Lots of nail bars closing down - worried !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LISA A said:
I teach in a local FE College and I know they dont always have the best of reputations, but I pride myself in the quality of training and the honesty that my students receive. Dont let anyone tell you this is an easy business to be successful in. Its takes years (I been working for 6 years and continually learning) to achieve excellent quality, professional nails. I almost put my students off at their induction, explaining that if you think you are just going to turn up here for 18 weeks and at the end by a professional nail technician, THINK AGAIN. As for a 2/3 day short course. I tell my students that in the early stages of their careers strive for QUALITY and not QUANTITY. Above all else be passionate and care about what you are doing and producing. People will begin to recognise you as a professional. I am turning down clients as I am so busy, so just hang on it there. IT IS SO WORTH IT......EVENTUALLY:lol:

Can't tell you how good it is to see someone who is teaching in an FE college and is as dedicated as you are. Congratulations ... the peeps in Stevenage are VERY LUCKY to have you.

The Sass is back and full of wisom as usual. A business plan is so important. I have a sneaking suspicion that many woman dream about swanning around in their own salon just for the glory of it and don't spend enough time planning and thinking about making money.

Good to have you back Kimmi, it's been a while ....:)

River

River said:
Good to have you back Kimmi, it's been a while ....:)

River
Thanks River. I've been out the loop for a while because of the strict diet I've been on. I've spent so much time on food websites that I haven't had time to geek LOL. xxxx

Hi Lucy I know how you are feeling hun, I have been in the beauty/nail trade for about 13years. I have worked in 8 salons and because the owners have all put alot of money into them they also have closed within a few years. I have learn't by their mistakes and have only recently gone self employed while teaching part time especially this time of year can be quiet! Where do you live in brum I live in a little town wednesbury I've gained a good rep and some clients from my old salons as well as new clients.Just don't run before you can walk and gain a good faithful clientelle. Ali xxxxxx

Kimmi Rocks said:
Thanks River. I've been out the loop for a while because of the strict diet I've been on. I've spent so much time on food websites that I haven't had time to geek LOL. xxxx

That's just sad ! :D :D

Glad your back.

River

I dont think I would ever open another salon...its just too competitive...I was so busy working in the salon that I couldnt spend the time working at the business. If I did open another salon I would have a partner who could keep the financial side of the business going while I would work my arse off doing the things I love...nails and beauty. Its not enough to be simply good at nails - you need to have a good business head (which I havent!!). Maybe I should have identifieds this weakness before I opened a salon...btw I had plenty of clients but I still didnt make any money!!!

Cec said:
I have also been wondering about something I have seen here, that don't make any sence to me... It seams like a lot of you take courses and courses and courses and courses... If you don't have much customers, you still take courses to build your skills... WHY??? Why pay SO much monney for courses when you don't have any customers??? Who do you want to impress??? I CAN see a lot of neg. rep. point for this...
the majority of techs who take courses do so to better themselves and get better techniques, surely that's a positive step to gaining more clients... better tech = more clients ???

Cec said:
Hi!

I read a little bit of this thread before I went to work today, and as usual, I always have something to say.

I think that the worst thing with this industry is.... (don't KILL me for saying this...) houswives and dreams.... I can't tell you how often I hear: "Ooooh, my dream is to open my own salon.... blah, blah, blah....". Come on, to open your own salon may be a dream, but the dream is NOT always a GOOD dream. So many of you want to do this as a "part-time" job at home so you can keep in touch with your children and family too. Some of you have succeed but the fact is, that there are lots of such techs that don't have and never will either. To start you own business has to be a "family-affair" if you are going to succeed. Your family have to understand that you have to work when THE CUSTOMERS want you to work, not when your baby is going to have a nap... This is ONE side... which lead us to another side...

All those "kitchen-makers" (haha, I wonder if that was a Norwegian-English word???) will ruin the proffessional marked, so all in all, THEY will not "do it" and the salon-owners will not either....

I have said it before.... WHY on earth don't you rise the prices in UK??? IF you all did, there would have been more room (monney) so nailtechs could work for other and get a decent salary from it. AND salon-owners would also have earned some monney on having people at work (NOBODY wants to hire people without earning monney on it.)

