Make up brushes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenorcutie

CND EA
Reaction score
Hi folks!

I want to treat myself to a new set of professional make up brushes. Wondered if any of you could recommend a good set or make for me!

Thanks

I am a make-up artist & I just love the MAC brushes (although invest in a few cheaper ones too). You can buy them as seperates from a MAC store, if you have a trade card you get them cheaper. Otherwise you can find them on ebay usually sold in sets for around 60 pounds for 10 brushes. Hope this helps :)

fab, will give them a look.
thanks

I am a make-up artist & I just love the MAC brushes (although invest in a few cheaper ones too). You can buy them as seperates from a MAC store, if you have a trade card you get them cheaper. Otherwise you can find them on ebay usually sold in sets for around 60 pounds for 10 brushes. Hope this helps :)

How do you go about getting a trade card if your a registered business?

you have to show them proof of your make up qualifications. Theres details about it on the mac website.

MAC all the way!
I started my collection last year and i just try and buy 1 or 2 a month, they really are a great investment, they will last a really long time if looked after proparly! just make sure when you wash them you dont get the metal bit or the handle wet as this can cause it to break away from the actual brush if exposed to water continuously, you can also get a mac brush cleaner from the store which you just put a bit onto some kitchen towel and kinda swirl the brush in to clean it- this is really good for MUA's if you need a quick clean on the go! but for a more thorough clean you can use baby shampoo :green: xx

Hi I agree mac are amazing I have a pro card which costs 25 pounds and gives you 30% discount for one year email them for an application form but you need to provide proof of profession. Also I love becca makeup and brushes bit more expensive but again discount pro card, there's is free and gives you 30%. Again proof of profession. Also illamasqua which is fab, offer a range of discounts depending on pro makeup artist beauty therapist etc. And is free. Laura mercier again is another great makeup and brush range. I did my makeup course with AOFM in london and got a free brush set on course but you can purchase it for 100 pounds X
Hi folks!

I want to treat myself to a new set of professional make up brushes. Wondered if any of you could recommend a good set or make for me!

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

I use a mix of Cozmetic Lab, MAC, Sisley, and Crown brushes.

I use a mix of Cozmetic Lab, MAC, Sisley, and Crown brushes.

Yes i am pretty sure Crown are the manufacturers of MAC's brushes too :green:

Mac for favourites, crown for everything else. Fantastic quality. I personally wouldn't buy mac brushes from ebay, there are whole forums dedicated to counterfeit mac product and brushes, and its very easy to get good looking fakes, if that makes sense! IMO the fakes are a tad scratchy and really shed hairs.

Bobby brown I don't use, but they have a good rep, but again, be very aware of fakes.

I have just got a chanel smudger and its gorgeous.

Estee Lauder brushes aren't a whole lot cheaper than mac, but are at the same high standard, plus they are blue perspex and look really smart, easy to get hold of from boots, debs, house of frazer etc, and of course Estee Lauder are the parent company of mac, so you have guaranteed quality. Hth, Rachael x x

I have MAC (old, before the EL takeover) and Bobbi Brown in my collection but the foundation brush from the Body Shop, a kabuki brush from my local Korean grocery shop and angle and brown brushes from Manicare beat the big guns hands down.

It really does pay to check out the brush in person and try it out. You'll save yourself $$$$ on stuff that just doesn't work.

Otherwise you can find them on ebay usually sold in sets for around 60 pounds for 10 brushes. Hope this helps :)

At that price it's a dead cert that they are fake.

I used Louise Young brushes on my training course and they are fantastic!

not sure for certain but as far as i know mac do not sell their brushes in sets like on ebay. they are all mostly counterfit sure look at the price and it tells you alot. I didnt know crown made mac brushes thats a nice bit of info to find out.:)

MAC for me all the way. NEVER from fleabay.As previous poster I try to buy 1 or 2 at a time and am building my collection up sooooo worth it. Go to the website to find your nearest store if you don't want a pro card :hug:

i have mostly mac brushes in my kit, but have just bought a set from louise young for only £50 and am now converted!

crown produce brushes for mac so my be worth giving them a try

also ruby / millie do some great brushes, i love their foundation brush

HTH,

thanks folks!!! mac brushes it is!!!

which crown brushes are the same as mac. just thinking beauty show in a couple of weeks cant wait:lol:

I've heard lots of good things about Crown Brushes (fantastic quality, wide range & very affordable), same with Illamasqua brushes..though not quite as affordable!

The Japanese brand (but based in UA) Hakuhodo might also be worth checking out....though they are pricy, so for serious MUA really i guess! Hakuhodo USA

Until i can afford the above, I do like using MAC brushes but find the handles get a bit tatty after a while, although that may be to do with my cackhandidness (that totally is a word...right?) two days after i got my 187 brush i spilt superglue on it...on the BRISTLES!!! :cry:

Out of Crown i would maybe try to find something similar to the MAC 187. It's a multi-use brush...excellent for applying both cream/powder foundation & powder/cream blush, highlighter/bronzer, so would minimize the amount of tools you would need. All you'd have to do would be to spot clean in between products perhaps.

This was my first post btw...hello!

I have a mixture of good brushes ie. Laura Mercier, MAC, Screen Face but my favourite is a large round generous Dior powder brush. I love it :green:. It was expensive but fab for the job.

May I add that the Body Shop foundation brushes are very good and do a lovely job too.

I love mac and some bareminerals, but I also really like sigma brushes and the sets are really good value.

Latest posts

Back