let my client go!!! ( feel bad now!!) thyroid

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotus blossom

Reaction score
had a client in today for rebalance, been with me for about 4 appts, ( shes a florist) a very busy lady , never sits still , never has time for herself etc etc , anyway been using nsi attraction on her and she suffers terrible with lifting, she then gets the green oasis under the lift , spray paints etc etc , they are trashed, everytime i see her i have to start a fresh as they are so bad, she apologises, but she says she doesnt have the time to oil them , pamper them etc as shes busy , anyway , she arrives today and i said i was unhappy with her nails, and suggested we soak them off , as she obviousely finds it hard to get on with them , and try again another time,
"oh but i love them" , she says ," but theyre trashed i say!!!! "( really shes a bad advert for me) but thinking of her nails actually because she catches them and then they are pulled off,
so we decide on a soak off, while im soaking them off she tells me shes just found out she has an under active thyroid and has started meds for it, so my question is, does anyone know if having an under active thyroid problem and NOT being on meds, would cause a lifting problem, ????? or will it just be her lifestyle and job?? it did make me think though , so i suggested a sample nail on her in a bout 6 weeks after shes been on the meds to see how it goes and take it from there,
any ideas???

I'm sure that Thyroid meds can affect enhancements, I'm sure it's on my client consultation form.

Not sure if a thyroid problem and no meds would cause lifting. I know Reynauds Disease does!!!

Rachel

i don't know what makes me think this but i do think this type of medication affects nails.

have you tried her with gel or any other system other than L&P? x

kadie said:
i don't know what makes me think this but i do think this type of medication affects nails.

have you tried her with gel or any other system other than L&P? x

shes not on the meds at the time,of the lifting , thats what i wondered, if not taking the meds but suffering with a thyroid problem , would cause it
i only do l and p , so thats not the answer for me ( yet!)

It could be the meds, but far more likely her job. Being a florist is a very manual job and they are using their hands A LOT. I have a client who was a florist, she's changed jobs and since then she's had no lifting and no breaks (touching my head in lieu of wood!).

Hi

I have an underactive thyroid and everytime I have L+P on you can literally peel them off. It is as if it has just not stuck to the nail at all.
I have had them done in different places and even do them myself all with the same result.

This is just my personal experience though.

HTH

Lisa

its more likely to be the condition not the medication.
i have overactive(graves) and this has caused me the most oily of nail plates, it has improved scince being on the medication.
underactive and overactive although on the opposite of the thyroid level scales can still have some certain symptoms the same...skin problems and oily nail plates

My mum has an under active thyroide, and they peel off her as well, usually within 10 days. Now she has a manicure every 2 weeks with a nice polish , then if shes going out she has some party nails put on, with some nail art to sbazz them up a bit. I did find though that silk or fiberglass didnt lift on her as bad as acrylic.:)

oh right, sorry, i misunderstood. i think thyroid (underactive) makes nail plates quite oily. However, i don't suppose her job helps much really. maybe you could try 2 layers of primer and some good nail dehydrator before you do them again? i also find that if i have clients who are prone to lifting, i do 5 nails at a time so that the oils don't have a chance to come back into the nail. x

thanks guys for all your helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

personally it may take longer but 2 nails at a time, thats what i have to do on myself

kadie said:
oh right, sorry, i misunderstood. i think thyroid (underactive) makes nail plates quite oily. However, i don't suppose her job helps much really. maybe you could try 2 layers of primer and some good nail dehydrator before you do them again? i also find that if i have clients who are prone to lifting, i do 5 nails at a time so that the oils don't have a chance to come back into the nail. x
i would say the opposite. people with underactive thyroids normally have dry brittle nails and dry skin.

:irked: dosent matter wither over or under the medication is the same I did my english thsy on this as I suffer from it and after researching on a lot, lot, lot, of people with this condition that take the medication which is called thyroxine the only difference is in the dosage.

I can wear both acrylic and gel and so can most of my clients so I think your reasoning is wrong people suffer from oily and dry nails without suffering from hyprothrodism I have learned that we need to just take a bit longer in the pampering division

It short order it means that we do not produce enough iron in our bodies

hope this help catherine:lol:

I have a client with underactive thyroid too, her nails never lift but on the other hand I also have clients who have the same condition who's nails DO lift. The medical condition can certainly can affect the nail plate although it may not be the same on every client.
For example, not everyone who suffers from underactive thyroid will have lifting.

I have a client also a florist, acrylics lift on her but fibreglass doesn't so try that!

Hope that helps!

Georgie

Hey
thyroid is an auto immune disorder and can result in ridges in nails, brittle nails and imperfections. no reason to worry about the medication.
i know these strange facts as im studying to be a nurse and do nails part time.
hope this helps x:lol:

thanks all for your replies, i will wait until shes started the meds and after about 6 weeks will try a sample nail on her, but thanks for advice,
xxxxx

i take it that after about 6 weeks her meds would have kicked in and took her " thyroid levels" to normal???( as she only found out this week she has a problem)

HEY NICK :green: :green:

i have an under active thyroid................no probs with lifting...with gel

hth

amb xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:green:

catherine ceane said:
:irked: dosent matter
catherine ceane said:
wither over or under the medication is the same I did my english thsy on this as I suffer from it and after researching on a lot, lot, lot, of people with this condition that take the medication which is called thyroxine the only difference is in the dosage.

I can wear both acrylic and gel and so can most of my clients so I think your reasoning is wrong people suffer from oily and dry nails without suffering from hyprothrodism I have learned that we need to just take a bit longer in the pampering division

It short order it means that we do not produce enough iron in our bodies

hope this help catherine:lol:

hmm... ever write a beautiful and totally eloquent reply, only to somehow have it lost to the winds?
Ok, seriously though.... Please understand that I"m not trying to be snarky, but only trying to give some further insight into this disorder...

Hypothyroidism/Underactive thyroid, (aka hashimoto's disease in its worst form) basically causes lots of symptoms that are very similar to the body slowing down... Most people with it notice things like weight gain, brittle, ridgy fingernails and toenails, brittle dry lusterless hair that can fall out naturally and not be replaced, dry skin, difficulty getting pregnant, for women, menstrual difficulties, feeling cold all the time... People with this disorder take a drug called 'Synthroid' in the US, levothyroxine is its generic name, it is a synthethic thyroid hormone that helps the body maintain normal thyroid levels.

Hyperthyroidism/Overactive Thyroid (aka graves disease in its worst form) causes lots of symptoms that are very similar to the body sped up very quickly. Many people notice things like drastic weight loss, even though they are eating like horses, oily skin, nailbeds, limp greasy hair that falls out, soft weak fingernails, acne, difficulty maintaining pregnancy, abnormal menstrual period, Hot flashes. People with this disorder sometimes take medications like
Propylthiouracil and methimazole, or beta-blockers to help against the thyroid hormone overload... or, they can have something called a 'Thyroid Abbelation', which is basically a surgical removal or chemical destruction of the thyroid. This causes a artificial state of hypothyroidism, which is then managed by synthroid.

Hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism are really devistating diseases that are relatively easily controlled by medications or surgery and medications...

Ok, enough medical jargon..if anyone wants more info/discussion of this, feel free to PM me.

-Cashew

I hav an underactive Thyroid and no this would not (IMO) cause lifting. I have been wearing enhancements for years and this is during being both on and off medication.
Hope this helps.

i started a thread a couple of months ago can medication / diet cause lifting and the overall answer was NO:)

Latest posts

Back