Level 3 - why so popular?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmog

Reaction score
Hi geeks

I was just thinking about why salon owners are keen on therapists having Level 3...

Am I right in thinking that Level 3 covers "electrical stuff" and maybe some massage-type body stuff (gosh I'm articulate today :irked:)?
Not that many salons seem to offer these treatments, so I was curious - obviously if you want to offer electrolysis or something you would want Level 3 therapists, but if not is the Level 3 requirement because it shows commitment and perhaps a certain level of theoretical knowledge?

Just wondering! I'm not about to sign up for an NVQ unfortunately.

Well firstly Its not just 'electrical stuff' and massage type stuff :eek::!:

Level 3 in beauty therapy is like a level 3 in any other qualification it is more advanced. Therefore you not just learning new treatments like massage (which is a very popular treatment) you are building on your existing level 2 qualifications......Anatomy & Phsiology, Advanced Facials, Salon Management etc.

Although electrolysis may not be as popular as it once was you are still learning more in depth knowledge about hair removal, same for body/face electrics. Amongst the other treatments included in level 3.

My opinion is that most salon owners require a therapist to have level 3 as this broadens there skills and knowledge and obviously that they have dedicated another year of training to their choosen profession.

Took this from Habia website

Level 2
Level 2 is junior level and covers basic skills and knowledge. It is the minimum standard required to work effectively in a salon or spa. Level 2 is available in hairdressing, beauty therapy, nails services, spa therapy and barbering.

Level 3
Level 3 is the target qualification for anyone wanting to be a truly proficient professional in their chosen field. It expands upon the basic skills of Level 2 and is aimed at those wishing to enter the top level of their professional or go on to become salon managers and owners. People who have been in the industry for some time but are looking to update or accredit their skills can also take it. Level 3 is available in hairdressing, beauty therapy, nails services, spa therapy and barbering.

When i trained in hair (many moons ago):lol:i went from svq level 2 to HNC. It was quite a big jump as there were loads of people in the HNC class who had been hairdressing for years and had far more experience. I dont know wether there wasnt a level 3 at the time, or wether my college just didnt offer it but i thing it would have been beneficial.

Different colleges cover different aspects on NVQ level 3. When I did Level 3, It included, Electrical Body and Face Treatments, Sweedish Massage and then furthered onto Aromatherapy, Camouflage make up, Electrolysis.

My friend did Level 3 at a different college and didnt cover camouflage make up or aromatherapy, but instead covered eyelash perming, which I didnt.

I think from an employers point of view, a Level 3 therapist will have more knowledge of the treatments available and to be honest, If I was looking to employ someone, Id chose a Therapist that had Level 3 over someone that only had level 2.

Well if you don't do level 3 you won't be able to do level 4 ..and yes there is such a thing.

I am just starting level 3 and it doesn't include aromatherapy or camouflarge, although we did eyelash perming in level 2., we do electrolosis, st.tropez tanning, electrical face and body massages. I started today and it was brill:):):)

whats level 4?

Level 4 is a Hnd.Usually a lot more business for people that want to go into the areas of managing and owning larger salons,health farms, spas etc.It can also include cosmetic science,advanced electrolysis,laser light hair removal and other advanced techniques but it varies.
There is also level 4 in holistics.Hnds are seen as equivalent to a university degree and involve 2 more years study.

I'm liking the sound of level 4...although I've never seen any courses around my area/college advertising them. Have you done the lvl 4 Gillian?
Sorry for hijacking your thread mcmog :hug:

I'm liking the sound of level 4...although I've never seen any courses around my area/college advertising them. Have you done the lvl 4 Gillian?
Sorry for hijacking your thread mcmog :hug:

No i haven't im not that ambitious and i don't like going to school:) but i am trying to steer my daughter in that direction she just started her nvq 3 yesterday.

I haven't done level 4, but I did do a BTEC HND (albeit a long time ago!), after having done the national diploma. It was very in depth with a lot of emphasis on the theory of nutrition, dermatology & so forth as well as including classes in law & management, and training in more advanced treatments. We also had to complete a thesis which ran concurrent with the final year.

hi, im about to start a foundation degree in spa management, which covers running and managing a spa and also i still get to do all the treatments and of course the all important practical placement which will prove invaluable by the time i finish my degree.. hth

Good for you both.I think its fantastic that people do take this career as far as they can.This is why i get so tetchy when i read a do it all in a week post.
We all have the opportunity of going a lot further and a lot more in depth and i don't think many people realise it.

I haven't done level 4, but I did do a BTEC HND (albeit a long time ago!), after having done the national diploma. It was very in depth with a lot of emphasis on the theory of nutrition, dermatology & so forth as well as including classes in law & management, and training in more advanced treatments. We also had to complete a thesis which ran concurrent with the final year.

I think I'll stick with the qualifications I have now come to think of it :green: I don't think my old brain will stretch that far :irked: and I'm like Gillian...I don't like going to school either. The best of luck for your daughter if she chooses to go in that direction though :hug:

Hi
Just read your comments and as a salon owner and an independent college owner I know there are several reasons why level 3 therapists are more popular as employees. You are right that they have more knowledge and a wider skills base. Although some of the content within the full NVQ may not be relevant in a salon the majority e.g. massage, electrical, wraps, body masks are really good skills to have and these treatments are used a lot in salons. You may be interested to know that it is not necessary to take the full NVQ levle 3 diploma, you can train in any of the individual units. Be happy to advise anyone. Kim, Cottage Training Centre.

I no exactly were u are coming from, when i first qualified and was looking for work i only had parts of my level 3 as did my level 2 over a two year period. So incoperated in that was level 3 body massage and level 3 aromatherapy. Nail rxt i did seperatly and have since gone on to work and train with specific product brands like decleor and jessica and then intamate waxing. Personally i think u need massage and nails but u can gain these through specific product training which i think gives u more of a chance in the industry but only my opinionxxx

Ps i never went on to the level 3 because all that was remaining was epilation and electrical faciels and that has never really interested me, each to there own i thinkx

Thanks geeks!

I think it's great that beauty and hair are taken seriously as subjects to study, I trained as a nurse and though there is no substitute for "see one, do one", the more theoretical knowledge you have to back up your practice the better, I think.

I suppose it's courses for horses almost. I wish I had thought of doing this when I left school, if I didn't have bills to pay I would go to college and probably not leave til I'd exhausted all the courses!

Good luck to everybody doing courses at the mo - I am a bit jealous :D

I recently loooked into doing a level 4 course. I have always loved education (since leaving school that is!). There are so many new courses in our industries that really help to open up career prospects now. Unfortunately due to family commitments and finances I cant do any more structured edcuation at the moment, but I will certainly look at doing further classroom-based training in the future.

hi, sorry for butting in but can i just say that our college did/does acyrlic and gel and fiberglass in our level 3 beauty therapy, or so i'm told! and i know some people who did do that in level 3 so don any of you have that?

x

nails is a 'time out' option at our college, so its optional to do alongside level 3, it about an extra £300+ though.

Latest posts

Back