As Kimmi said, it's not always down to being a good tech either... The marked is SO full of techs and also some good techs, so I think you have to have something more to offer. Not always fruit, coffee, etc... but some personal skills. The customer have to LIKE you and you have to make that contact at once. I have a lots customers who only want to go to me because, they think I am the best, BUT they also LIKE to talk to me. NOT because I talk about weather, but because I dare to discuss with them! They really enjoy our discussions, they have told me.

I have also been wondering about something I have seen here, that don't make any sence to me... It seams like a lot of you take courses and courses and courses and courses... If you don't have much customers, you still take courses to build your skills... WHY??? Why pay SO much monney for courses when you don't have any customers??? Who do you want to impress??? I CAN see a lot of neg. rep. point for this...

I also see a lot of you buying stuff, stuff, stuff... but no customers... Why?
The first years of building a salon you HAVE to be careful with what you buy... You can't always buy everything you want to and always the best (I'm not talking about products you need to do nails). For furnitures you may have to choose the next-best, or maybe something not "best" at all :-D. I have been to this industry for 8 years now, and I still have to think about monney, always. And THAT's one of the "not-so-good-things" with having your own salon....

OK, enough from me... I can see it's been a while since I wrote English, I hope nobody misunderstand me because of my baaad English today.... I really don't want to offend anybody, but sometimes the language-barrier can make my English a little bit "harch" as I can't get nuances... Did you understand that??? :-D

Cec.

Very interesting points you mentioned there Cec.
Dont forget, stop worrying about your English.:hug:

hello all.
Did you know that the inland revenue do not expect small buisnesses to be in profit until they have been trading for at least 3 years?
Did you also know that over 60% of buisnesses fail in the first year because of a lack of start up capital?
We would all of us love to have our own salons, but the sad fact is that unless you, as Sassy said, have a buisness plan you wont make it no matter how much talant you have.
Here in N'ton we have a fantastic hair dresses called Richardsons, they had three thriving salons and I am sure factured in every eventuallity for the three places. Except for one, our council disided to triple the buisness rates with effect for 30 days time for the shoping mall in kingsthorpe. The salon closed two weeks later.
My point?
you need money, clients, talent, a good buisness head or a trust worthy buisness partner,lots of determanation and a nest egg for emergancy as well as a good dose of luck to suvive in buisness today.
These nss salons that everyone dispises so much have lots of venture capital, cheep labour force and a quick turn around, you have to be special to compete with that and all cheep gets you is broke, you can not compete with these people on their terms you have to make people prefer you, ie, oh yes she cost more but her nails are rock solid and you can have a good old natter with her.
Oh god I've written another book:lol: here endeth the lesson:eek:

Well said CEC:) you have said a lot of what I wanted to say myself....I remember the days when I went home with bleeding fingers, arrived back home at 9pm on Xmas Eve to wrap presents, going without lunch, doing all my accounts on a Sunday as that was my only 'day off', cried when a good tech left, cried when I had to sack a bad tech....no it's not easy...but it's bl**dy fantastic when you've MADE it work, you've done the training, put in the hours, given not just good, but EXCELLENT customer service.

In the 8 or so years I have been in business, I have seen SO many salons open and close, the most recent (2 streets away and cheaper than us) didn't open until mid-late morning if they didn't have a client booked in, closed early if they didn't have a client booked in....ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? Of course this is never going to be successful, this industry needs commitment...your time, your money, your skills, your CARE!!!

It's a great industry folks, that's why there are so many of us on here night after night trying to improve ourselves, but it's not about swanning around looking good, telling staff what to do and expecting success...want success? BE COMMITTED TO YOUR CRAFT AND YOUR BUSINESS:!:

Cec said:
As some of you have mentioned... a good tech isn't always the same as having much clients.... And more courses without clients, will be less monney, and still no clients....

For me it seams like some of you take courses just to have a new diploma at your wall...

Cec.

