Lots of nail bars closing down - worried !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e_lucy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I have noticed lately in Birmingham ~(my lovely home town) that the majority of nail bars and beauty salons that open up only last months - literally, a really promising one opened up a couple of months back - really funky, realistic prices, and today that was gone too.

As im working really hard towards my goal of opening my own salon (I know this is going to be at least 18 mths off as im still completing various studies) It just worries me that im going to enter an industry and doomed to faliure. Im working very hard to be good and even going to business classes so I have a sound knowledge of "the books" and salon management once it all goes ahead.

It just worries me that especially in Birmingham - city centre and outskirts, most places really do not last long, other than the good old NSS salons ..

any comments? x

Hi Louchia,

Just keep on learning your trade babe. There's enough badly trained people going on out there (UK generally - no specific area IMO) that they are going to all hang themselves soon enough & then the real Nail Techs can step forward.
Have patience hun & keep on learning. XX

Hiya hun!

I too am wondering why this is.... Its the same in my town, though only one other nail bar opened up, at the same time as the NSS (we only have 2NSS in my town) - and they shut down. Saying that it was a huge shop, and they were charging the earth, the NSS charge £28 per set, so thats obviously the reason!!!

I also think that shop prices, locations time of year all effect these things! Its a good thread, I'll look forward to hearing ppls opinion!

x

The same story where I live. My initial plan was to open a salon, so I went to college. There were only 2 salons at this stage. By the end of my 1st year about 6 had opened and half of them shut. Going to stick to working from home. I love it. no overheads, flexible hours, work around school hours etc. Thought that people would be put off going to someones house but the clients that I have got are lovely and all friends of friends. Its surprising how word gets round.

I know a few people who have went to college or private training to do nails thinking that once they have done their basic course they are then qualified to work on the general public.
I have seen some of these nails from people who work in salons and they are far from what I would call acceptable.
A friend of mine has a girl in her shop doing gel nails and I have heard from a couple of my regulars how bad these nails are, only lasting a couple of days, lifting etc.
Anyhow the owner of the shop, my friend has her nails done by me and on Wednesday the girl who does the gel nails is getting her nails done by me, so that says a lot for her nails doesn't it.
I can't understand why my friend is allowing her to do the nails in the shop if they are as bad as I've heard because it isn't doing much for her reputation.
I think some people go into the beauty industry thinking they can make money on the back of a basic course without experience and updating their skills regularly.
You may find thats why salons open and close within a few months.
Yes its fine getting customers through your door but will they return and if you give a bad service word quickly spreads.
Thats my opinion anyway.

I believe that to many people think i's an easy industry to get into. They do a course & go straight into business. IMO that's why so many fail. You have to be prepared to put in the hard yards. If you take your training & practice seriously there's nothing to be scared of. There will always be a market for QUALITY WORK. While some people will alway go the cheapest option there are plenty of people who understand you pay for quality & they are the clients that you want anyway.

I think there are many more factors than meets the eye.

Properties on the whole are very expensive and whilst you may have the best business plan in the world, things never go to plan and the rent you though you could afford becomes a struggle and hence this could be the reason why so many are shutting in your areas.

Times are hard for many nail techs/salons/and probably even some wholesalers with the knock on effect.

Why don't people GET IT???

Shops close down when the standard is not GOOD in fact more than not good .. not excellent.

I don't see any excellent technicians on this site who are struggling do you? IN fact most are too darn busy to post anymore.

The ones who are struggling are the ones who think doing nails is easy, who think doing family and friends is enough ... who are mobile and amateur (as opposed to mobile and professional) ... who think they know it all after a short course ... who want everything cheap etc.

This nail industry is not doomed to failure ... it has been hugely successful for more than 25 years ... and will continue to be for those who take it seriously.

The strong ones, the ones with a business head as well as technical expertise will still be there when all the others have fallen by the wayside.

geeg said:

Shops close down when the standard is not GOOD in fact more than not good .. not excellent.

I don't see any excellent technicians on this site who are struggling do you? IN fact most are too darn busy to post anymore.

The ones who are struggling are the ones who think doing nails is easy, who think doing family and friends is enough ... who are mobile and amateur (as opposed to mobile and professional) ... who think they know it all after a short course ... who want everything cheap etc.

