Losing faith in my tanning solution :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YvonneW2011

Reaction score
Hi all. Had a lady I tanned last Thursday night write the following status today on facebook "I can't believe how awful my tan is! I look a riot!!!" She was quite pale but insisted on the 20% OMG solution, she hasn't contacted me directly but the tan was done 5 days ago. Should I contact her? Or do you think I should leave it? I'm really worried about the fade off of this solution now on clients. Has anyone else found this? I thought I really liked the solution but now I'm not so sure :( Has anyone used OMG and switched to something else? Any help is much appreciated as I'm totally losing faith in my abilities now x

I would def contact her altho I think the main issue is spraying a pale client with a 20%. i would spray a pale client with an 8%.
dont let clients dictate to u. U are the trained professional.
Hope u get it sorted xx

I agree, if she is quite pale like you say, then spraying her with a 20% was a bad idea. I know some people are unique and can cope with a much higher percentage, but for a first tan with you I would explain the reasons and stick to a 10% max.
I would contact her and just ask what the problem was and explain that maybe the % was too high, as this would cause a distinct difference in colour during the fade-off stage.
Although, seeming as she wrote it on your wall before contacting you, I wouldnt think she would answer anyway. Put this one down to experience and delete the wall post,
x

You could contact her and ask if she needs any advice to help her deal with the fade off of the tan.

Just make sure you know what your going to advise her before you call and have several options for her to try.

I have heard that using a microfibre cloth wetted and then rung out to almost dry will help to remove excess tan and even out or remove a fading tan. I have not tried this yet as it was in a recent thread but several geeks say it works.

It is not your fault if the client is experiencing bad fade off, after all tans are advertised as lasting 5-7 days and she is on day 5.

I agree, if she is quite pale like you say, then spraying her with a 20% was a bad idea. I know some people are unique and can cope with a much higher percentage, but for a first tan with you I would explain the reasons and stick to a 10% max.
I would contact her and just ask what the problem was and explain that maybe the % was too high, as this would cause a distinct difference in colour during the fade-off stage.
Although, seeming as she wrote it on your wall before contacting you, I wouldnt think she would answer anyway. Put this one down to experience and delete the wall post,
x

The OP says the client wrote it on facebook but does not say it was on her wall - I am assuming the client has written this as her own status but is facebook friends with the OP.

It is not your fault if the client is experiencing bad fade off, after all tans are advertised as lasting 5-7 days and she is on day 5.

No its not your fault once they leave you, its their responsibility to care for their tan. BUT........with the right aftercare information and the correct tan applied.
If someone sprayed me with a 20% apart from looking ridiculous and probably orange, the fade off would look bad because the difference between base colour and tan colour is such a contrast.

Thanks so much everyone, yes the client wrote it as her fb status and not on my wall. I think I'll put this down to experience and keep the 20% for clients with darker skin. Is this why the fade off is so bad, because the % was too high? Thanks again everyone, I love this forum x

Irrespective of where she wrote the comment, the fact that she wrote it anywhere before contacting you first says it all.
As you say, keep the 20% for darker skinned clients or dancer/bodybuilders. Most tans have an even fade off, but sometimes certain areas will fade quicker and therefore the tan will start to look patchy (also some clients do not keep there skin evenly hydrated so again it will fade quicker in certain areas)
x

Irrespective of where she wrote the comment, the fact that she wrote it anywhere before contacting you first says it all.
As you say, keep the 20% for darker skinned clients or dancer/bodybuilders. Most tans have an even fade off, but sometimes certain areas will fade quicker and therefore the tan will start to look patchy (also some clients do not keep there skin evenly hydrated so again it will fade quicker in certain areas)
x
Thanks hun, appreciate you replying. I just hate it when they don't bother to contact yo and put it all over fb. Makes me feel as though i'm doing a rubbish job! x

Chalk it down to experience hun & dont let it get u down.
In future just say to clients i'm going to do an xx% for you, it will suit u perfectly xx

Chalk it down to experience hun & dont let it get u down.
In future just say to clients i'm going to do an xx% for you, it will suit u perfectly xx
Will do hun, thanks for the advice x

I always advise clients that a dark tan might look nice the day after it's done but the higher the percentage and further away from their natural colour it is the more noticeable the fade off will be.
I don't even offer more than a 12.5% because of this, regardless of the brand a dark tan on light skin will fade off very noticeably as it's such a contrast to the skin underneath.
Just put it down to experience, don't let it get you down, you have to learn from these things xxx

The microfibre cloth in the bath, with baby oil in the warm water and oil on the cloth works wonders for removing tan x

I have tested quite alot of tans for pale blues me included lol The darkest tan I can take without going orange is the organics 14% and use xen tan for those looking for more a natural tan (basically giving you a subtle glow if you dont tan, and eveyone else it adapts to skin tone) hth xx

I tried the OMG solutions, and found it had an orange tinge and flaky fade off, i have read a few bad reviews on here about the 20% OMG has anybody actually liked the results of this tan ??

Hi, I have trialled numerous solutions too and while I found OMG to give an initial good colour, it faded very quickly and not very well, so do not stock it.

I too would never use a 20% on a pale skin, I advise an 8 or 10 and sometimes mix it to get a 9 if I feel they really won't be happy with the 8. That is definitely why the client wasn't happy I would say, they just won't listen!

Look at it this way. Trying to attempt a really dark tan on a fair skin is like being naturally light blonde and dying your hair dark brown. It would look great until the very obvious regrowth kicks in. A really dark tan on fair skin might look great for 2 days (if it doesn't go orange due to DHA overload). It will ALWAYS fade badly if you have used a solution which is not suitable for their natural skin tone.

On a Skin Type 1 or even 2 I would personally never use anything higher than a 10% solution or leave a rapid tan on for 2 hours maximum.

You are the tanning expert, not the client. Recommend and only ever apply a depth of tan which will look natural and with the right before and after care will fade nicely and keep your clients coming back for more.

I use OMG and I'm really happy with it. I've recently tried a couple of others and found they were not as good (imo). My friend uses the 20% on herself and loves it, She is trained in spray tanning and follows all the correct aftercare and I have to say her fade off is great. I think as long as clients follow the aftercare advice, OMG does fade nicely.

Hi there,

Il just quote what the majority of people have said on here... Noway would i spray someone who is pale with a 20% for a tan!
With the OMG range you get a choice of 9%, 12%, 16 and the 20%. I only stick to a 9% on fair/pale skinned clients, i explain the reasons why to the client before i spray them and they are more than happy then to go with the lighter percentage. YOU are the tanning professional, Therefore you know whats what! If they were so persistent, i would of give them a 12% max! and write it on their consultation card that they wanted the darker percentage!
It isnt your fault and you should put it down to experience! Stick to using the 20% on darker more olive skinned clients! I use the 20% in the OMG and i absolutly love it. On the right client it is very natural and not orange! I have quite a good base tan, so i dont notice the fade off, i just gradually go lighter. Spraying someone pale with the darkest solution will leave them with a dreadful fade off because of the natural colour of the skin! Stick to the rule of asking the client what colour they go in the sun, use your own knowlegde also and you will get the best most natural looking result from a spray tan!

Hope this helps!

Betsy

Latest posts

Back