I doubt that the case unless people have money to throw away, im sure most people take courses to learn and develop their skills- which is the whole point of the courses!

a couple of things to add...
i agree whole heartedly with pazzy about running a salon. it has taken me a very long time to come to terms with the fact that even thou i have been very successful building a client base (not only for me, but for at least 10 other members of staff over the last 10-12 yrs!), winning compititions, travelling and doing fabulous jobs like fashion week and photoshoots and building my academy,
i havent really moved forward financially.
i now accept the main reason for this is that as pazzy says, im soooo busy doing clients, competing etc, that i neglect the business side of things. not so there are massive problems, but so that there isnt any financial growth.

the other thing is i live in a small town that has about 30,000 population. in the last 10 yrs i have spawned 4 complete nail salons, 5 self employed nail techs and still have 4 members of my team.
all the 4 salons and self employed techs are still going strong.
we have 1 nss salon right in the middle of town, it has been there 3 yrs. they do ok, but they are definately not taking our clients, they tend to pick up the young girls and young mums.
the average price in town for a full set is £40.
i also teach, last year i had 29 new students from around kent on foundation classes, and over 20 on inductions.
when i went to hair/beauty college, the percentage of students that finished yr 3 was less than 10%.
to my knowlege, 1 of my graduating classmates are teaching and there is me!
so its nothing new for a lot of students to fall by the wayside, it doesnt just come down to skill and business acumen, it sometimes comes down to how determined you are to slog it out.

fiona wallace said:
Well said CEC:) you have said a lot of what I wanted to say myself....I remember the days when I went home with bleeding fingers, arrived back home at 9pm on Xmas Eve to wrap presents, going without lunch, doing all my accounts on a Sunday as that was my only 'day off', cried when a good tech left, cried when I had to sack a bad tech....no it's not easy...but it's bl**dy fantastic when you've MADE it work, you've done the training, put in the hours, given not just good, but EXCELLENT customer service.

In the 8 or so years I have been in business, I have seen SO many salons open and close, the most recent (2 streets away and cheaper than us) didn't open until mid-late morning if they didn't have a client booked in, closed early if they didn't have a client booked in....ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? Of course this is never going to be successful, this industry needs commitment...your time, your money, your skills, your CARE!!!

It's a great industry folks, that's why there are so many of us on here night after night trying to improve ourselves, but it's not about swanning around looking good, telling staff what to do and expecting success...want success? BE COMMITTED TO YOUR CRAFT AND YOUR BUSINESS:!:

I agree with everything you have said, there are lots of salons that just dont make it, but I know lots that are and its becuase the people who run/own them work soooooooooooooo hard and it is becuase of that they are successful!

I have the same most of my clients want them to look as natural as they can, which I do and they love them- i think FAKE looking nails aren't big at the moment

i think the natural look is definitely taking over from the footballers wives look. you never see a classic well to do person wearing false nails. they tend to be well manicured or have very good natural looking enhancements. i try to promote the natural look and also am trying to push natural manicures. a friend in scotland has a salon and all her well to do ladys have natural manicures and pedicures that is her big money maker now. she is doing less and less enhancements, not cos she is no good... she is. but fashions change. if your target client is young, go with the french square look if in late 30's and over, offer natural look or if they have good nails offer natural manicure... bigger proffit margin.

I must admit to not reading every word of every post on this thread, but it seems to me that, AT LAST, some sensible comments are being made!!

I apologise if I'm not listing all the Geeks who are making sense, but you know who you are!

As Geeg said (or something similar!)

DON"T YOU GET IT!!!!!!!!!!??????????

This is a business. It is commercial. It is the real world.

Great nail skills and professionalism are essential but they are not the whole picture. I do worry about this industry because it is getting 'tacky'!!! There are too many 'hobbyists' who consider themselves professional. This is bringing us all down.

It's lovely to see so many of the 'pro Geeks' taking part in a good debate! There have been so many of the 'my tips cost me £1.50 more, where can I get them cheaper' and 'should I spend £300 on a course when I can get one for £250' brigade lately.

No apologies for my sentiments. I consider myself a professional (but still learning) I work in a professional, commercial environment and wish there were more true professionals working in this industry instead of the many individuals that have been very well described in this thread.

mum said:
I must admit to not reading every word of every post on this thread, but it seems to me that, AT LAST, some sensible comments are being made!!