This nail industry is not doomed to failure ... it has been hugely successful for more than 25 years ... and will continue to be for those who take it seriously.

The strong ones, the ones with a business head as well as technical expertise will still be there when all the others have fallen by the wayside.
SO TRUE. I don't see the nail industry as struggling at all. I think the beauty industry as a whole is growing. More & more people are having different treatments. They might start of going somewhere cheap, then they meet someone with better nails, that has less problems & enjoys the time they have with their tech better. Who wouldn't be happy to pay the little bit extra for all that. I know I would.

geeg said:

i have only been doing nails since nov o5 i have spent a lot at the creative academy in leeds and working my way through all the courses available, next 1 is 5 april spa manicure pedicure. i dont have many clients and have spent a lot on advertising in lots of different ways. i take 2 and A half hours to do a full set which i think puts people off but i will not compromise on prep or resort to whit tips. i am finding it very tuff but i WILLsucceed if it is the last thing i do. there are thousands of nail techs in leeds to compete with. i have never been so determined in my life. just wanted to get that of my chest. OFF TO PRACTICE AGAIN!!!!

Geeg is right. Maybe these salons are closing down because of standard. In my area more and more people are learning to do nails. they think its going to be easy and half of them give up. Before i done the foundation course i was the same, i thought it would be easy and i would be doing great nails sraight away. But obviously i was wrong. Ive been doing nails for nearly a year now and i know i am far away from being perfect. Ive had lots of clients that have come from other salons who are not up to standard, clients dont want to pay for nails that are not great.

moanie GND said:
i have only been doing nails since nov o5 i have spent a lot at the creative academy in leeds and working my way through all the courses available, next 1 is 5 april spa manicure pedicure. i dont have many clients and have spent a lot on advertising in lots of different ways. i take 2 and A half hours to do a full set which i think puts people off but i will not compromise on prep or resort to whit tips. i am finding it very tuff but i WILLsucceed if it is the last thing i do. there are thousands of nail techs in leeds to compete with. i have never been so determined in my life. just wanted to get that of my chest. OFF TO PRACTICE AGAIN!!!!
Good for you. It's a long road but one well worth travelling.

I don't agree that it's just down to being an excellent nail tech. I know a few techs and their skills are amazing. They use the best products and are committed to life long learning. However, they struggle like the rest.

Of course, the biggest problem on the high street is competing with the £15 a set merchants and clients are not loyal; they'll go where it's cheap. Remember, they're not your friends so don't think they'll worry about going elsewhere.

My friend has a beautiful salon and she's cheap but she still can't get them through the door. The high rent is killing her and she's not taking enough to even cover her outgoings. I dread to think what the future holds.

She's tried all manner of special offers and promotions and you know what? All it attracted were tight people and people that were just treating themselves as a one off. She had a very famous footballers sister book in for a treatment who is a C list celeb nowadays in her own right and not short of a few quid. The treatment was £17.50. However, she called back to cancel saying that another local salon had a special offer on for £15.

Listen to this: Another beauty therapist only goes there when there's shape and polish offer for £5 (using all the best products). Anyway, she turns up clutching a bottle of acetone and says "I thought I'd soak my nails off whilst I'm here." My friend said "Well actually, that's a service I offer myself so I'd rather you didn't." She really took offence.

I was at Selfridges yesterday in Oxford Street and I think that if I was going to open a salon, I'd make it very exclusive and that would be reflected in my prices.

Above all, be honest with yourself. Are you good enough? Do you need to work on your skills?

Let them think they're lucky to have you...............not the other way around.

Thanks for everybodys responses. I will not give up on my dream and strive to be excellent, if it takes me 2 or 20 years to get there so be it. It is very intresting reading everyones reactions and oppinnions on this topic. Its what makes this site just FANTASTIC.

Thankyou x

I understand where you are coming from kimmi. But i think if you do good nails that last then clients will come back. In our salon we have recently employed another nail tech who has been doing nails for 8 years and she cant take on any more clients. Her clients moved with her when she came to us and we found out from one of them that her old salon was offering her clients a discount if they came to their new nail tech. But not one of them went. She is one of the best nail techs in our area, her clients obviosly would rather pay for good nails.

I think the trouble is as well that a lot of start up businesses really don't have the experience of running a business. You only have to read the posts on here with so many new techs panicking because they don't have many clients .... well you won't unless you are extremely lucky.

