Level 1 Mature student

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missbad

Reaction score
Hi

I am currently at college on my level 1, and will be applying for level 2.

I have also managed to get one day a week in a salon to help with actual salon experience.

A lot of the girls at college are saying it is not worth it. I find college is good but would not give me enough to feel confident in what i am doing with out salon experience.

Would you agree it is worth working in a salon also? I just want to be good after i qualify and have more knowledge than just college base.
:)

If you can get work in a salon then definitely do it! College will only teach you the basics. I had a level 3 girl and whilst she may have been very good at the theory, her practical work was appalling, and level 3 is meant to be advanced!
I personally now wont take anyone on straight from college unless they are an exceptionally good stylist.
My nephew is 16 this month and wants to get into hairdressing. He has been colouring and cutting on friends for a couple of years now but he has a natural flair for it and i've told him he is not going to college-lol. Told him he needs an apprenticeship. You will pick up so much more from working in a salon and watching others work.
If this is what you really want to do then get as much salon time as you can:)

If you can get work in a salon then definitely do it! College will only teach you the basics. I had a level 3 girl and whilst she may have been very good at the theory, her practical work was appalling, and level 3 is meant to be advanced!
I personally now wont take anyone on straight from college unless they are an exceptionally good stylist.
My nephew is 16 this month and wants to get into hairdressing. He has been colouring and cutting on friends for a couple of years now but he has a natural flair for it and i've told him he is not going to college-lol. Told him he needs an apprenticeship. You will pick up so much more from working in a salon and watching others work.
If this is what you really want to do then get as much salon time as you can:)

I would of liked to have done an apprenticeship, However i think my age put people off lol.
I have heard a lot of salon owners will not take on with out salon experience, this is why i decided to find a salon who was prepared to have me.
I love hairdressing i wish i had done it years ago.
Thanks for your comment. :)

You're never too old! Young and old people both have their advantages. Sometimes people feel more comfortable with a more mature person. My salon staff are all aged over 25-perhaps i'm ageist-lol.
I tend to look for people who are passionate about their work cos then i know they will do a good job.
I have in front of me 2 people. One has been hairdressing for 20 years but is dillusioned with the job and it shows. The other has been hairdressing for a couple of years but is passionate about their work! Who do i take on?
I'd take on the second one (obviously they'd need to be good too), as i want my clients to feel comfortable.
Obviously they wouldn't be as experienced as the first one but i'd send them on courses to give them more experience!

i did mature level 2 hairdressing at college 2 years ago and loved it, however because i am a really mature student (51 ) i have never been able to find work in a salon i even offered to work for nothing just to gain experience and confidence but no-one would give me a change so if you have got a chance to work in a salon i would go for it there is nothing like real hands on experience college is good but i dont think it can compare to salon work good luck for the future

I was a mature student and the best thing I have done. I note that you are in Lincoln, is it too far from Center Parcs? That is where I started and I have to say the best best decision I ever made, i learnt so much of all the therapists, got the best training, worked with 3 product houses, got super quick with treatments without scrimping on quality for the client, just basically lots and lots of confidence.

You go for it and you will see it is the best thing ever, you have plenty to bring to this wonderful ever expanding business of ours.

Good luck in what you decide

x

sorry see you are for hair (my eyes are not what they used to be!! lol) Anyway, can just add then that CP is good for hair too - you could maybe do reception in the hair bit while training at college so you get a feel ok will shut up now : )

hi, am at collage training in beauty therapy l2 i am 20 but there are 2 students in my class who are over 30 and they are both excellant students definatly top in the class and both the tutors and more mature clients seen very at ease with them. I also think it is great that you have got a salon placment as salon experiance is definatly an advantage as most salons will only employe people with experiance. xx

hey im a mature student and i love it i think your doing the right thing dont let anyone tell you other

x

I think you shoulld go for it your never to young/old to follow your dreams

I think there are pros and cons to working in a salon, and also college, I learnt hairdressing doing it via the salon as an apprentics I loved every minute of it and personally I would prefer to do it this way although I dont have a problem with people going to college and learning hairdressing ,

good luck with your course:hug:

Don't let anyone put you off.
I'm a support Tutor at college and teach NVQ 1, 19+, it's a qualification in assisting a stylist and an introduction in to Hairdressing.
If you have enjoyed that and want to go onto your NVQ 2 go for it, during your 2yrs your confidence will build especially if you also have salon experience.
Good Luck

Hi

Thank you all so much, I am 34 and i am loving it. I am sure confidence will come. I am also so glad i have found this site so thank you all again xx

I am a mature student, 36 and i have just passed my written exam to get onto level 3, i have loved every minute of it, do what is right for you. doind everything you can to learn IS worth it :hug:

Hi, yes I agree it all depends what you like to do yourself and what you feel comfortable with,
its a bit like driving you are trained to a very high standard whilst learning,
and you wont have picked up any bad habits ,
then when you are competent and you are ready to get out there;

you will learn and see some more great things in a salon and pick up some great advice
that you can to add to your own skills

but watch out and try and recognise some of the
bad habits that you can pick up in a salon too
especially on health and safety ,

always keep up your own CPD skills along the way ,

Just like driving remember all your training and the rules
and what you learned at college
as I honestly think that the Colleges and Tutors of today are of an Excellent standard ,

I loved College and would rather have gone there than a Salon
even though I did it the other way around lol x :)

Latest posts

Back