I apologise if I'm not listing all the Geeks who are making sense, but you know who you are!

Great nail skills and professionalism are essential but they are not the whole picture. I do worry about this industry because it is getting 'tacky'!!! There are too many 'hobbyists' who consider themselves professional. This is bringing us all down.

It's lovely to see so many of the 'pro Geeks' taking part in a good debate! There have been so many of the 'my tips cost me £1.50 more, where can I get them cheaper' and 'should I spend £300 on a course when I can get one for £250' brigade lately.

No apologies for my sentiments. I consider myself a professional (but still learning) I work in a professional, commercial environment and wish there were more true professionals working in this industry instead of the many individuals that have been very well described in this thread.

lol, that certainly put a smile on my face, I dont think you have any reason to apoligise every word is true- very well said :)

If people aren't prepared to put hard work, training and money into it they arent going to get anywhere- it takes a long time to build up to having your own salon and you have to work extremely hard once you are there to stay there!

mum said:

I second that.... it has taken me 12 years in my little set up here in the city centre of London to get established.....
I have been single minded and stubborn enough to slog it out....
Salons have come and gone, not because the Technicians are bad or their work is rubbish, but investors have pulled the plug on them..... They saw the New Booming Nail Industry as a quick money spinner..... they wanted to see a return for their money in the first year.....I started here in the city when nails where for the ladies that lunched or the top end of the earning bracket...I went for at least a couple of years without making a great profit, all my money was put back into the business... every penny was accounted for and banked, I stuck to my business plan, packed lunches and smart stock shopping. Payed myself a token wages just enough to cover my expenses, Keep regular hours on a full time basis, I was and still am there regardless of what my book looks like.....I have seen so many new Technicians start to rent a space, but if you want to book you are being told sorry she ain't here today, because she had no bookings.... what's that all about???? I wonder if Mr. Woolworth made his first million with this sort of business attitude lol....
So many new Technicians see our profession as the goose that will lay the golden egg as soon as they have passed the first course, it takes time, hatch the egg first, nurture it, keep it warm, then slowly watch it grow, but tend to its every needs...and I am still sitting on that nest and hatched a few cuckoos too, I have had so many highs and lows that I thought I am on a rollercoaster....But you know what, its been and still is a hell of a ride xxx

What a good topic!
As usual i am on here v.late at night,for one cos i am addicted,and secondly because it is the only time i have when i dont feel i should be doing the books,or returning calls.or making new plans etc etc.I started my first salon (beauty only ) 27 years ago.At that time there were very few salons here,and the prices were really cheap in all of them.The wages were poor,the hours long,but it was perceived,to be a glamourous job -ha .Beauty Therapists had to train at private colleges which cost the earth-my Dad paid for mine,and i am sure he had to borrow money to do so.
Hairdressing was the same and sometimes for NO pay at all.As part of my beauty course - CIDESCO i had to work in a salon for 1 Year,for nothing! and at the end ,my boss had to fill out a form on my strengths and weaknesses,so you had to be on your toes ALL the time as you can imagine.A the end of my 2 years training i was lucky enough to get a job as a junior for 17 pounds a week!
Everyone who trained with me at that time is STILL in business today,mainly because of the work ethic that was instilled in us then,which appears to be lacking nowadays.That salon did not make a lot of money but i was more than happy to make ends meet and also proud to be running my own business,but i learned by my mistakes and slowly got smarter.My bank manager said that ;small is beautiful: basically you can control it better ,so i stayed small ,worked ever hour that God sent
and began to make a good living -but i was exhausted and bored.so i took some risks invested in new products and ideas,some good ,some terrible ,always new trainings,my clients liked that about me ,i always led them to believe as i did that they were recieving cutting edge treatments even if they were not!The hairdressing business began to pay much better and a few years later beauty wages started to improve bigtime,as clients became more familiar.so my prices went way up as a result.
Nail treatments prices will definately go much higher over time,and those techs who are 100% professional and have ambition,and are prepared to take a few risks and go by their instincts,spend money on excellent training,never settle for second best, have a capacity for hard work,and are determined to suceed,WILL.
mrs o

Latest posts

Back