Looking for an experienced yorkshire hair geek please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bettierae

Reaction score
I've had an awful experience with my hairdresser today. This may go on a bit!

Back in August I went to a new hairdressers. Lovely stylist, had a trim. I have a very definate hairstyle i've had for years, inverted long bob with a super short fringe. I've coloured my hair semi perm blackest black myself for years too. I then went back end sept for another trim. Both times she did a fantastic job.

I asked about having my hair bright red, florence welch red. She said no prob, it would have to be stripped, then coloured. Her advice was, get it trimmed regularly, lay off the heat, and let the colour grow out as much as possible first, I did tell her I was colouring it for the last time the following week as I was away for a hendo and had roots showing. She said no problem, do as advised, grow it out after that until I was ready for the red doing, and when ringing for an appt, to ask for her and to tell them to book it in on a sunday as that was a quiet day and it would take about five hours.

I had another trim about xmas, the colour wan't mentioned, apart from me saying I hadn't coloured it and I was persevering.

About 4 weeks ago, I decided I couldn't wait anymore, I booked an appointment for the following sunday, explaining to the lad on the phone what was said. I asked if I needed to pop in, he said no, that was fine, and he knew what I meant. I had to cancel that appointment the thursday before, and she was fine with it. My other half rebooked it later in the day, for today.

I got there, she asked what I was in for, and I said, for it red. She immediately said, 'that won't go red, I can do you some pieces?'

I replied no, and I thought she was lifting it, taking the colour out with bleach, and then colouring it. She again said she couldn't do it, and to come over to the chair for another look. I said i'd told who answerered the phone, she said, 'ooh no, he is just a junior, he doesn't know'. One, why have him answering the phone and advising and taking bookings then, and two, i've been in there ans seen him colouring on his own before anyway!

I again said, I thought you said you would lift it first, she said, 'mmmm I can try, but I might have to lift it twice, and it'll possibly ruin your hair, and even then, I can give you a red, but I can't say which red. i'll have to keep coming back to check it as and when, as i've got loads of clients in today'.

hmmmm........ I was an upset bunny! She could tell I was upset. I told her i'd got a sitter all day for madam (she knows all about the kids) and that Jamie had the car and had just dropped me off and started to drive out of town home!! I had to ring him to come get him, and walked out of the salon crying. What an idiot I must have looked. I've wanted this done for sooo long, Its been a hard year, and this was a little reward. Gutted isn't the word. Why did she say she could when she couldn't?

I wondered after, if she thought I wasn't going to show, after the previous rearrange, or couldn't be bothered. I'll never go back, and i've recommended loads of my ladies there, to her especially, too.

I'm sorry if this should be a blog, as it is mainly a rant, but there is a question in here too!

My lovely other half was desperate to ring round and find me somewhere else bless him, but I don't want to go somewhere I don't know and trust. Its a big job, and such a big change from mu usual look, I need to get it right.

Can anyone recommend someone? Preferably a geek, keeping it in the geekfamily and all that.... Doncaster, Rotherham, Leeds, Wakefield etc.

Hope someone can advise please, rachael x x

Last edited:
:hug: oh no hun I really feel for you! massive hugs you must have been gutted! I don't know any hairdressers near you as I'm in Southampton but I hope you get somthing sorted soon! xxx

Thanks hun, I don't usually get like this about stuff, but I can't tell you how much I was looking forward to this. Thanks for replying x x

Just bumping this up incase I get lucky and can get a recommendation for a hairgeek x x

....... tumbleweeds.......! lol

I'm no hair geek but from the sounds of it she is advising you not to do it as it will damage your hair and not give you the result you want. It is more that the receptionist should not have advised you that it was ok so to be fair it is not really the hairdresser's fault. The receptionist is in the wrong to have said it could be done when the hairdresser had already told you to wait longer. Also did you mention she had said she needed 5 hours to do it, so needed a quiet day?

She must have been thinking of you as she thought it was better not to just do it and ruin your hair rather than to just try to please you and you to end up with a result that you hated. Just think how much sadder you would feel if you came out looking silly. I know it is a disappointment but she actually sounds very astute as she didn't just go ahead and do a bad job. Why not follow her advise and wait a little longer and get her to do it properly. :hug:

She did say to get it done before xmas, as it'd be lovely to have red hair for then. So i've left it far loger than advised. I did tell him she said she needed a quiet sunday, yeah. I'm more than happy not to have it done if its going to ruin my hair, I love my hair! But she was very confident in doing it in the original conversation. im over it now. sob. I'm happy to wait, i've waited since August. I'm going to stay black, and grow my fringe out, and get black hair extensions i think. I NEED something different. Thanks weezie x x

If you come to Sheffield at anytime then come and see Jenny or Claire at my salon they are fantastic, I promise you will not be disappointed xx

Whereabouts in Sheffield are you? Ooh I dunno now..... I've JUST been and bought my usual black dye, with a sad face! x x

hi ya it seems you need advising on this properly and maybe gets some test pieces done..

no hairdresser wants you to leave their salon with damaged hair and a rubbish colour result, and if she had gone ahead on the the day and squeezed you in that probably would have happened, and you'd be on here asking for advice on how to fix it....

blacks a lovely shiny colour but a bitch to get out.. and if youve been applying it yourself you will have massive build up on the ends..

my brothers girlfriend goes to "cutting room creative" in leeds she has a mad bright copper all over, they have a good rep and won awards etc....

my advice is DONT dye it again and pop in there for a consultation..

oh forgot to say google them for tell no. n address they have a website...
good luck

Latest posts

Back