Building a business and a good clientele takes time. This is not factored into most peoples' business plans, they seem to expect to open their doors and be buzzing with business. They don't realise that the established salons also started with an empty appointment book and had to build a reputation to attract new clients. You must keep back some of your capital to cover you through the quiet times.

BTW as Kimmi says, offers only attract cheap clients. I remember years ago I went to a pottery in Devon. The guy had been struggling to stay afloat so he saw a business advisor who told him to quadruple his prices ... he did it and never looked back. People perceived his work as high quality and an investment and so valued what he produced. Yes, there will always be cheapskates, but there are those who will also pay a price for quality and skill.

marie111 said:
the girl who does the gel nails is getting her nails done by me, so that says a lot for her nails doesn't it.

not really, I dont do my own nails- not cos im rubbish as it, I just dont want to, I know there are others on here that dont do there own either :D

I don't agree that it's just down to being an excellent nail tech. I know a few techs and their skills are amazing. They use the best products and are committed to life long learning. However, they struggle like the rest.

Of course, the biggest problem on the high street is competing with the £15 a set merchants and clients are not loyal; they'll go where it's cheap. Remember, they're not your friends so don't think they'll worry about going elsewhere.

I agree with Kimmi.

Speaking from a very personal perspective, I don't have a lot of extra cash, as a matter of fact, after I've paid all the bills, send money home to SA etc, I don't have any money left ! I used to love my hairdresser, she always did a fab job and always treated me and all her other clients like royalty Always got a couple of drinks while you were there, nice biscuits and chocolates etc, always felt pampered. But she increased her prices from £35 to £60 and I could no longer afford to go back to her every 5 weeks. I have no dispute about her ability and skill as a hairdresser, I just simply can't afford her anymore.

I think this happens with a lot of clients as well. They might think you are the best thing since sliced bread, but if they don't have the money, they don't have the money. You need to cut back somewhere, and little "luxuries" like this tends to be the first to go OR you find someone that does it cheaper. They might not do as good a job as your previous tech, but you fool yourself into thinking that you are still "treating" yourself by having it done. I did a Psychology Degree and could really get into human nature and how our minds work !!

I think the trouble is as well that a lot of start up businesses really don't have the experience of running a business. You only have to read the posts on here with so many new techs panicking because they don't have many clients .... well you won't unless you are extremely lucky. Building a business and a good clientele takes time.

Secondly, I agree with Sassy. We do somehow expect to open our doors and be flooded with clients. I certainly thought I would have at least 1 client a day, and it hasn't happened. I am mobile and work my butt off to advertise and get my name out there, but it's a very slow process.... even more so because I am mobile and don't have a salon that advertises "itself" or has passing trade.

I think a lot of people do pay huge amounts for setting up their salon, rent etc, and then fall flat on their face because they don't make enough money to pay for it all, simply because they thought they would have a lot of clients from the word go. It doesn't necessarily mean they were bad techs etc, perhaps just a little bit naive.......

River

Hiya,

I completely understand wot Kimmi is sayin. I work from and surrounded by NSS that do full sets for as little as £18 with free art work!!
Although I thoroughly enjoy what I do my prices aren't as high as they should be. A lady I know saw my prices and commented that a women in the local market were doing hers cheaper,but as she knew me and seen my work she would come and support me, I'm still waitin!! (obviously not waiting!!)

Having read such encouraging words of wisdom from Zoe et al, I too will continue to learn and provide a professional customer focused service.:hug:

I teach in a local FE College and I know they dont always have the best of reputations, but I pride myself in the quality of training and the honesty that my students receive. Dont let anyone tell you this is an easy business to be successful in. Its takes years (I been working for 6 years and continually learning) to achieve excellent quality, professional nails. I almost put my students off at their induction, explaining that if you think you are just going to turn up here for 18 weeks and at the end by a professional nail technician, THINK AGAIN. As for a 2/3 day short course. I tell my students that in the early stages of their careers strive for QUALITY and not QUANTITY. Above all else be passionate and care about what you are doing and producing. People will begin to recognise you as a professional. I am turning down clients as I am so busy, so just hang on it there. IT IS SO WORTH IT......EVENTUALLY:lol:

Latest posts

Back