Look at my poor little gal's sunburn from her school trip, I'm so angry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm Australian and I know all about sunburn. She will be fine, loads of water and a paracetamol and a lie down. She will feel feverish but following the suggestions given above will really help. As a school kid I use to lather baby oil on myself during lunch break in order to get a tan. Absolutely mental! That was over 30 years ago and thankfully things have changed....but not necessarily for the better...

A few months ago I received a call from my 4 year old's school informing me that she had the runs and had soiled her pants. I was at work and couldn't leave immediately so asked them if they could please change her. "no" was the answer. Poor kid had to wait in knickers full of runny pooh until I could get there to rescue her. Charming! :(

Kick off at the school but it's anything like my school it won't do any good. I hate that i have to leave my kids in their incapable hands all day. If I were a teacher I could never be so cold and heartless.

I think the really, really worst bit is that she had a T-shirt with her and they didn't ensure it was on.
Before any trip the school has to do a risk assessment. The dangers of over-exposure would surely have been on it? Or perhaps they were but they were not emphasised to the staff?
I can usually see at least a little bit of the school's side in education-based threads, but I am at a loss here!

In the U.S., we have spray-on sunscreen. Don't you have that where you are? That eliminates the issue of teachers touching children.

As far as the sunburn, we're old pros here in Florida:

• Cool baths
  • Cool cloths applied to the burned area
  • Lotions with aloe vera or straight aloe vera gel applied to the burned area
  • Plenty of water/fluids because she's probably dehydrated.
  • Tylenol for the pain...she may end up with a fever or headache, too.

Oh...and plenty of ice cream. That just makes them feel better.

If this happened when a child was in parents care its would be classed as a form of neglect so why can teachers justify it?? Its PC gone mad xxxxx hope little one ok

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Oh and if at all possible, keep her off school for a few days to make your point and perhaps give Osted a call to explain what happened and the stupid rule about not bringing cream in.

You have absolutely nothing to be mortified about.

I really hope she's OK and hope she gets better soon.

My heart goes out to you both :hug: :hug: xxx

Thank you I'm just so angry I'm helpless to help other than keep it cool and keep her hydrated.

I can't use the all day sun creams eather they just don't work she has very sensitive skin because of her being born so prem and health issues.

When were out in the sun we have to apply every hour or so so it protects her .I just can't believe it.Hugs and love back at you xxxxx

Thank you I'm just so angry I'm helpless to help other than keep it cool and keep her hydrated.

I can't use the all day sun creams eather they just don't work she has very sensitive skin because of her being born so prem and health issues.

When were out in the sun we have to apply every hour or so so it protects her .I just can't believe it.Hugs and love back at you xxxxx

Even with the all-day creams, they usually tell you to reapply if you spend anytime in the water.

Again, don't you guys have the spray-on sunscreen there?

If this happened when a child was in parents care its would be classed as a form of neglect so why can teachers justify it?? Its PC gone mad xxxxx hope little one ok

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Good point! Bring that quote up when you make your complaint.

Even with the all-day creams, they usually tell you to reapply if you spend anytime in the water.

Again, don't you guys have the spray-on sunscreen there?

Yes we do and I have it. The kids aren't allowed to bring it into school. F****ing mental!

My kids are blonde & redheads & they burn quicker than paper! Last year my daughter was at sports day, teachers sat them all in mid-day sun without any protection. She was badly sunburnt. I bought Ultrasun factor 50, 30 & 20. Apply once a day, fully waterproof & it's bloody marvellous! Has an opened life of 3 years without losing any protection. Have used it abroad with kids jumping in & out of the pool & no word of a lie, they all came back from Spain the same colour they went (much to my eldest daughters annoyance LOL). QVC do great deals on it. :)

I think the really, really worst bit is that she had a T-shirt with her and they didn't ensure it was on.
Before any trip the school has to do a risk assessment. The dangers of over-exposure would surely have been on it? Or perhaps they were but they were not emphasised to the staff?
I can usually see at least a little bit of the school's side in education-based threads, but I am at a loss here!

Yes this is how I feel she had a t-shirt on when she went to school so they have obviously taken it off and not pit it back on when she was burning.

I just can't justify this at all it ludocrus it really is xxx

over here they can't (not won't) help a child who soils themselves.

the child has to wait till the parent comes to get them.

it's because they don't want to be accused of anything.

the staff are parents themselves a lot of the time and i'm sure their hearts go out to the child but they cannot put themselves at risk.

it's actually a very sad state of affairs.

Yes we do and I have it. The kids aren't allowed to bring it into school. F****ing mental!

WTF?! Are you kidding me?

Spray-on sunscreen is perfect for the situation. I understand not leaving it in the kids' possession so they can spray each other in the face, but give me a f*cking break here! Look at this baby. She's burned to a crisp.

Sunburns are serious business. This is completely unacceptable.

This is awful Coleen! I'm disgusted.
I understand why they can't apply cream, change nappies, etc. but for heavens sake if your wee one had a tshirt with her why did bloody common sense not prevail?!
I would be livid, poor Billie :( xo

In the U.S., we have spray-on sunscreen. Don't you have that where you are? That eliminates the issue of teachers touching children.

As far as the sunburn, we're old pros here in Florida:

• Cool baths
  • Cool cloths applied to the burned area
  • Lotions with aloe vera or straight aloe vera gel applied to the burned area
  • Plenty of water/fluids because she's probably dehydrated.
  • Tylenol for the pain...she may end up with a fever or headache, too.

Oh...and plenty of ice cream. That just makes them feel better.
Hi thank you for your advice ive done what you have said and I shal keep doing it.

We do have squrty suncream but you still have to rub it in it dosnt evenly spay if you know what I mean it squirts in blobs so totally useless really.x

Proof thay common sense has gone out the window. Poor little thing x x

Lavender oil straight applied to burns eases heat and helps them heal. Do not apply at night as may make hyper. It's better than aloe. As long as skin isn't broken. I have applied lavender to a oven burn immediately and didnt need cold water the heat of burn went immediately. It also helps prevent scarring. Google lavender and burns should come up with scientist that discovered it's healing properties.

I'm Australian and I know all about sunburn. She will be fine, loads of water and a paracetamol and a lie down. She will feel feverish but following the suggestions given above will really help. As a school kid I use to lather baby oil on myself during lunch break in order to get a tan. Absolutely mental! That was over 30 years ago and thankfully things have changed....but not necessarily for the better...

A few months ago I received a call from my 4 year old's school informing me that she had the runs and had soiled her pants. I was at work and couldn't leave immediately so asked them if they could please change her. "no" was the answer. Poor kid had to wait in knickers full of runny pooh until I could get there to rescue her. Charming! :(

Kick off at the school but it's anything like my school it won't do any good. I hate that i have to leave my kids in their incapable hands all day. If I were a teacher I could never be so cold and heartless.

Omg that is heart breaking!! X

Hi thank you for your advice ive done what you have said and I shal keep doing it.

We do have squrty suncream but you still have to rub it in it dosnt evenly spay if you know what I mean it squirts in blobs so totally useless really.x

The sunscreen I'm talking about sprays almost like hairspray.

The sunscreen I'm talking about sprays almost like hairspray.

Yes we have this here!! I first got it from America, but a few years later the UK finally caught on!! Ha ha!! You can actually get it from home ans bargain now!!.is fantastic! X