one that's wasn't a hair mistake but put my foot in it big time. One Christmas Eve morning I was blow drying a ladies hair who wasn't a regular. A bloke in a rain mac kept walking past the shop. I made a comment in a packed shop (ive not got the quietest of voices either) that he looked like a perv in his rain mac staring in at us. The lady then looked and said "that's my husband". I wanted the floor to open up and swallow me. Needless to say I quickly learnt that art of professionalism and keeping my mouth shut!

Another one that's wasn't a hair mistake but put my foot in it big time. One Christmas Eve morning I was blow drying a ladies hair who wasn't a regular. A bloke in a rain mac kept walking past the shop. I made a comment in a packed shop (ive not got the quietest of voices either) that he looked like a perv in his rain mac staring in at us. The lady then looked and said "that's my husband". I wanted the floor to open up and swallow me. Needless to say I quickly learnt that art of professionalism and keeping my mouth shut!

Jjajajajajajajajajajaja jjajajajajajajajajajaja. Fabulous one lol

I'd die hahaha

I coloured someone's hair purple (she didn't want purple!) I was meant to put a warmer colour on her white at the front and an ashier colour at the back. Got it the wrong way round! Haha x

Latest posts

Back